old song new stuff..

Jamal Bucket

..ok some of you that have been around a while will remember this from looooong ago....i decided to add some drums...i know there are issues still with them ...and added a vocal outtro ...

i dunno does it suck even worse than before??

http://www.nowhereradio.com/mynewhead/singles

under :FLAWGIC FILES ...."sunset eyes newer".

thanks
jamal

im not really the one who should be reviewing anythign mix wise...im not exactly experienced..

ive left the song on repeat since ive got it , i think its real cool...real catchy , i like the vocals alot , think ya did good with the back ups for sure...

not sure if it means anything but im getting some light sibilance(?) when i listen with headphones...but on my monitors its fine

sounds real clean..i like it alot for what its worth , sounds great to me.... cool song

later
gary

you might wanna' change the link...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1647&alid=640

The one you posted goes to your singles page, where there is a version of the tune.

I like the drums ... there's a spot or 2 with some "Jamalnimity," lol...but I just can't get hypercritical on this.

Man, the outro vocals are cool too.

Dude, lmao...sorry about the autotune mangling of some of those backups, but I like 'em. I played something on this, but I can't remember what now. The bass sounds decent to me, so I assume I didn't play that, lol.

I just always have loved this song. Second tune I heard of yours, and even with that **note** in the original solo, I dug it. It's better now :D

Hope all's well in your world, friend.

Also listened to "Farmer's Tan."... how did one get by me? PHUUUCK I've been busy. I like the guitar work at the beginning a lot...the file totally cuts off, lol... not unexpected, really.

Hey Jamal. Nice tune. Has a 70's feel to it. Kinda reminds me of Bread. I cant really comment on the mix cause my ears are ringing from well mixing-lol. Great vocals and lyrics. Sounds like you put some work into this one. This is a great song man.
I need to get to bed dude......
Myx

Hey Jamal this is really great. i listened to both versions. I can't tell which one i like better. thery are both great. About the only thing i could nit pick about would be the snare sound is a bit too dry for my taste. Other than that this is really well done. You are an extremely skilled song writer. Good job for sure!

Very nice song Jamal.

Mix wise, sibiliance on the vocal is being carried out excessively by the reverb. I'd suggest either EQing it out of the track before the reverb, or if you can cut some highs out of the reverb (4.5K to 6K?) it might help.

Good song, good singing!

Really nice. Nice interplay between those parts. Great tune and arrangement. And love the singing as usual.

I'm thinking the bass is out of tune. Even if it's not, it's the bass that seems to be the weak link. It could use some more body down there.

The snare sounds a little tinny too, like you might have pulled out too much of its bottom.

echo both sluice and analytical comments jamal.

so that's where chrisharris went.

how's the baby? good i hope.

slap leather... chris must've added acoustic gtr to this... has that "country fried" thing all over it... :D

Cool song...

The drum "playing"... the rhythm is really good... they have the right kind of groove...

Sounds like a good candidate for a re-do... VOCALS are the strong link once again. Great harmonies

The snare sound seems wrong for this arrangement... needs that tamer, almost "muted" duct-tape-to-the-head snap instead of that SSHHHKKK it's got now. And yes... some more ambience on the kit would be good, too.

Some good comments in your thread.

C

participant....you're a crack whore? everytime i think of crack whores i think of cat-eggs' jurinal. it's one of those things that everyone should read.

Jamal

I like this song and especially this MIX.
I caught the mix on your singles page and this is much more suited to the material.
It does have a sort of Eagles, America 1974 type vibe to it:D

Strings 'n Vocals

Great balance of instruments in the beginning.
I can understand every word on the first listen.
But at some points there is a little ghost tickling me ... that maybe just maybe ... I might have to struggle at some point to understand the lyrics. That irks me in a lyrically driven song, where the vocal is so outstandingly performed, but IMHO, it's not 'standing out' enough.

A cello in the intro with low long sustained notes could work well. and then out at the entrance of the verse at 00:16.

A low cello walkdown at 00:57 with the guitar would be effective, just a few notes there, as that figure in the guitar appears a second time, for contrast.

Very nice harmony vocals.

There's room for some of the same with the violins two octaves up, when that 'walkdown' figure repeats itself later, for contrast.

I like the drums, but they are to loud.

The texture at 2:15 is thinner and more mid-treble, that's where the walkdown with a violin section would work well for contrast to the cello before. Instead of rounding it down with low cello support, emphasise that it is a thinner more treblely section, with the violins walking down ... or walking up in harmony.

Then maybe, maybe ... cellos and violins together on that figure later for some finality and structure to this 'hooking fill' walkdown with the use of strings in the piece.

The strings should be mixed as the element furthest back in the mix. Just for color, warmth, body. Yes, we should struggle to hear exactly what the strings are doing, very unlike the approach to the vocal, because 'what the strings do' is unimportant, what 'they are', color, warmth, depth ... that is IMHO what strings should be in this piece of music.

Right on the punch at 3:15, low, long, cello tones can accompany, starting right on the drum punch at 3:15 and continuing, creating bottom end harmony support for the harmony vocals ...
just mellow, gentle, long cello notes to support all the way through to near the end and stopping just before 4:00 to completely expose that last bit of vocal.

Very nice piece of music, pretty song, very fine vocal performance. I'd like to hear the vocal come out a bit, perhaps less compressed, because your natural singing is fairly compressed.

Drums sound good Jamal,just seems like the kick and bass are competing a little.
Needs a touch of eq unmasking mabey.:D

Vocals are great,the drums really bring the song to life.

Great tune,
Pete

I like the guitar tones in all of your songs Jamal, especially Marginal and Flawgic. Drums are iffy though, sounds like you miced computer speakers playing back Fruity Loops, heh. Anyways, cool song.

Drums sound pretty good. I like the tamb'. snare sounds a little too hot. and needs some fat on it. The bass has a mic'd sound which is full but lacks some definition. Vocal mix is nice and naural sounding. Guitars are good. would have like some more presence on the 'lectric fills .

....niiiiiiiice vocs man!

Really pretty tune here. I remember this'n. This is a nice contrast to the kind of material that you usually put up. A very nice "track 4" on the My new Head album.

Like i said, im at work.. ...so a good mix critique aint coming from me, but from here the verb "might" be just a touch heavy. That's a big "might" because i cant be sure on these speakers.....
......this was a worthless comment wasnt it:D :rolleyes: ...sorry:(

Great song man! Your recording chops are getting better all of the time.
gw/5

Great song. I've heard this before, as I remember some of the lines. However I don't remember it well enough to compare versions. So here's my take on this one.

Vocals could be smidge more up front. Although the guitars sound great, I'm afraid they might be working in some of the same areas as the vocals (I'm guessing here). Tough decision, I'd hate to lose that nice sound, but I really think the vocals are the focus for this song. Maybe pan them a little harder?

Solo guitar towards the end has a real nice tone to it.

Snare sound is not quite right for this song and maybe a tad too loud. The rolls also sound a bit mechanical.

All of the above are really nits. This is nice work!

Back