The ultimate gapping brainteaser

Dr Shock

I have read all posts on gapping....tweaked XP forever....have used Ulysses and double dawg to reduce PCI bus latency and still get intermittent gaps while recording...never on playback . They are always of about the same length .087 milliseconds. They occur randomly sometimes every 3-5 minutes, sometimes they won't occur for a few hours. This is while recording only 2-4 tracks with no effects.

Here is my setup:

Mackie 8 bus ...Elco into 16 bit blackface ADAT for the converters
Digital lightpipe out of ADAT ( set to internal clock ) into Hammerfall DSP 96/52
Out of Hammerfall 96/52 soundcard into 2nd blackface ADAT ( set as slave) back to the Mackie 8 bus for monitoring

recording software....Adobe Audition 1.5

processor AMD Atlhlon 3200+ 2.2 gig
motherboard ASUS A7N8V-LA
chipset nForce2-IGP
ram 512 megs
2 internal hard drives 160 gig Seagate ( one for recording, one for programs)
no internet connection....ever
no anti- virus or any other apps running

When I use Ulysses' to monitor my system, I am not even close to pushing it

I have tweaked the latency and buffer settings on both the soundcard and Audition, have recorded at 16 bit and 24 bit . I have a very nice project studio ( seperate building ) with multiple circuits. I have all of my control room gear running off one circuit to minimize any ground loops. I have recorded with the heater/air conditioner off, the fridge unplugged but still get the small gaps intermittently. I have switched the ADATS in their roles to try and rule out a bad digital out signal from one of them. When I record into the ADAT's
using tape, I do not get this problem.

I know that this topic has been talked to death, but I have read every post on the topic and still can't solve my situation. I have contacted support at RME, and Audition have followed their suggestions, but still get this problem.
What am I missing.....is there something that may not be related to the PC and or my other gear that could cause this.. This is frustrating and at this point totally baffling. Many have posted saying that they have much less processing and ram and with the same program, have never had a gap. Any insight as to what else I can check out would be much appreciated

thanks

Dr Shock

I had a similar problem when I upgraded Vegas Pro 1b to Vegas 5. I tried using the ASIO drivers and got lots of gaps. Switched to WDM, and no problem ever since.

hmm dr shock this is very interesting. dont know if i can help.
what do you have in your pci slots ? ie: do you have anything else in the puter that might be "interrupting" the recording process for such short duration ?
out of interest try the demo of samplitude sometime and tell me if you still
get gaps like this. i'm wondering too if a driver issue.
the only other thing i can think of is something randomly occurring in the lightpipe. might be something electrical.

Back