Nuendo 2.2...Something odd.

fretwire3d

I have Nuendo 2.2 and a delta 66 with the omni studio.

When I check the VST connections, Nuendo says it will accept 8 inputs from the delta 66

analog input 1
analog input 2
analog input 3
analog input 4
SPDIF in L
SPDIF in R
Mixer in L
Mixer in R

Can I actually record with the SPDIF in and Mixer in? And what actually is SPDIF and mixer in?

spd/dif is for recording from devices with spd/dif output features in.
for example lets say you had a hardware unit that modelled different guitar amps. and it had spd/dif output jacks. you could connect the out to delta spd/dif input and record that way. spd/dif basically enables DIGITAL TRANSFER rather than analogue transfer of signals.
be aware .(not the sound card)...but some devices sometimes users are encountering problems with some spd/dif ive heard from friends. peace.

Mixer In is a sub mix of everything plugged into the 66.
ASIO treats inputs as stereo pairs, so likely 1 and 2 will be one stereo pair and 3/4 will be another.
And as you have heard S/PDIF (Sony/ Phillips Digital Interface) is a standard for digital transfer. In your case, it's transfer of two channels (i.e. stereo).
If you have any gear that offers S/PDIF output, you can use the S/PDIF In of the 66 for those two channels.
Thats where the 66 gets it's name .... It's I/O.
4 analog In + 2 S/PDIF In = 6
4 analog Out + 2 S/PDIF Out = 6

The reason you see 8 available channels is because of the sub mix created by the Mixer In. It's not actually two separate channels that you can use independently of the other inputs. It's a mix of them all. Just like a soundblaster's "What U Hear".

Farview said:
Not you, the people who "buy" things and can't figure out how to use them or even what they are for.

Sorry, but what is the issue? This is the newbie forum, and the idea is to ask newbie questions without being called out on why you're asking them. Is it not?

Perhaps you are insinuating that no money was actually spent, but we don't know that.

DigitalSmigital said:
Sorry, but what is the issue? This is the newbie forum, and the idea is to ask newbie questions without being called out on why you're asking them. Is it not?

Perhaps you are insinuating that no money was actually spent, but we don't know that.
I am insinuating that he did not buy the software.

DigitalSmigital said:

I've seen a lot of that lately on this forum, though. Someone comes in and starts asking why this is happening and why that is happening; how do I hook this up, how does this work. Then one of you guys with the knowledge ( I contribute, but hell, we know I don't really know shit) will explain it to them simple enough for me to understand ( a feat in itself), and BOOM, it flies over their head like a jet plane bound for who-knows-where. And a lot of it is just lazies. They buy something because they heard about it from somewhere, get it home, and don't want to read the manuals. The "I am thinking about getting into home recording, what (gear/equipment/stuff) will I need is the most annoying question of all. Not only are the answers on Dragon's home page (I read every word and clicked on every link. Ask him, I reported the dead ones), but damned if someone hadn't asked that very question just 10 minutes prior. Too lazy to read, or just wanting personal attention, I don't know. But it can get a little annoying, so it's only right when someone goes off on someone who obviously didn't want to take the time to research what they were doing before they spent $1200.00 or any money at all on the gear they have. You are right, it's the newbie forum, which promises they won't get flamed for asking a dumb question. But where do you draw the line?

manning1 said:
be aware .(not the sound card)...but some devices sometimes users are encountering problems with some spd/dif ive heard from friends. peace.
HUH?

S/PDIF is a digital transfer protocol (ie specification), nothing more. It's not possible to have problems with S/PDIF itself, unless a company didn't implement the spec's standard (which means it really isn't S/PDIF then).

Sidebar: S/PDIF.... stands for Sony / Phillips Digital Interface

Rokket said:
I've seen a lot of that lately on this forum, though. Someone comes in and starts asking why this is happening and why that is happening; how do I hook this up, how does this work. Then one of you guys with the knowledge ( I contribute, but hell, we know I don't really know shit) will explain it to them simple enough for me to understand ( a feat in itself), and BOOM, it flies over their head like a jet plane bound for who-knows-where. And a lot of it is just lazies. They buy something because they heard about it from somewhere, get it home, and don't want to read the manuals. The "I am thinking about getting into home recording, what (gear/equipment/stuff) will I need is the most annoying question of all. Not only are the answers on Dragon's home page (I read every word and clicked on every link. Ask him, I reported the dead ones), but damned if someone hadn't asked that very question just 10 minutes prior. Too lazy to read, or just wanting personal attention, I don't know. But it can get a little annoying, so it's only right when someone goes off on someone who obviously didn't want to take the time to research what they were doing before they spent $1200.00 or any money at all on the gear they have. You are right, it's the newbie forum, which promises they won't get flamed for asking a dumb question. But where do you draw the line?
I didn't mean to come off as flaming the question, 'what is spdif' is a valid question.
Unfortuanatly, my interpretation of the question was "Software thief needs help using ill-gotten gains"
The fact that he didn't look in the manual for the sound card to get the answer to the question is beside the point.

fretwire3d said:
Can I actually record with the SPDIF in and Mixer in? And what actually is SPDIF and mixer in?

The mixer in is not a separate input but ins 1,2,3,4 (and i think spdif) combined

Farview said:
I didn't mean to come off as flaming the question, 'what is spdif' is a valid question.
Unfortuanatly, my interpretation of the question was "Software thief needs help using ill-gotten gains"
The fact that he didn't look in the manual for the sound card to get the answer to the question is beside the point.

I have to agree...the spdif question is completely cool. But the way the question is phrased reeks of :

" How do I connect my amp to my soundcard thingee, since they have different plugs. BTW, I am using Nuendo, Reason, Sonar 4, Gigasampler and BFD as my softwares..."

Clark_Griswold said:
I have to agree...the spdif question is completely cool. But the way the question is phrased reeks of :

" How do I connect my amp to my soundcard thingee, since they have different plugs. BTW, I am using Nuendo, Reason, Sonar 4, Gigasampler and BFD as my softwares..."
That's what got me going to. And this whole thread is the reason why I suggested Dragon put up an FAQ on here. Maybe if they HAD to go in there and browse before they were allowed to post the first time, we'd get less of this. He said he was working on it, so I will be patient. Those things can be a long drawn out process to put together.

Hypothetical situation...

Dad is a musician, buys gear to record, goes off to war in Iraq and gets killed.

12 year old son picks up his old guitar and remembers his Dad recorded in the studio before he shipped out. The boy decides he wants to give it a try. Now who does he turn to?

This is the newbie forum. Interpret that.

Back