Not another +4db thread - but more specific to level behavior.

When I record, whet I've been doing is, I'm just using the gain knob on my mic pre to send a signal into my interface. Then from there I monitor the input level in logic pro so that I'm seeing about -6 or -8dbu on the meters. Unless there will be more then 5 tracks then I might shoot lower for -10. I also monitor my outputs in logic to see the combined signals from all the tracks. That's pretty much it.

I'd get into the habit of recording even lower than that. Aim for an average level of around -20dBFS with peaks up to -12dBFS. That way, if you do happen to go for the odd over excited strum or yell, you will probably still capture it without clipping. Modern convertors, even the cheapest, have at least 100dB of dynamic range. The only time you might need to bring the levels up is at the final mastering stage where you are creating something to sit alongside other commercial material.

When I used to record live stuff I too would stick to a -20dBFS average and allow only the very highest peaks to hit -8,maybe -6dBFS. My son's classical guitar recordings are often even lower but it does not matter, he still gets a decent S/N ratio.

When I had all the kit setup in a spare bedroom, once a month or so I would do a 'silent' recording. All the gains would be set as for a live recording but no mics plugged in. I would then make a 30 second recording. If the result was not around -90dBFS (Samplitude Pro X3) I would put the .Wav through Right Mark Analyser and look for the offending device or cable. Very often a mains wire could be re-dressed and a wild 50Hz blip eliminated.

Dave.

Back