one mic solution for old time sound

doc rust

Hello all, I'm new to the forum here, and had a mic question. I am a songwriter and i play acoustic music i mainly do country blues, ragtime, and other early roots forms of music. I play a steel bodied resonator guitar and sing, Iand am accompanied by a slide guitarist using a small tube amp, Ia trumpet player and a percussionist. I am planning to start recording digitally, after the demise of my beloved tascam 4 tracks. I am planning to grab a zoom h6 and will transfer tracks to cubase via usb for minimal mixing. I want to record live takes with one mic for all instrumentation in mono to achieve an old time sound. And I have had a couple of people suggest a ribbon mic. I have done some research and have found some models that seem good for the price. The cascade vin jet is on my list as is the fathead. plan to run a cloudlifter cl-1 between the mic and the h6 provided i can't find a tube preamp to actually do nice warm coloration to the mic within a modest price range ( $350 or less). I am always looking at these forums and for acoustic music a one mic solution usual is an LDC with a figure 8 pattern or a ribbon someone suggested using dynamics for the old school sound another said maybe a baffled pair of omni mics an and now I'm second guessing myself then i see the placid audio copperphone which has a cool sound like an old record, and seems like i could use , but idk if it would be a worthy investment or more of a novelty. I like the smoothed over top end that short tailed ribbon mics seem to have and think that both my voice and the resonator would pair well with the darker character of the mic. Then of course there are tube mics. Most of the stuff i was recorded analog, of direct to wax. I want a simple setup so i can get some playing done and have some character to my live room recordings. But i don't have alot of money to spend so i have to make a decision. Any input resources or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just start with the Zoom and see how those recordings sound via the XY set up of the on board microphones. Then build from there.

When you talk about reproducing "Old Time Sound" it reminds me of an interview with T.Bone Burnett concerning his production of the Robert Plant/Allison Krause album. In the studio, he used every conceivable period correct microphone, instrument, amp, etc... to make the album. I cannot recall if the album went as far as being recorded on tape but the goal was to reproduce the feel of the 30's-40's. I've never heard the album but it would have to sound great if someone is that detail oriented on the task.

The album was Raising Sand and it is awesome. T bone Burnett is definitely a super big influence, love Tom Waits too. Trying to do that everyone circled around the mic and play approach.

Why not just start with the Zoom and see how those recordings sound via the XY set up of the on board microphones. Then build from there.

I have used this recorder before, and though the mics are nice they aren't really what i why im buy ing it, more for capacity, xlr inputs, and ease of use. I may have projects that the xy sdc setup could capture in a desired light, but what i am trying to accomplish right now calls for a mic with a specifically vintage character. Ribbons have it, carbon mics have it, i'm sure tube mics do too. But i don't know what to get, plus i'm feeling GASSy lol

crystal mic?
Ribbon mic might get you there.
Moresound makes a good point though. I'd give it a whirl. :)

Back