One quick question

Ray J

I posted this in another forum, and I know a lot of people around here are really anal about cross posting, but maybe this is a more appropriate forum. (Another favorite of the gang, posting in the wrong forum).

Here it is. I have an md8 multitrack ( a minidisc recorder with no digital outs) so I will be going analog out into a cdrw/cdr recorder. Most of the non consumer decks boast 20-24 bit A/D converters. The philips 775 would fit my needs and pocket book really well but, it,(a consumer deck if I'm not mistaken) states 1 bit A/D converters in it's specs. My Question is, is 1 bit as bad as it sounds? Does 24 bit have 24 times the resolution as the philips? Or is 1 bit somehow something philips uses and it really represents 16 bit?

Anyone?

Ray J

Well, posting a question about two digital recorders in an analog only forum is probably some kind of record when it comes to wrong posting. :)

No, it's not as bad as it sounds. How it actually works is very technical and totally wrong for this forum. It is also besides the point, because you can't figure out the sound quality from specs alone.

Back