normalize vox?

If you have Waveforms completely out of whack with one another... you're doing something wrong when you're recording them. If you can't see your Waveforms (i.e. they are all too small, Shift + Up Arrow in Reaper will increase them until you can see them properly, other DAWs should have similar Waveform functions). "Normalizing" isn't something you should really be doing, it should be fixed at the source in my eyes.
Well DAW builders would hardly provide the function if it was useless!
I don't 'do' music, that is son's department but very often I get recordings from people chasing very low level noises, hums and such. They can be down at -50dBFS so I just bang them through 'normalize' and then I can hear and 'see' them.

The function just make the signals bigger as almost everyone has said. If peeps just want to tweak a fader, that is fine as well. In fact in Samplitude you don't need to do either. Just click on the track line and push!

Dave.

If you have Waveforms completely out of whack with one another... you're doing something wrong when you're recording them. If you can't see your Waveforms (i.e. they are all too small, Shift + Up Arrow in Reaper will increase them until you can see them properly, other DAWs should have similar Waveform functions). "Normalizing" isn't something you should really be doing, it should be fixed at the source in my eyes.
I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I agree and that's exactly what I do. :)

It's all well and good to say "fix it at the source", but when I've done live recordings, sometimes, the initial level you set turns out not to be the best, for various reasons. I would rather fix one track than have to zoom in and out a bunch. Since normalizing in Reaper is non destructive, there is ZERO consequence to using the function.

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I agree and that's exactly what I do. :)
Not at all.

It's all well and good to say "fix it at the source", but when I've done live recordings, sometimes, the initial level you set turns out not to be the best, for various reasons. I would rather fix one track than have to zoom in and out a bunch. Since normalizing in Reaper is non destructive, there is ZERO consequence to using the function.
That's all well and good too. This thread was about "normalize vox?" to which I say... no... don't normalize vox... record them at the proper level, or turn up the gain if you happen to be stuck with a crap take...

Been there, my friend! 😂

I agree with the overall sentiment here.
In a mixing project I don't think I've ever felt the need to normalise.
If I need a better view I've got zoom, if I need more gain there's a gain line I can move (which also alters the scale of the waveform view) and if I need more volume I have a fader.

I could maybe see using normalise (all at once) in a big editing project where I've been given lots of "similar" files but really don't know much about the continuity and standard.
Batch normalise might be a quick and easy way to get everything on the screen visible with some known reference point
but be aware that's not necessarily going to make all clips the same or even similar.
If you're dealing with soft dialog and there's the closing of a glasses case or something, the clip with that unexpected peak will then have much quieter dialog than the rest.
Still - I could see batch normalise being a quick and easy way to spot that kind of thing, maybe for a first pass where you're tidying up and looking for anomalies.

Idk, it's a stretch as to whether or not I'd actually do that but it seems like a half sensible use case.

st you want some type of basic microphone preamp. a dbx 286 or ahpex 207 is a great starting point. channel quality i suppose..compressor enhancer gate expander deesser...the basic tool set for a vocal track..

286 is what 25 dollars? But it has everything.

Back