Normal Microphone Behavior or Something Strange?

CaptainWinkle

Greetings! For quite some time now I've been using an MXL V67G. Recently I purchased an MXL 5000.

Normally when I plug my V67G into my preamp, with all the volumes down of course, and then I turn on phantom power, the signal light on my preamp doesn't blink. I let the mic warm up a little, then turn the volumes up and begin to use it.

The very first time I plugged my MXL 5000 in, it exhibited this same behavior. Plugged it in, turned on phantom power, and no blinking on the signal light and therefore no sound generated from simply turning on phantom power.

After using the microphone for a little bit the first time, I turned the master volume down on the preamp, but then I accidentally turned the phantom power off before turning down the gain knob, which as you can imagine caused the signal light on the preamp to blink.

Since then, every time I plug the MXL 5000 into my preamp, with all the volumes still down, and then turn on the phantom power, the signal light blinks and when as a test I was running my recording software, it recorded a little pop sound. Can you damage a condenser microphone by turning the phantom power off while the gain is still turned up?

Is it just a coincidence that the MXL 5000 didn't generate a signal blink / pop the first time I plugged it in and it has every time since then? Is this normal behavior? Or has something gone a bit funky with the microphone and I should get a replacement? By comparison my V67G continues to exhibit its normal behavior of no signal blinks or noises when the phantom power is turned on. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know if my experience is the norm but I don't think I've ever enabled phantom power without seeing a short peak, even with the gain all the way down.

If it's a very brief spike and everything works as expected, other than that, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Back