Not getting the quality I should with AT4040 + DMP3

h2o

Hey guys,

I just got the AT4040 and the DMP3. It's hooked up to a Mobilepre USB which I think could be the problem. My original setup was a Mobilepre with a Beta 58, and the quality hasn't improved since I upgraded. I know the AT4040 + DMP3 shouldn't sound this cold. My vocals are harsh and muddy. Since the Mobilepre is the weakest link in my signal chain, I am thinking of getting the Audiophile 2496 (the Mobilepre is only 16 bit). Before I do, comments/suggestions? I want to be sure that the 2496 will make the difference.

thanks

I don't think it would pass a signal without it but you've got the phantom power on right? A condensor might not always be better but it should definitely be "very different" in comparison to a 58.
Are you sure your setting up your gain staging correctly? That could result in crappy results if one input is set real high and another real low. Its easy to do this with some software.
I have no experience with the Mobile Pre but I do remember reading quite a few threads concerning people having problems with them.

yes the phantom power is on. the gain levels on both the Mobilepre and DMP3 are about equal at about 9:00. couldn't it be the converters in the Mobilepre since it is only 16 bit? it says in the manual that the DMP3 is ideal for 96k recording.

How does she sound coming out of the headphone jack on the MobilePre? Do you have another way to monitor/print the sound coming out of the DMP3?

Sounds like you are running 2 pre's...I am not familiar with the "mobile pre" but I doubt it can handle the output of your DMP3 (which is line level)....Is there a line level in on the mobile pre? 16 bit can sound good (ALOT of cd's were recorded on Adats running at 16 bits)..I think you are overloading the input on the mobil pre. A 4040 into a DMP3 should sound really clean, almost bright!

Ray

yes that's how i connect, through the 1/4 line in. the at4040 is connected through mogami cables to the XLR input of the DMP3. the DMP3 is connected to the Mobilepre through the 1/4 input. you're right, since the Mobilepre has built-in preamps it is affecting my signal. i can't turn the preamps off. so i guess a new PCI is the suggestion?

about the line inputs on the Mobilepre:
the front is balanced and the one on the back is unbalanced

I would ditch the Mobile Pre and get a PCI card. The Audiophile, for $99, is a bargain. And the 16 bit vs 24 bit isn't the issue. 16 bit will sound fine. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference with your setup.

why not just not use the MobilePre and bypass the DMP3 altogether? the MobilePre has preamps with phantom power......why not use just it? preamp-wise, there shouldn't be that much of a difference in quality between it and the DMP3.

i had a mobilepre for a while right after they came out and was thrilled with the transparency of it--very clean sounding......i would've kept it if the drivers hadn't made my laptop BSOD with frightning regularity.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
why not just not use the MobilePre and bypass the DMP3 altogether? the MobilePre has preamps with phantom power......why not use just it? preamp-wise, there shouldn't be that much of a difference in quality between it and the DMP3.

i had a mobilepre for a while right after they came out and was thrilled with the transparency of it--very clean sounding......i would've kept it if the drivers hadn't made my laptop BSOD with frightning regularity.

cheers,
wade

You may be right. I've never heard the mobile pre, but I doubt it sounds as good as the DMP3 (which is based on the same Burr Brown INA163 chip as the Grace 101). For my money I'd go with a tried and proven dedicated preamp and a PCI card instead of a USB Interface/pre combo--unless it was something like the Apogee Mini ME. Then we're talking a different league. :)

the reason why I bought the DMP3 was because the preamps in the Mobilepre weren't strong enough. I was getting too much hiss and distortion in my vocals. the Mobilepre worked acceptionally well with my Beta 58 but not my AT4040. Mojopie has a review of the Mobilepre used with an AT4040 and his experience with it is the exact same thing, poor quality.

true--i bet it doesn't sound "as good", but i can't imagine it sounds "that much worse".....we're talking about ~$60 preamps here (at 2 per unit). :D

my experience with the MobilePre was good (aside from the BSODs). I used it to record some concerts (soundboard patch) on the line ins, and i made some field recordings of cicadas and whatnot using a pair of 603's that came out quite nice considering the signal chain involved.

now, if the mobilepre is not providing enough gain for the 4040, then that's something different altogether. and chances are that it's also not putting out a true 48V of phantom power and the 4040 might require a full amount (compared to the 603's which may be happy with less). i couldn't tell ya. i *can* tell ya that less than a proper amount of phantom power will either make the mic not work, or at least not work optimally.

now, i too have experience with the Audiophile 2496, and at $100 it's a steal. good clean sound, and i bet with the DMP3->2496 combo, you'll be happy with your results. I too prefer a PCI interface to USB any time of any day.

anyway, the cheap fix is to throw a little cash at the problem in the way of the audiophile 2496 and get that mobilepre out of the way. if *that* doesn't fix the problem, then you've got a bad mic, cable, or a really bad sounding room. for an entry level signal chain, there ain't no flies on the DMP3->2496.

cheers,
wade

h2o said:
the reason why I bought the DMP3 was because the preamps in the Mobilepre weren't strong enough. I was getting too much hiss and distortion in my vocals.

Well, as a rule, when a certain pre-amp isn't giving you the sound quality you're looking for, plugging another preamp into it (no matter how good) will not improve the situation, and will usually make things worse. It doesn't matter that you're using line inputs, the fact is you're sending the signal through the same crappy electronics (maybe minus one gain stage, maybe just padded) a s before, only you're adding a bunch more circuitry into the equation. It sounds to me like the Mobilepre is your bottleneck - take it out of the equation and the sound should improve.

JMHO

i know. that's what i thought. the Mobilepre is messing up my signal due to the fact that it's a soundcard with built-in preamps. basically, i'm channeling my AT4040 through two preamps. i just got the 2496 and I'll let you guys know how my audio turns out.

thanks again

Here are my thoughts on your match up.

The DMP3 is very mid ranged focused not as detailed on the high end as say an RNP. The AT4040 is also midrange focused which is why, notoriously, it is used on acoustic guitar, piano and other stringed instruments. The combination is most likely a little excessive or hard, cold, chose your adjective, in the midrange.

Here is another concern, the Audiophile 24/96 is also mid range focused. I just sold mine after a couple of years of use and moved up to Lynx II convertors. I have stated this elsewhere but the MAudio card was a constant concern, after I got ear experience. I was always under mixing the midrange because of the bump which told me I had too much midrange.

So, you have an entire recording chain which is emphasized in the same range. Not going to give you pleasing results I'll bet or at the very least, hard to mix with.

If you have about 80 bucks, get the V67 from MXL it is a warm mic, mellow across the midrange and it might match up better. An alternative is to get the RNP which is not so midrange heavy. Making suggestions in the same price range here. If you have more cash I could make some other suggestions.

The AT4040 does not like insufficient phantom power. I tested mine (plus all my other condensors) with my Rane preamps at +15v phantom. All sound like ass. I used a Rolls Phantom Hex to provide +48v phantom, and all is well.

The Rane uses the same Burr-Brown INA163 as the Grace and DMP3 preamps.

IMO, the usb connected thingie is most likely the culprit. My AT4040 through my Ranes (INA163) sound wonderfully clear and sweet.

Back