OK, so who has tried the Nady ribbon??

TNO

There was a lot of talk about this one a few weeks ago. Surely some of you guys just bought one? How close do they get to the classic ribbon sound? Self-noise?

i would really like to hear about this as well. are they comparable in quality to the oktava ml-52? is the oktava even decent? my roomate has a beyer m500 that i sometimes borrow and i NEED a ribbon for guitar cabs now.

it seems that nady isnt too good at marketing their stuff. Big Surprise? Maybe they dont care much...i dunno. I dont think anyones really had that much incentive to even think about buying one to try out. I tried emailing them to see if they would work with me on getting a demo mic for me to review. Didnt even get a reply. That just tells me that they are lazy or they dont really feel that the mic is going to stand up for review. Maybe they are relying that some dumb idiot will try it unknowingly.

Hopefully that dumb idiot will find out that its actually a great mic and share the news with everyone else.

But i think so far everyones first assumption is that the mic will be junk. Number one being that its nady, two being that people that have gotten glimpses of the build of the mic say that the ribbon is placed wrong...

But who knows. Im open minded if i could ever get a chance to try one myself.

Danny

NADY RSM-2 Microphone

OK Folks. I did in fact actually bite the bullet and buy one of these mics. I did it because I reasoned that the Chinese - as a now serious force in tube
audio - have to be better at making transformers then they are at making
quality condenser diaphrams. The materials involved in a classic ribbon mic
are all pretty straightforward. And, I liked the basic design and look. (And right now buying a match for my Wess Dooley re-furbished RCA 44 BX was
financially out of the question).

The mic itself is very solidly constructed. It is smaller and lighter than a 44
(THANK GOD!) and uses a standard mic stand thread.

I haven't had a chance to really put it through the paces, but I put it up against my 44, and A/B'd some speach and scratch vocals. I was astounded to discover I liked it better than the 44. It gives a smooth round classic ribbon sound without quite as much boomy proximity effect. A no-brainer for horns, but will probably be great for orchestral and large ensemble Jazz
recording. It has a higher output than my 44 (again a +) and so far I can't find a thing I don't like about it. Like all ribbons, it's fragile, should never be used for close vocals without a good pop filter, and will be compromised by strong transients (i.e. this is not the mic for drums or ear splitting amps). I got mine at about $259.00 new with case and warrantee. Published specs are great... and NO this is not a paid endorsement. I ordered another one yesterday so I had a pair. Like any ribbon, they require a very quiet pre-amp with PLENTY OF HEADROOM. At that price what do you have to lose?

Why is it not the mic for drums or ear splitting amps?? You mean even transients will break it? It says in the specs that it can take 165 dbs. Thats like 30 dbs higher than some of the highest db rated condensor mic.

Less proximity effect? I dont think figure of eight pattern has a proximity effect. Its not a dual ribbon is it? Theres nothing there to polarize the rear diaphragm, because there is no rear diaphragm.

Maybe the materials involved are pretty straight forward, but if the ribbon isnt corrugated evenly.

Check out this post from Marik at https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=128896&page=1&pp=25&highlight=Nady

All i know is Marik is one smart guy when it comes to microphone design.

Anyway, i would love to have these things explained and i am still very interested in trying one out. If it sounds good then ill consider buying one.

Mind lending me or someone else like Harvey one of yours for a week or so to give it a try? I will put it up against my Royer 122 and see what i like better. Even though they are totally different disigns i want to see if i maybe like a classic style sound better. Those AEA's look cool. :D

Danny

It says in the Nady specs that the mic has a signal/noise ratio of 70 dbs. Thats about the same or higher than a small diaphragm condenser. So do they have a self noise or not? I would expect the circuitry and transformers to give noise.

Danny

A couple of guys on tape op really like the nady ribbons. Just do a search. I wouldn't mind trying one.

i know. thats what i was referring to. Are you positive they dont? Why dont they? Probably in the big mic thread im guessing, but im not gonna go search through there to find it :D.

Danny

More on the RSM-2

darnold said:
Why is it not the mic for drums or ear splitting amps?? You mean even transients will break it? It says in the specs that it can take 165 dbs. Thats like 30 dbs higher than some of the highest db rated condensor mic.

Less proximity effect? I dont think figure of eight pattern has a proximity effect. Its not a dual ribbon is it? Theres nothing there to polarize the rear diaphragm, because there is no rear diaphragm.

Maybe the materials involved are pretty straight forward, but if the ribbon isnt corrugated evenly.

Check out this post from Marik at https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=128896&page=1&pp=25&highlight=Nady

All i know is Marik is one smart guy when it comes to microphone design.

Anyway, i would love to have these things explained and i am still very interested in trying one out. If it sounds good then ill consider buying one.

Danny

I'm not a tech, and I generally don't open up mics to check out the innerds
unless there is something wrong. But I do know that even a 44 has a HUGE
bottom end when you get up close to it: that's one of the reasons it was used in radio so often as an announcer mic. Marik may be right about the
"sloppy" build on the interior, although I have seen some RCA's that look pretty sloppy too! As to the ribbon issues: can't speak to the corregation but I know he's wrong about one thing. You can have them serviced, but due to the inherently delicate nature of ribbons they do not warrantee that
part of the mic except for manufacturing defect. Almost every manual, article and engineer I have spoken with cautions against applications which stress the ribbon. Traditional ribbon mics (Royers are different) are very vulnerable to wind, moisture, and shock (like dropping the mic). That's why the NADYs come in that neat padded container. They also should be stored vertically. Conventional wisdom says that you should never use a ribbon mic in a kick drum; but I have read that they can be great if you turn them
to the side so that they are not frontally exposed to the sudden pressure. An interesting idea, but since there are so many mics that are suited to kick drums, I personnaly wouldn't risk it.

What can I say guys? I haven't had time to really check it out yet. I'll keep you posted though.

T-Bone?

BTW as I was following this endless thread I came across a reference to
the T-bone ribbon mic. Following a google search I ended up at Musichaus microphones where they list a whole bunch of T-bone mics with photos. Don't know anything about them, but some of them appear to be re-badges of a number of all too familiar looking chinese mics. Included is what looks like the exact copy of the NADY RSM-2. Anyone know anything about them?

And BTW, I am not a blanket supporter of NADY products. Have found some of their condensers to be pretty cheezy! In general I don't buy low end mics any more. I have a few, but lately it's been Neumann, Schoeps, Lomo, Earthworks and T.H.E. so the ribbon adventure was a whim that appears to
have worked out.

Figure 8 mics do infact exhibit proximity effect. Omni is the only pattern that doesn't. Omni is the only pattern in which only one side of the diaphragm is exposed to sound. Figure 8 is the only pattern in which both sides of the diaphragm are completely exposed to sound. Cardioid and Hypercardioid patterns are a combination of the two, that is they have various amounts of each side of the diaphragm exposed to sound.

Ribbons inherently exhibit figure 8 patterns simply because the ribbon picks up sounds fairly equal from both the front and the rear, but 180 degrees out of phase. That’s why they are almost completely dead to sound sources on either side – the same sound hits both sides and they cancel each other out.

Ribbon mics also inherently exhibit a horrendous proximately effect. Most studios achieve a natural sound by using them at distances of 3 or more feet away from the source.

Jaguarmusicboy said:
OK Folks. I did in fact actually bite the bullet and buy one of these mics. I did it because I reasoned that the Chinese - as a now serious force in tube
audio - have to be better at making transformers then they are at making
quality condenser diaphrams. The materials involved in a classic ribbon mic
are all pretty straightforward. And, I liked the basic design and look. (And right now buying a match for my Wess Dooley re-furbished RCA 44 BX was
financially out of the question).

The mic itself is very solidly constructed. It is smaller and lighter than a 44
(THANK GOD!) and uses a standard mic stand thread.

I haven't had a chance to really put it through the paces, but I put it up against my 44, and A/B'd some speach and scratch vocals. I was astounded to discover I liked it better than the 44. It gives a smooth round classic ribbon sound without quite as much boomy proximity effect. A no-brainer for horns, but will probably be great for orchestral and large ensemble Jazz
recording. It has a higher output than my 44 (again a +) and so far I can't find a thing I don't like about it. Like all ribbons, it's fragile, should never be used for close vocals without a good pop filter, and will be compromised by strong transients (i.e. this is not the mic for drums or ear splitting amps). I got mine at about $259.00 new with case and warrantee. Published specs are great... and NO this is not a paid endorsement. I ordered another one yesterday so I had a pair. Like any ribbon, they require a very quiet pre-amp with PLENTY OF HEADROOM. At that price what do you have to lose?
Good post Jaguarmusicboy... thanks.

Ah i see that makes sense now about the proximity effect. Ive actually noticed it myself on the R122 but i didnt realize it was proximity effect.

And now i see what you mean by not use them on drums. But i thought you meant as overheads and stuff. Windblows to dislodge ribbons but not SPL which i first thought you were talking about.

So should i not be storing the R122 horizontally? I know they have different build that the classics but i would still think the laws of physics would be closely the same. I do know dropping a R122 is probably just as risky as dropping any other ribbon.

Anyway, it was a good post Jaguar but at first i was confused by some of the claims, but they were my misunderstanding. I am interested in trying one of these because i want to try one with my trombone.

Danny

Follow up RSM-2

I am interested in trying one of these because i want to try one with my trombone.

Danny[/QUOTE]

I've a feeling you're reeeeeeeely gonna like it!

:-)

Good luck!

Back