Nowhere - remixed 3-28

Can you just EQ the fundamental? If you know it's an E note I'd do that before multiband.
It sounded like it was struck harder at times, so those would be automation or compression.

I did that already, I think its an issue with the bass pickup, the note is just louder (played on the A string), and its not just the fundamental, its a low 'under'tone and the harmonics, too.

So, here's another stab at it. I already had a compressor on the input for the bass, added some distortion/drive (PodFarm)
Changes:
Multiband Compressor on the bass track, a band below 123. The previous EQ scoops on the bass EQ were lessened, adding a little more low end.
Kick - up a little
Hi hats - down a little
Lead vocal, down a couple dB, reverb send increased.

Either I'm there, or just f*cked it up.
Nowhere 3-28-18 by MikeBirch | Mike Birch | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Appreciate the multiple ears on it.

I think the vocals are much better. On my system I can hear the music much better. It seems to me now the guitars can be brought up closer to the vocals and the drums left as is. I am not hearing any energy down on the bottom, but it doesn't seem to hurt this mix or I should say the vibe of the song.

I am not as detailed as some of these other guys, but it feels like you are getting closer to getting it dialed in.

DM60- thanks for listening. Spectrum analyzer shows plenty (but not overly so) on the low end (for my taste, anyway). The guitars are ducked to the lead vocal, but only 1 to 1.5 dB. I've only started using ducking on rock songs, so kind of guessing on settings.

I need to give me ears a couple of days rest on these songs (I've got 15 completed now), losing my perspective.

DM60- thanks for listening. Spectrum analyzer shows plenty (but not overly so) on the low end (for my taste, anyway). The guitars are ducked to the lead vocal, but only 1 to 1.5 dB. I've only started using ducking on rock songs, so kind of guessing on settings.

I need to give me ears a couple of days rest on these songs (I've got 15 completed now), losing my perspective.

I was wondering about that. After you get so much input and you may or not be able to hear what they are hearing, then it just gets more frustrating. I will keep watching when you post a new version.

sounds are being squashed.. especially when the chorus comes in and the bridge too. you're not letting the music come out

I've been out for a few days so just skimmed the rest of the thread an jumped to the latest mix.

Kick sounds improved. Toms are still pretty loud but not quite as dominant.

BGvox sound a little close. Maybe slightly more center panning and more verb on those?

sounds are being squashed.. especially when the chorus comes in and the bridge too. you're not letting the music come out

Hi Sparky, I assume you mean over-compressed/limited, but theres barely any compression happening at those places.

I've been out for a few days so just skimmed the rest of the thread an jumped to the latest mix.

Kick sounds improved. Toms are still pretty loud but not quite as dominant.

BGvox sound a little close. Maybe slightly more center panning and more verb on those?

Funny, because previous comments were that the lead vocals weren't as reverbed as the BGV (which haven't been altered at all in any of the mixes since the first. Always hard for me to judge the toms, as they're not hit that much.

Thanks for the listens. Been resting my ears for a few days, back to the mixing console this week.

Back