OMF Export

Albertm

Have a midi project I am sending from Sonar 5 PE to Protools. WhenI go to File/ Export, the omf command isnt highlighted (link not working). Anyone know why this would be? I've tried it with everything highlighed or not highlighted. The export/ audio is good, not the omf. Thanks

Albertm said:
Have a midi project I am sending from Sonar 5 PE to Protools. WhenI go to File/ Export, the omf command isnt highlighted (link not working). Anyone know why this would be? I've tried it with everything highlighed or not highlighted. The export/ audio is good, not the omf. Thanks
It is not needed and wont work. A midi file is a midi file, you just export a midi file and thats it. With audio, for some reason I can export an OMF file (version 2) but it doesnt contain midi tracks, only the audio tracks.

I transfered OMF files from Sonar to PT today, worked perfectly but they were audio only.

So if I export it as a data file, he shuld be able to put into PT? Or do I export each track seperatly and send ? thanks

Albertm said:
So if I export it as a data file, he shuld be able to put into PT? Or do I export each track seperatly and send ? thanks
Do you have audio or only midi?

If it is only midi file, you simply save it as a midi file and bring him that. If it is audio, you export an OMF file. You then burn that to disc as a data file and then bring him that. For options you choose

1. Embed audio within OMF

2. Seperate tracks into dual mono

I dont know how to do an omf that has both audio and midi, but it shouldnt matter. If you have both in a project just make an OMF for audio and a midi for midi. Make sure you remember what tempo the track is so both of your files line up.

Albertm said:
Or do I export each track seperatly
No. An OMF will have all the tracks in all the right places. Label each track well and dont leave any unnamed or have the same name as another because PT doesnt like that.

When you start the OMF, you will see on the bottom that it is making a copy of each track. It's very cool. Oh, make sure that the studio can transfer it. PT needs a plugin and I think? It is called digitranslator or dv toolkit. It needs that to work with an OMF from SOnar.

Back