Oktava MK,MC 012 Mods

muttley said:
CHECK OUT RECORDING MAGAZINES ( SEPT ) ARTICLE ON THIS MICS MODIFICATION UPGRADE !!

da MUTT
I like my matched pair of Oktava MC-012's from the Sound Room the way they are so I won't be doing any modification to them... but, I'm curious what the mod is and what it's suppose to do?

I'm curious if there's anything there that Scott hasn't already explained two years ago on UseNet and elsewhere.

bongolation said:
I'm curious if there's anything there that Scott hasn't already explained two years ago on UseNet and elsewhere.
He covers that stuff and goes futher explaining the circuit function and problems with Oktava manufacturing. It's a very interesting read, if nothing else.

All my recent 012 needs is an upgraded FET, input cap, bias resistor and leak resistor.

Re: Re: Oktava MK,MC 012 Mods

DJL said:
I like my matched pair of Oktava MC-012's from the Sound Room the way they are so I won't be doing any modification to them... but, I'm curious what the mod is and what it's suppose to do?
Hey, DJL, what would be REALLY cool is if you could pop the cover off one, shoot a pic or two and post it! If I could see the circuit board I could tell you whether or not it could be significantly upgraded.

In Scott's article, he says that (I hope it's ok to quote this :confused: ) "...weird substitutions will often be found in some of the Oktava mics that are not purchased through a dealer who specifically selects them." In light of this, I think it'd be interesting to see the insides of the Sound Room’s and compare them to the insides of Guitar Center's.

If you decide to do it, you'll need a jeweler's screwdriver close to the same width as the ones holding the casing in place. Obviously, you’ll first need to remove the capsule. Next, turn the screws clockwise just until they go past the casing. This won't be far as the casing is very thin. If you go too far, they'll fall out inside the mic, which isn't a big deal. You'll just have to be careful not to loose them before you thread them back in.

Once the screws are recessed enough, grasp the "connecter-end" and carefully, twist and pull the casing until it comes loose. It may help to take your thumb and push the “capsule-end” down into the casing while pulling on the other end. Mine was in there pretty tight.

Just remember when putting it back together, the “capsule-end” needs to be centered in the other end of the casing, before it’ll go back together completely. When together, line up the screw holes and back the screws out until they are fairly snug.
:cool:

Flatpicker said:
He covers that stuff and goes futher explaining the circuit function and problems with Oktava manufacturing. It's a very interesting read, if nothing else.

All my recent 012 needs is an upgraded FET, input cap, bias resistor and leak resistor.
Funny, I thought I remember him saying that the later FETs were OK. What does he say to replace them with? I'd like to see the article, though I don't know where I'd find it locally.

Did he say where to get those 1G-3G resistors?

I might bag some of these on Labor Day if GC has a killer deal on them, in which case I might do some mods. We'll see.

Re: Re: Re: Oktava MK,MC 012 Mods

Flatpicker said:
Hey, DJL, what would be REALLY cool is if you could pop the cover off one, shoot a pic or two and post it! If I could see the circuit board I could tell you whether or not it could be significantly upgraded.

No thanks, I'd just screw it up... if I was ever to want to do the mod, I'd do it to one from GC.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oktava MK,MC 012 Mods

DJL said:
No thanks, I'd just screw it up... if I was ever to want to do the mod, I'd do it to one from GC.
I didn't mean do the mod. Just pop off the cover and take a pic. :)

FP,

Are those 012's still going at silly prices over your way?

There's some guy on Ebay Australia, selling two s/hand 012's with a start price of around $500Aust the pair......that's approx $300US.

New here, they have a list of over $700 each and the best price I have seen is $495, and that is for the single capsule and pad version.

ausrock said:
FP,

Are those 012's still going at silly prices over your way?

There's some guy on Ebay Australia, selling two s/hand 012's with a start price of around $500Aust the pair......that's approx $300US.

New here, they have a list of over $700 each and the best price I have seen is $495, and that is for the single capsule and pad version.

Yup. $75 until Sept, 1 but then they're only $99.

Back