Odd problems

Paul Stamler

After a hard-disk crash and recovery, the installations I have of Cool Edit 2000 and Audition 1.0 aren't working properly. Cool Edit 2000, when I start it, flashes an error message, "Your computer is not set up properly to run Cool Edit. Go to SETUP." No suggestions what to change in SETUP. And Audition, though it shows signal on the meters when I press F10, won't record at all. It handles editing of already-existing tracks fine, but it won't record new ones. I'm using an ancient-of-days Win XP machine (why? it's a long story). Can anyone offer suggestions about how I need to configure SETUP to run CE2k, or how to get Audition to record?. I've already restored the default settings in SETUP.

Assuming Audition 1 is similar to the 1.5 that I have: Look for a menu item called "options" and select device order. Enable the devices listed for both record & playback. You also need to select which of these to use in edit view. Click ok. I don't recall if you need to reboot the program or not.

I assume you have re-installed XP? If so have you also installed SP2 and all other updates?

Dave.

I haven't, because the computer, which I bought used, didn't include the install disks. I have, however, updated up to SP3.
Rick, I'll try that -- you may have just saved me a lot of time, money, or both, and it may well save the Wax Museum radio feature too.. Thanks!

Well, the fix Rick suggested didn't work; I wonder if there's something else elementary that I'm forgetting to do to get Audition to record..

I'm intrigued by this topic. I've become used to the love of analogue old hardware by some folk on the forum and gradually I think I have sort of understood what they're seeking, but I hadn't realised the same was with software? That must be so hard to do - old OS, old software and old hardware it can talk to? With so many continual (and useful) bug fixes I'd be totally unable to go back even a few versions with my old software? Even now, it's often difficult to open a current application file that's been saved in the latest version on an older one. This must be crazily difficult trying to get really ancient software going - as you probably end up with a mish-mash of versions of dlls and program components.

The changes to codecs is also a constant race - so having the right filenames gives no indication if they actually match when you run them. The 16 bit audio format of the day has been tweaked almost non-stop - so maybe your problem is not with cool edit, but the things built around it? Could it be the codec pack is in front or behind the main software. Cool edit from memory was quite stable, but I always had issues with the codecs not liking the audio cards I was using at the time. It liked and disliked certain cards and maybe the initialisation fails because the card you are using or onboard chip driver is not the right version. I fear the resources you need might just no longer be available?

I have Audition 1.5* and that used to run fine on an old XP desktop. On W7 it was OK for a time then I found it would not play a file unless I "inserted it into multitrack". The same problem continues with W10. However, once I found Samplitude (SE8, now ProX 3) I rarely used AA1.5 and now almost never.

*my one piece of 'cracked' software. A best mate, sadly now dead, built me a desktop for my 60th and 'found' the software for me...Gift horses and all that?

Dave.

I have Audition 1.5* and that used to run fine on an old XP desktop. On W7 it was OK for a time then I found it would not play a file unless I "inserted it into multitrack". The same problem continues with W10. However, once I found Samplitude (SE8, now ProX 3) I rarely used AA1.5 and now almost never.

*my one piece of 'cracked' software. A best mate, sadly now dead, built me a desktop for my 60th and 'found' the software for me...Gift horses and all that?

Dave.
Odd. I have CoolEdit Pro and Audition 1.5 on a Windows 10 laptop and both run without a hitch.

After a hard-disk crash and recovery, the installations I have of Cool Edit 2000 and Audition 1.0 aren't working properly. Cool Edit 2000, when I start it, flashes an error message, "Your computer is not set up properly to run Cool Edit. Go to SETUP." No suggestions what to change in SETUP. And Audition, though it shows signal on the meters when I press F10, won't record at all. It handles editing of already-existing tracks fine, but it won't record new ones. I'm using an ancient-of-days Win XP machine (why? it's a long story). Can anyone offer suggestions about how I need to configure SETUP to run CE2k, or how to get Audition to record?. I've already restored the default settings in SETUP.

Yeah upgrade to Windows 10.

Odd. I have CoolEdit Pro and Audition 1.5 on a Windows 10 laptop and both run without a hitch.
Yeah, could be a function of the 'crack'? Mind you, it ran faultlessly on XP for some years.
Paul do you have another computer? I mean, how are you talking to us atmo? I would not think you coud run an XP machine on the net now although I have a W7 laptop that I use 20% of the time and this W10 Lenovo the rest. Never had a problem with 7 despite the dire warnings when ten came out! If you do have a more modern machine try AA on that?

I doubt an old XP computer will run W10 and I doubt you could get it for free although someone here might know a way?

Dave.

Back