One cymbal tarnishes way faster than the others.

RawDepth

When I clean my high hat cymbals, (Paiste 802) they turn brown again within one week. They get that dark tan color like a fresh baked turkey. I don't like that color. I want them to look clean and shiny like all my other cymbals.

They do clean up nicely and look new at first, but a few days later they have heavy tarnish and look like crap. All of my other cymbals stay clean for months after cleaning. WTF?

How do I stop this from happening?

( I really don't want to put car wax on them as that will make them harder to clean next time.) Any ideas?

Well 802's are made of an b8 alloy [ 92%copper 8% tin ] and the browning is just natural oxidation because the sealer that originally was on the cymbal to prevent this process has worn off, hence the color of an old penny. I have no idea what you can do to fix it other sending the cymbal back to paiste to have it resealed....they probably would be happy to do it, for a small fee im sure.

Yeah you done lost the coating somehow, probably through neglect or improper cleaning. Paistes generally need nothing more than a gentle wipedown with a mild soap. I think you're SOL.

Yeah you done lost the coating somehow, probably through neglect or improper cleaning. Paistes generally need nothing more than a gentle wipedown with a mild soap. I think you're SOL.

I got the cymbal used a few months ago. Although it was not very old, I don't know what it has been through. Apparently they scrubbed it with some harsh product.

I got the cymbal used a few months ago. Although it was not very old, I don't know what it has been through. Apparently they scrubbed it with some harsh product.

Pretty common. Nothing you can do about it now. Just roll with it.

I gig a lot, and the FIRST thing I do when I get home is clean my cymbals. It might be 3:30 am when I walk back in the door and I still pull em out and wipe em down with warm water and a tiny dash of dish soap. My current batch of cymbals is going on about 5-6 years old now and have been through tons of smokey sweaty gigs and countless recordings, and they still look and sound brand new. I don't want a bunch of grimy handprints and smoke-machine dust all over my shit. That's just me though.

...I don't want a bunch of grimy handprints and smoke-machine dust all over my shit. That's just me though.

I know what you mean. Me too.

I guess this won't hurt anything. They still play and sound fine. In fact, they are fast becoming my favorite of the three sets of hats that I own. They are 13" and have the sweetest sounding high pitch chick for recording. So, I guess it's only a minor problem. I'll deal with it.

I'm not a drummer, but I have a studio kit, and I bought a lot of used cymbals for it, most of which arrived pretty tarnished.

After cleaning all of them to remove the tarnish and put back some shine...
...I took some basic Turtle Car Wax, applied a coating, buffed them out.
They have stayed shiny and untarnished (some for several year now) and they also resist finger print marks and whatnot.

I'm not a drummer, but I have a studio kit, and I bought a lot of used cymbals for it, most of which arrived pretty tarnished.

After cleaning all of them to remove the tarnish and put back some shine...
...I took some basic Turtle Car Wax, applied a coating, buffed them out.
They have stayed shiny and untarnished (some for several year now) and they also resist finger print marks and whatnot.

Hmmm, I always thought that wax might be a bad idea. I'll think about it.

Since yours are already tarnished and the coating is gone, you could try some brass or bronze polish. Really though, a dingy looking cymbal isn't gonna seriously affect it's sound. Sometimes old and tarnished cymbals are little darker sounding, but that could also be because it's really broken in by the time it gets to looking like shit. They're not any more fragile or anything. It's all just cosmetic. If it ever gets to the point where the patina turns green and starts pitting, then you have a problem.

Miro, I wanna see your waxed cymbals. I've never heard of that. Put up some pics. Car wax fills in tiny voids and scratches in painted surfaces, but I don't see how it would do anything positive for cymbals since they're raw metal. I guess it could make them repel moisture? Wax leaves buildup though. I wouldn't that shit on my cymbals.

Mmmmm....we're not talking about any heavy *wax* coating. It's not something you can see in a picture, or even in person. :D
It's such a thin, microscopic layer, that it's not visible or "feelable"...you don't see wax in the grooves or anything.
If you took your fingernail and ran it through the groove, you are not going to pick up a layer a "wax" on your fingernail.
Also....it's basically been a one-time application, so no "build up". I've got cymabals that have had it at least 7-8 years, and I've never had to put on another coat, but I'm sure if you used cymbal cleaner on them, it would strip it right off if you wanted/needed to ever re-clean them.

It seemed like it was a good idea, so I tried it, it works great and the cymbals sound fine. I've had two drummers check them out and they were both surprised at how well it worked and said, "Hey, I never thought of that, will have to try it out".

I mean...a layer of oxidation and tarnish can end up being much thicker (and keep growing), and change the cymbals from their new look and sound much more than a microscopic layer of car wax/polish...so IMO, the wax layer is insignificant in that regard...
...but try it out on one cymbal and see for yourself. Everyone usually has some spare/extra cymbals, so you don't need to do it on your every-day cymbals if you think it will be detrimental to the sound.

That wasn't a call-out, I'm genuinely curious. I'm gonna try it on some old junkers I have. I got an old B8 ride that's damn near black with age and crud.

That wasn't a call-out....

I didn't read it as such. :D

I said I was not a drummer...so I accept any skepticism from drummers.

Really try it out...I've been quite amazed at how well and long the cymbals have stayed untarnished.
I mean...if there is even a slight change it sound, it might just smooth them out a touch...but I couldn't hear any difference.

Well wax isn't supposed to be abrasive, so I'm assuming your cleaning process got em shiny and the wax is just protecting it. What did you clean em with? I've used brasso but it's pretty harsh. Fine for already tarnished cymbals, but I certainly wouldn't use it just as maintenance cleaning. It will definitely wipe out the protective coating.

Yeah...Brasso and there was another type of brass cleaner (can't remember the name). Sometimes it was a bitch when I got some real old/used cymbals that had dark tarnish...but I just kept rubbing sometimes with one of them softer (not the real abrasive ones) green scrubby things.

Then I would take them and wash them off with some warm dish soap right after brass cleaning, as the brass cleaner leaves a layer of black film even if you wipe them down good with a dry towel.
Then I dry them off right away, and use some Turtle Car Wax...the "creamy stuff".
Just a quick/thin coating, then I buff it off with a clean towel.

They come out shiny and smooth...and you can see right away how they resist finger marks and such.
I guess a lot of it also has to do with the climate you live in...plus some guys have that caustic sweat that eats through everything, so even one touch and it will blemish! :D

Maybe I'll write to Paiste like dreib suggested.

Yea , go to paiste's web sight and click on contact, you can type your question or comment. They have always been super cool about responding to their customers requests. At least in my expeirence!

Yea , go to paiste's web sight and click on contact, you can type your question or comment. They have always been super cool about responding to their customers requests. At least in my expeirence!

Done! I explained the problem and asked if there is anything they can recommend to seal the cymbal again. Awaiting their reply. Thanks.

(I'll spit my coffee all over the monitor laughing if they say to try car wax.)

Done! I explained the problem and asked if there is anything they can recommend to seal the cymbal again. Awaiting their reply. Thanks.

(I'll spit my coffee all over the monitor if they say to try car wax.)

:laughings:

Maybe you drummers who actually buy brand spanky new cymbals would know (I only bought used ones)....but do the manufacturers put any kind of finish coating over them at the factory? I'm thinking there must be something they use as they polish them to a shine...it can't be raw, unfinished metal...?
Anyone know....?

:laughings:

Maybe you drummers who actually buy brand spanky new cymbals would know (I only bought used ones)....but do the manufacturers put any kind of finish coating over them at the factory? I'm thinking there must be something they use as they polish them to a shine...it can't be raw, unfinished metal...?
Anyone know....?

They do. That's why they generally need just minor maintenance with soap and water and harsher cleaners do more harm than good. But once that protective factory coating is gone, it's all over for the good looks. Even their ugly "unfinished" lines have a protective coating on them.

I know paiste seals all their lines but im not sure about zildjian or sabian. Some jazz dudes love cymbals with a thick patina. I think it looks like shit.

Back