Oh god.. I think I have latency

Cyrokk

Farce of Nature
I record into an ADAT-XT through a lightpipe into my RME Digi9636.

I use Samplitude 6.0 software.

Sometimes after recording, the take sync's up with the rest of the material, sometimes it doesn't. Whether it records before, after, or on time with the rest of the material is completely at random.

Lemme guess, latency right?

Dammit..

I've reduced the buffers, selected/deselected the "Hardware Monitoring (zero latency)" option, and messed with the "Playback while Recording" settings, and still I can't record five takes in a row without having to resync the wave.

Any suggestions?

My pc is:

AMD Athlon XP2000 with 512 MB 400 mhz DDR memory, ASUS A7V8X mobo and dual 60GB harddrives.

My card is an RME Hammerfall Digi9636 with two 8-out expansion boards for output to an analog mixer.

I'm not recording on the ADAT, but recording through it in order to use its A/D conversion through the lightpipe.

Joro mentioned it could be a clock issue between the ADAT and pc, which I hadn't considered and will play around with today...

I've had this problem since I got this system, which was a couple years ago. It's only a real problem now because I'm doing a ton of cut-and-paste work on a bass track (aka "pulling a beeze" :D )

its very unusual to get latency in samplitude.
i have its younger brother magix music studio.
and any garbage pc i throw it at , it still lines up tracks.
so its not samp. also you have a very good system.
does this problem evince itself on the first few tracks in a song.???

OR ONLY with a lot of tracks ?
also what do you have in your pci slots ?
do you have any "flags" in devicve manager ??

Yeah, you most likely need to set the RME to sync (receive clock signal) from the ADAT lightpipe.
Also make sure the sample rates are all the same. Although by syncing to the ADAT, the RME should automatically change to the same sample rate that the ADAT is at.

That's my bet anyway. It definitely sounds like a clock issue.

Woohoo!

I think it's fixed!.. your mention that Samplitude rarely has latency issues got me to thinking that maybe it was the RME card. I took a look at the settings and noticed that it too has latency settings (duh).. It was set at a size of 8192 (186 ms), the "preferred" setting. I changed it to its lowest size 64 (1.5 ms) and did six bass tracks in a row and all sync'd perfectly.

Thanks for your help guys!!

glad to help cyrokk.
have a happy time recording, and keep us posted.
note...if you ever get clicks or pops. if you have a network card in your amd..disable prior to a recording session. peace.
if you need midi functionality sometime. just search under my name for what i use. also ..check your drives occasionally to ensure they are dma enabled. sometimes win defaults back to slower modes. peace.

Thanks for the additional info manning1..

In order to make room for the RME and the two output boards, I had to clear the other non-essential slots, which is cool since that pc is designated strictly for audio only.. Plus, as soon as I got the pc I went to one of those "optimize your pc for audio" websites linked from here and changed a bunch of settings (printing off the instructions for back up, of course) and I seem to remember an option regarding whether dma should reset upon refresh.. or something like that.. been awhile, so I could be wrong...

In any event.. this will be the first place I hit if my pc starts messing up again.. and I'll especially look for you if and when I start working with midi..

Thanks again!

Back