Online reamp services?

GreenDank

Are there may online places to get reamping done through some killer amps if you send them a proper direct-recorded clean guitar? Something where you could test ride your song out with a Mesa, Orange, Soldano, and some other expensive amp I can't afford right now? For a fee of course.

Or do any of you yahoos wanna improve your reamping skillz by doing it on the cheap?

GreenDank said:
Or do any of you yahoos wanna improve your reamping skillz by doing it on the cheap?

I may be interested. What kind of music is it?

man...100 bucks for a track...190 for two....270/3...

say you've got 3 songs...with a doubled rhythm and a lead.

9 tracks...i would think if you had that sort of money ($800)..you could already get a good amp, and for a bit more, you could find a used vox ac 30 or something.

and i would think if there's no mixing, no eq...it really shouldn't take too long. he's making 800 bucks an hour, while about 36 of those minutes he's sitting there? (4 minutes a song)

man...100 bucks for a track...190 for two....270/3...

My guess is that a doubled part would not cost double, but I dunno really. My other guess is that it's probably negotiable.

Also remember that there's thousands in mics and preamps there.

The guy's name is on 50+ million records or something, so he doesn't come cheap.

I've definitely seen other studios offering this service as well but can't recall specifics at the moment. If they don't advertise it, they probably would gladly do it because it is so straightforward. If you have a favorite studio, I'd just ask.

Byt, hey, if people are willing to do it for free then it's certainly worth a try.

NL5 said:
I may be interested. What kind of music is it?

well, the next tune I'm working on is a really basic thrashy/melodic metal instrumental; just some riffs and such I've been kicking around to keep me from going crazy since I don't have all my recording gear with me right now (not that I have all that great a setup anyway). I gave up on vocals a few tunes ago. After 15 years of people telling me my vocals suck, I've finally taken the hint.

I'm going to use a jcm900 emulator on one guitar and a type of external analog amp emulator (I won't mention the name, I'll just catch slack for it), but I thought as a backup I may see if anyone wants to take one or both of the main rhythm tracks and reamp it. probably just one, and I can meld that with one or both of the emulator tracks that sounds best. I need to finish programming the drums for it, and I may be done in another week or so.

have you practiced vocals? don't let people get you down. you may really suck, but i've heard some pretty strange vocals. ween, OLD bright eyes, joanna newsome. if it sounds like you, there's usually people that like it

and i would think a doubled part would be just as much. it's a different take and he has to do all that strenuous sitting twice as much.

cello_pudding said:
9 tracks...i would think if you had that sort of money ($800)..you could already get a good amp, and for a bit more, you could find a used vox ac 30 or something.
And then what? You mike it in a basement or a garage with a 57 through a Firepod and it winds up sounding like the same ol' homebrew recording that everybody and their cousin makes?

With a service like that you're paying for use of his studio space, his inventory of microphones, preamps and git amps, along with his years of knowledge and experience. And you'll wind up with tracks that'll mix and master better, too, allowing your entire mix to get a more professional polish on them. Looked at that way, $800 for three complete songs is not a bad price at all.

Of course that's all assuming that one is serious about their production. If one is just kicking some tracks around like Green Dank, then I'd recommend sticking with the emulator and spending some time working with it; he can get some perfectly fine sounds out of it if he learns how to use it right.

The song comes before the sound.

G.

GreenDank said:
well, the next tune I'm working on is a really basic thrashy/melodic metal instrumental; just some riffs and such I've been kicking around to keep me from going crazy since I don't have all my recording gear with me right now (not that I have all that great a setup anyway). I gave up on vocals a few tunes ago. After 15 years of people telling me my vocals suck, I've finally taken the hint.

I'm going to use a jcm900 emulator on one guitar and a type of external analog amp emulator (I won't mention the name, I'll just catch slack for it), but I thought as a backup I may see if anyone wants to take one or both of the main rhythm tracks and reamp it. probably just one, and I can meld that with one or both of the emulator tracks that sounds best. I need to finish programming the drums for it, and I may be done in another week or so.

When you get ready PM me and I will give you some FTP info to upload the wav file, or if you have a way to send it to me, i will give you my email addy. I make no promises, but I will do it just for fun.

I would give this a try for free within reason... I do quite a bit of reamping

throw up a clip and be very detailed what you want... even a commercial example if possible. this can be difficult not knowing the sonic framework of your song and may require several tries..

I have several amps, speakers, cabs and quite a few mics...
Amps...
Krank - Rev1
Mesa - Mk III and Dual Recto 3 Ch Solo
Framus - Cobra
Peavey - 5150
Carvin - Legacy
Fender - 60s (Bandmaster, Champ, Princeton Reverb)

Cabs...
AMPEG V4
Mesa 2x12
Framus Cobra

Speakers... (more than willing to move speakers between cabs)
V30
Greenbacks (Vintage and New)
V12
G12T75
GS1275

Mics (for cabs)...
57 w/o transformer
ATM650 (my fav cab mic)
i5
e609S
MD421
more...

Pedals...
TS9
OD808
Boss SD1
MXR Phase90 (the original)
DynaComp
Boss DD-6
more...

Last edited:
Sonixx said:
I have several amps, speakers, cabs and quite a few mics...

shit! you weren't lying were ya!!

Nice collection there :cool:

on you need is a Royer R121 ribbon and top class pre and you're in geetar heaven!

hey thanks... having an assortment of amps is a lot of fun.

I've considered a 121 several times but just not pulled the trigger yet.

I have a pair of R84s that I have used on occasion.

Wow! Thanks guys. Maybe whoever is least busiest in about a week/week and a half, we'll give it a shot.

I need to finish programming drums, and I'll be able to pickup my direct box this coming week to properly lay down the clean guitar tracks.

Yes, in a scenario like this one, I won't use the service that's a hundred or so per song, but it's nice to know it's available. I think it would be worth it if I was "taking things to the next level." More than buying an amp, since I can't really crank up a Krank/Mesa/Marshall in my house these days, and I already have a small arsenal of amps.

I should really take vocal lessons. But until then, it's the limiting factor in my songs.

We've been doing that sort of thing at Mercenary for a while now... we have a monster amp collection and damn near every mic that is worth a shit.

The way it works is you send us the track [or tracks] you want re-amped along with a copy of the song and we get the sound that will smoke for your application... then email it back to you.

The price will depend on how much time it takes us to get the job done... though usually averages around $100- per.

If you think about it... getting an engineer with 30 years experience along with a couple hundred grand worth of tools for $100/track ain't too shabby.

We mix stuff too if anyone is interested in that service... price depends on the complexity of the song and the quality of the tracks... the better the tracks sound the less work it takes to mix the project... the less work it takes to mix the project the less money charged.

Make sense?

Back