Nowhere - remixed 3-28

mjbphotos

So, here's another stab at it. I already had a compressor on the input for the bass, added some distortion/drive (PodFarm)
Changes:
Multiband Compressor on the bass track, a band below 123. The previous EQ scoops on the bass EQ were lessened, adding a little more low end.
Kick - up a little
Hi hats - down a little
Lead vocal, down a couple dB, reverb send increased.

Either I'm there, or just f*cked it up.
Nowhere 3-28-18 by MikeBirch | Mike Birch | Free Listening on SoundCloud

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest remix:
Nowhere 3-26-18 by MikeBirch | Mike Birch | Free Listening on SoundCloud

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the 3rd and the last of the 'rock' tunes on my next album, with the advice I've got here on the other 2 songs, I think I've got this one close, but of course would love some more ears to nitpick it.

Nowhere 3-11-18 by MikeBirch | Mike Birch | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
To me, the snare sounds too boxy. I can barely hear the kick. The vocals are a bit loud. I'd give more crunch to those guitars. And make that bass fatter, ie more deep lows and less low mids.

Cool song, Had kind of an REM vibe going at the beginning.
I was hearing the kick and I like the bass tone. I think the bass level could come down a tad. Vocal is good on the level IMO. I You may cut the mids just a hair on the vocals for them to set a little better in the mix. That really depends on what type of vocal sound youre after....it's just personal preference because they sound good as is
nice work mjb!

I'm not hearing any kick either.
The toms might be a touch loud relative to the rest of the kit.

Bass and guitar sound level relative to each other

I like the raucous rock and roll feel. I have to add to the mixed messages that the bass guitar could be more prominent-at times i hear it fine, when extra guitars come in-the mix sounds like guitars voice and drums. Maybe some distortion or eq on the bass to give it some attack...My other mix observation is that the vocal could come down and somehow match the raucous feel of the music. The vocal seems dry and more "hi-fi" sounding than the backing track which sounds like a live loud rock band-I would try and put the vocal in the same room with the band. Just my opinions of course i tend to like bass heavy and lower vocals in general. Good song,well performed and recorded! Listening on my computer room 5.1 setup which i'm very used to.

Dang, what do I fix now? ;-)
Thanks for the mixed comments, which I guess mostly goes down to individual tastes, except 2 votes for more kick. Definitely want to do something to the lead vocal to make it sit better. It's got a plate on it, while the rest of the tracks have my usual opera house room.

Listening in a treated room with JBL LSR2300 series 8" monitors and sub and RME Fireface soundcard.

Sorry, I had to ask, as these are canned drums, and the only EQ is a bump up around 2K-3K and a little high shelf, both on the full drum bus. Never had that comment before on any snare I use.

Vocals are the weak link. The 'band' sounds like they are in a room all playing together. The lead voc sounds pasted on top and very dry and in your face. I'd bring it back in level some, and pull it 'into' the mix with some verb.
Maybe do or re-do some 2 buss compression to glue it all together.

I like the kind of old high school sound to this, in the delivery. Kind of wild in a way.

I think the drumming is pretty damn good.

It reminds me of my old band back back in 75.

The last post. I listened on full consumer stereo system, JBLs, light sub room is decently treated. Just so you know.

I thought the vocals were too out front and seemed to be missing low end. But if you didn't want modern low end it does have more of the 60-70's style lows. So, this might be the aim.

Still the vocals feel too out front. You have them cutting through very well. That might be the reason they seem so out front.

The last post. I listened on full consumer stereo system, JBLs, light sub room is decently treated. Just so you know.

I thought the vocals were too out front and seemed to be missing low end. But if you didn't want modern low end it does have more of the 60-70's style lows. So, this might be the aim.

Still the vocals feel too out front. You have them cutting through very well. That might be the reason they seem so out front.

Thanks for the listen. On the remix, I did knock down lead vocal 5K-6K EQ a bit, and brought the volume down, too, but maybe not enough yet.

Vocals are the weak link. The 'band' sounds like they are in a room all playing together. The lead voc sounds pasted on top and very dry and in your face.

This is what I thought, from the moment the vocals came in. No probs with music really, other than a few toms that are very loud. Kick could come up a touch, it gets lost during the busy parts, in my opinion.

I like the song.

I think you could get some low end out of the bass and perhaps turn it down a db.

The vocal is much dryer than the rest of the tracks.

There is kind of a mash of sound in the 3k - 6k range. The rhythm guitars part is kind of busy - although the part sounds cool. But there is just a lot going on there.

The highhat is kind of loud.

I'd solo the bass track and look for note poking out. It needs automation, more compression, or lower volume. I hear what others hear regarding the vocal, but it's a busy mix and you're going to have a hard time getting it on top of all that and sitting. I'd EQ a hair to get it above the rest, then put reverb on it to set it back a little. I'm not sure if that will work but it's what my instincts say it needs.

I like the song.

I think you could get some low end out of the bass and perhaps turn it down a db.

The vocal is much dryer than the rest of the tracks.

There is kind of a mash of sound in the 3k - 6k range. The rhythm guitars part is kind of busy - although the part sounds cool. But there is just a lot going on there.

The highhat is kind of loud.

There are 2 rhythm guitar parts going throughout the song, and in the bridge and lead part, there's a third added, as I thought it needed a little more meat there, combination is probalby where the build-up is.

I'd solo the bass track and look for note poking out. It needs automation, more compression, or lower volume. I hear what others hear regarding the vocal, but it's a busy mix and you're going to have a hard time getting it on top of all that and sitting. I'd EQ a hair to get it above the rest, then put reverb on it to set it back a little. I'm not sure if that will work but it's what my instincts say it needs.

Funny you say that, I had a real build up on the E (octave above the low E) in a few places that I ended up EQing to get rid of. I bumped up the bass volume on the last mix based on a couple of comments above, can't please everyone! I added more 'room' reverb on the lead vocal on last mix, too.

Before I go nuts on trying to automate the bass, wondering if a multiband compressor might help it... I noticed that E tone build-up on another song as well. Of course, it could just be the crappy speakers in my new car. :facepalm:

Can you just EQ the fundamental? If you know it's an E note I'd do that before multiband.
It sounded like it was struck harder at times, so those would be automation or compression.

Back