Novation or Akai?

Soul-Man

I want to buy my ultimate midi keyboard.
Now I have an Oxygen 49 M-Audio and an Akai mini 25.
Oxygen is not good for me,akai is better,but 25 keys are too little.
I want a new keyboard and i must decide between a Novation Nocturn 49 and an Akai 49.
I'm so confused:confused:
Can you help me?;)

I take the akai is the MPK49?

If you dont need the pads, which need modded to perform well anyway, Id go for the novation as I believe its better built...Id also consider the axiom in this price range, I owned one of the older versions and the keys were great on it...

if you can get to a music store and try them out...

I take the akai is the MPK49?

If you dont need the pads, which need modded to perform well anyway, Id go for the novation as I believe its better built...Id also consider the axiom in this price range, I owned one of the older versions and the keys were great on it...

if you can get to a music store and try them out...

Axiom is M-audio? Now I look on Google.
I'll probably buy a novation becouse I use Ableton Live and there is an automapping between them.

i went and bought the new axiom V2

I understand peoples dislike of m-audio products, but I like this....it has the same feel as the older Axiom pro which was a very good controller

obviously try them out but I found the MPK a bit stiff and i already own a modded mpd, I like the new axioms feel and the mapping in DAWs is much better than it used to be

pads are still useless though

I was on an endless search for the ultimate midi controller. I had the Novation sl mk2 and loved it. The keys feel great and the auto-mapping was kinda cool. Unfortunately the joystick/modwheel didn't work. I had a friend who had the same issue and received another one only to have the same issue again. So instead of me going through what he went through I opted for the Studiologic vmk 161 organ which is supposed to have semi-weighted keys but they felt to "heavy" and sat too low for my taste. So, I ended up with the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 and love it. Could do without the pads but whatever. I even thought about buying a Kurzweil pc3 just to use as a midi controller as it transmits midi over usb. I wish studiologic would make an 88 semi-weighted controller. A newer vmk 88.

Thought I'd revive this for the new year! I too was on a controller quest. Best advice someone gave me was to have a well-thought out studio set-up rather than trying to make puzzle pieces of gear 'fit' just as one goes along. Fresh out of years in military and now disabled AND retired, kinda needed to start all over anyway. I KNEW Pro Tools would be my DAW, then simply read ALOT and did my research in association with the hardware synths I have: Alesis Ion (new O.S. fixed midi/cc issues), Alesis Fusion, Micron, QS8 (my only rompler and a VERY great key action ever felt with extensive midi abilities), a Waldorf Micro Q Rack, and a Novation Supernova Rack with new O.S. 20 voice. Already bought the M-Audio Fast Track C-600 Audio Interface with the Pro Tools, so the midi controller needed to be something compatible with automapping with ProTools. I DID buy a Novation SL61 MKII controller with Automap and although it HAS template for ProTools, I felt the having to "wrap" all my plug-ins and alot of other nonsensical things were making things more complicated. Now, Novation USED to make awesome synths and WILL say the build-quality, key-action, and just plain "cool-factor" visually is there, but alas, it now lives in my closet should I sell it later, etc., and am really HAPPY with M-Audio's Axiom PRO 61 with HyperControl technology. It works with other DAW's but it is like the perfect marriage with ProTools, it definitely is the best key-action controller with plethora of features I am sure will be still discovering a year or more from now. I WILL admit I too was never wowed by m-audio's key-action but I think since AVID/Digidesign bought M-Audio, the quality is vastly improved. The C-600 audio interface is proof of that with the Axiom Pro following suit! FYI--buying your Desktop PC for recording/playback should never be an after-thought or just trying to make something work. Read and research compatibilities posted on all maker's websites so you are only purchasing things once and also ensure your system can be added to as needed. What I did like on the Novation controller was the fact there are two midi outs, but now I can just use midi thru any of my rack synths, etc. but if I get any other sythns in future, they will more than likely be something along line of an all in one monster like new Spectrasonics OmniSphere....see, THAT is planning it all out and yes, it IS an investment...cannot place a price on 'sanity' and it beats being in the God-aweful hot big kitty litter box for years more called the Middle East!!! LOL! Hope this helps at least one person! Peace!

I have an older Novation 61 SL I love this controller for the fact it works with every DAW and beat making software. Akai is cool because of the pads and arpeggio but Id rather have a board that work with everything I use. When I do use software I use Protools , Reason , Logic and the automap does the rest plus its a lot easier then setting up the akai mpk with the mpk it took a while to figure it out. But let me not go on Ive had the axiom pro, axiom version 2 , akai mpk 61, and think novation is the best and if decised not to go with novation the axion version 2 work very good and setting it up is very easy.

Back