One of the nicest sax and guitar Jazz recordings I've come across.

  • Thread starter Thread starter rob aylestone
  • Start date Start date
rob aylestone

rob aylestone

Moderator
I found this randomly on Youtube - and it's a jazz guitar and tenor sax. You can hear so much what is a simple recording. Just a great example of the right mics, in the right place - balanced and treated just right! We have to guess what was done, but whatever it was - it's a fine job.
 
I think both are exceptionaly recorded - but it's the music that shines - and I think that's why I think it's a good recording.
 
I wonder if the guitar was just DI'd? It's a really lovely sound. My playing is now really poor compared to years ago, but I really wish I'd put some effort in to play that kind of jazz!
 
I actually went and looked for a second hand jazz style guitar. Then saw some you tube videos with really nice tone and one guy was getting it from a 335 - which I have hanging up in the studio and never play because it just feels weird. I figured that clearly I have way too far to go to play that kind of guitar, so also decided buying another guitar was stupid.
 
I actually went and looked for a second hand jazz style guitar. Then saw some you tube videos with really nice tone and one guy was getting it from a 335 - which I have hanging up in the studio and never play because it just feels weird. I figured that clearly I have way too far to go to play that kind of guitar, so also decided buying another guitar was stupid.
With the right amp and microphone many guitars can be good jazz boxes - Ibanez and Yamaha make some good Jazz boxes that don't feel like ES 335 - the Revstar with P90s would make an excellent Jazz type guitar - expecially if you got the Chambered guitar--- I think it is the Chris Buck Signature model - but honestly if you took any of your guitars (not Fenders) and put them on the neck pickup and then fooled around with the EQ - you would get a similar tone as the video - minus the Hollow Body type sound.
 
I founds another interesting video - this ones just for the sheer amount of expensive mics! Coles and Royer ribbons and loads of what are probably 87's - I started to count them, but gave up!
 
Back
Top