Olympics Thread

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
I'm sure some of you will be watching. I'm quite an avid Olympics watcher. Just watching highlights of the opening ceremony with a coffee and looking up when all my favourite events are. Really into Olympic boxing and want to see if Nicola Adams can defend her title.

I might catch a few of the bigger events, and some final matches...but I'm not into it like I used to be.
Years back...the Olympics would be on the TV for the entire time, but I don't want to put in that much time anymore...and this year, with all the negative press and drama surrounding Rio...it's sorta taken away the hype and enthusiasm.

Feel free to post up key events/matches when they are coming up...'cuz I'm honestly ignorant of any names to watch for in this Olympics (OK...Phelps and the swimming will be on my list). I've been busy with other shit, so I've not even checked out any of the run up to the Olympics this time around.

What are the big events for the USA to possibly do well in?

I might catch a few of the bigger events, and some final matches...but I'm not into it like I used to be.
Years back...the Olympics would be on the TV for the entire time, but I don't want to put in that much time anymore...and this year, with all the negative press and drama surrounding Rio...it's sorta taken away the hype and enthusiasm.

Feel free to post up key events/matches when they are coming up...'cuz I'm honestly ignorant of any names to watch for in this Olympics (OK...Phelps and the swimming will be on my list). I've been busy with other shit, so I've not even checked out any of the run up to the Olympics this time around.

I've no idea. Hopefully not any of the ones that the UK are likely to do well in.

I love the Olympics. I think it's a really dated idea and the IOC is the most corrupt organization on the planet, but it still intrigues me. I generally prefer the winter olympics though.

I quite enjoyed all the hand-wringing and negativity surrounding having these olympics in what is seemingly a disgusting, violent third world country. I can't believe it actually happened. Might as well have the next one in somalia. I'm kind of just waiting for something horrible to happen.

So it looks like the US has already won a gold medal in......air rifle? Seriously? Air rifle? Shooting BB guns is an Olympic event? WTF. I guess it makes sense we'd win something that involves shooting though, so go USA!

Idk all of them, but I've heard we are stacked in female gymnastics, basketball (duh), swimming, and that evidently we have a really good fencer this year. I'm sure there's tons others though.

Also that opening ceremony was quite possibly the most boring thing I've ever watched on tv.

---------- Update ----------

So it looks like the US has already won a gold medal in......air rifle? Seriously? Air rifle? Shooting BB guns is an Olympic event? WTF. I guess it makes sense we'd win something that involves shooting though, so go USA!

USA! USA! USA! Lol

Just got finished reading an article about how polluted the rivers are that run into Guanabara Bay where many swimming and boating events will be taking place. Many of the homes in the barrios in the area have plumbing pipes that essentially just exit the house and terminate there. Not hooked up to any sewage system. The runoff eventially just flows down to the rivers and to the bay.

Brazil had agreed in their bid to clean up 80% of it, and they didn't even come close. Should be pretty cool when a kayakers' paddle brings up a used diaper. :eek:

Of course most of the athletes will be so pumped on steroids they're probably immune to any of that nasty bacteria anyway.

So hey, Go USA!

Idk all of them, but I've heard we are stacked in female gymnastics, basketball (duh), swimming, and that evidently we have a really good fencer this year. I'm sure there's tons others though.
l

Women's soccer. Our ladies' soccer team is supposed to be pretty bad ass full of bad ass chicks.

Was just reading an article about some company's algorithm that estimates the US will win 102 medals, with about 40 golds and ~30 silver and bronze each. Said Phelps will probably get another 5 golds, giving him a career haul of 28!

Women's soccer. Our ladies' soccer team is supposed to be pretty bad ass full of bad ass chicks.

Yup, it is indeed. Most of the same team that won the World Cup is back!

In our house, the Olympics will be on the TV most of the time, whether anyone is watching or not.

We'll be looking for the tae kwon do and boxing events. Womens Beach Volleyball (on now) and maybe a few others. I might watch the sailing and marathon swimming just to see if anyone chokes on raw sewage.

Like Greg, I like the winter events more. Downhill and the Giant Slalom are so frikkin cool. 100mph on a pair of skis.

I'm actively against the Oilyimpics. Professional sports people an, corruption & money diversion are the main issues for me. For the 2000 Olympics in Sydney schools were staved of funding for a couple of years prior.
OH and our state govt. has made it MANDATORY to teach about the Olympics during the event.

I tracked some vocals yesterday while the opening ceremony was on. This would otherwise have been impossible on a Saturday morning but everyone was inside watching, so I grabbed the opportunity.

I predict that Australia's slide from "punching well about our weight" as at Sydney 2000 to "underachiever" will continue, alas.:eek:

Although I believe we've won a bronze in archery so we're currently ahead of the Brits, who have banded several entire separate countries together under their flag of convenience operating model, just to boost their medal tally.:laughings:

IOH and our state govt. has made it MANDATORY to teach about the Olympics during the event.

Dang man, teaching about something that only lasts 2 weeks and happens every 4 years must be brutal for you. How do you live under such brutal dictatorship? :)

guitaristic,
apart from me being opposed to the event on political, economic and grumpy grounds, the fact that it's pushing kids towards television, & TV on a commercial channel full of - COMMERCIALS, or other AV equipment, nothing is removed from the curriculum to make way for the Oilyimpics. It's there to fit in beside Maths, English, Science, History, Geography, Creative & Performing Arts, Personal Development, Health, Indonesian (Languages Other Than English), Library/Research, Computer & other Technology, Social Skills, Leadership, P.E., Transition to High School etc in an already crowded week.

Btw, one of the women on the gymnastic team (Laurie Hernandez) is from my home town.

[/egregious name dropping]

Last edited:
I predict that Australia's slide from "punching well about our weight" as at Sydney 2000 to "underachiever" will continue, alas.:eek:

I may have to revise my opinion. Can we stop the Olympics right now, at this point in time?

I'll just leave this here...
Capture.PNG

I've never understood what's supposed to matter more - total medals or gold medals? For me, I think gold medals matter more, but they keep tally like total medals means something. Fuck a bunch of silver and bronze medals. Gold medals go to the winner, and everyone else lost as far as I'm concerned.

Back