Ok, I had this bright idea, I need your opinions

dacalion

I posted this idea in the Feedback Forum but to no avail really, some cat coped an attitude but I think he got the big picture later on, anyway, it was suggested that I post it here for better feedback.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2841814#post2841814

What do you all think about a disignated person posting a sample for us to flip once a week like every Monday? Only rules are you have to do a flip before you can make comments on others.

I think it would be cool checking out each others flip of the same song. It will help our turnover time and help hone our production skills. I see that we are already kinda doing this but just not organized.

So what do you all think? You down with really putting your skills to the test? It's NOT a competition it's just for fun and for getting feedback from others. Let me know what you all think...

dac

not very many people post here so you probably won't get very many people participating but i think its a good idea regardless

not very many people post here so you probably won't get very many people participating but i think its a good idea regardless

Maybe they'll come out and play, I don't know. Hopefully we can pull together on the idea and make it happen. I've heard some very nice beats come from here, it would be nice to get a unified effort this once.

Anyway pro404, thanks for the feedback!

dac

i'm down with that... tell ya what... just to get things started how bout "Willie Hutch" BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT we can make the deadline this wed. what do ya'll think?

I Think Its A Good Idea - Although Im Not That Strong In Production, It Would Be Worth It To Attempt It - I Can Always Learn Some New Tish To Improve My Steeze . . . I Would Have To Upload The Sample Into My Triton To Make The Beat Or What Not Though - But Im Down! - Just Hope I Dotn Miss The Deadlines . . .

Thanks fam for the great responses! This will be alot of fun!

i'm down with that... tell ya what... just to get things started how bout "Willie Hutch" BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT we can make the deadline this wed. what do ya'll think?

I'm down to do the song but I doubt that I could have it by this wednesday...lol. We still gotta set everything up like somebody has got to provide a downloadable link to the song that we are gonna use. I think it can be done but theres got to be a better way than emailing it. We gotta figure that out.

dac

the deadline should be like two weeks from the time the sample is posted. the acapella that spinster sent everyone was a week ago and i still have yet to hear anything from that, though i know spinster did a bunch.

Having a two-three day deadline is pushing it, in factm there shouldnt really be a deadline. a lot of us work full time, and are working on other projects as well. having a deadline is sort of unrealistic IMO

Call Me Cell, thats great! I think we need to run this by SPIN before we get our hopes up. He may have some valuable info on doing this...In the meantime, that will be your job, posting a link to a beat if its cool with everybody else.

I suggest that we try to wait until everyone is finished up with SPINS flip then attack this. Im having a time with creating a dope 101bpm beat...lol. I usually make beats around 90-95bpms. 101 just sounds so fast to me and it's not but thats my challenge in my production.

The idea here is to put the flip together in as short a time as possible, I assure you all that once you start doing this, you'll end up wanting more than 1 flip per week. Eventhough we are attempting to make the dopest flip possible, we are also trying to do it as fast as possible making it a challenge for everyone. 1 week (7 days) should be the time limit since the new sample drops every Monday. Remember it's not a competition, it's just for fun and a tool to help our production skills and speed. Ofcourse, you can keep working on the beat and even add it to your portfolio or whatever but in the real world, you may not have a couple of weeks to drop some fire so this will help. Let me know what y'all think, nothing is in gold and I'm just suggesting.

one,
dac

i don't think there should be a deadline unless it IS a "competition". i know for sure i don't have time to check the board every day or even every few days, so for example, what if i didn't see the thread until the deadline was that day or already passed... and the song was just something i absolutely HAD to play with, ya dig? but i mean, i guess even if there was a deadline people could still do their thing on the track and post it if they wanted, or just use it as a practice tool/guideline.

i don't even know what i'm rambling about anymore, 'too much' herbal, damn new years!

Feel free to leave some feedback...I got the feelin that y'all are about to drop some bombs =), which is gonna make me go back to the lab.

dac

The track you did is much better than what I can do, its preety good man.

Im still cutting up samples with it hahaha:rolleyes: Im trying to do some shit but I doubt Ill get it done in a week. But who knows, I have tommorow off for once, so Ill be putting in some work.

My problem with this is I am trying to do some shit MUCH more differently than I have before, so its a lot of fuckin around

I know im supposed to flip in
order to leave feedback but, i just wanna
say thats one hot flip Dacalion, not real fond of that
kick selection though

The track you did is much better than what I can do, its preety good man.

Im still cutting up samples with it hahaha:rolleyes: Im trying to do some shit but I doubt Ill get it done in a week. But who knows, I have tommorow off for once, so Ill be putting in some work.

My problem with this is I am trying to do some shit MUCH more differently than I have before, so its a lot of fuckin around

thanks liv_rong, but just have fun with it, thats all I did...i've done alot of quick flips before and all I basically do is freak the drums (best I can), pick out the the most noticable parts of the sample, layer something on top of that and put a hip hoppish feel to it when it all goes together. I've heard some of your work, you can do it brah!

I know im supposed to flip in
order to leave feedback but, i just wanna
say thats one hot flip Dacalion, not real fond of that
kick selection though

Noddy, I feel you, I got ish for drum kits man, I could have done a better kick but I really didn't put any time in to this. Next one will have a much better drum kick in it...lol. Thanks for the feedback...

dac

I'm feeling the track too dacalion... but once again I'm waaaayyyyy in left field on this one!! I think ya'll will like what I did with this flip... and trust me it's a FLIP !!! I'll have time to finish it up tomorrow evening so I'll probably post it then... be ready:cool:

Thats whats up! I was working on another flip of the same song but it didn't have any aspects of the original, I didn't really like it so I put it in the "to be continued" file. Sounds like you're doing a true flip, mine is more like a remix. I know it's gonna be dope, can't wait to hear it.

dac

Back