Non-permanent sound treatment suggestions for concrete basement

bluesfordan

The demolition of the old finished basement is done all but the cleaning remains. It's going to be at least a year, likely more, before I can build anything. I'm not expecting to do any tracking or mixing down there for now, I just want to be able to play live in the room.

The area is going to be about 11' by 22' (3.35 x 6.7 m), bare concrete walls and open on one side. The ceiling is open floor joists I just want to knock down the boing/ping echo sounds. I have no pretensions for sound proofing.

I thought about hanging moving blankets on the three walls, area rugs here and there. Would sound clouds be of any benefit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If it were my basement, I would fill the ceiling joists with 50/50 limp bag absorbers and loose fill below that. Then cover with polyester cloth.

I'll be doing it to mine soon.

If it were my basement, I would fill the ceiling joists with 50/50 limp bag absorbers and loose fill below that. Then cover with polyester cloth.

I'll be doing it to mine soon.

if you don't mind, please post pictures when you do. before, during and after if it's not too much trouble. I tried googling limp bag absorbers and mostly got products to absorb moisture and what little I found didn't clarify what exactly they are.

thanks in advance,

Daniel

What does non permanent mean? Something you can move around or take down and re-erect each time or?

if you don't mind, please post pictures when you do. before, during and after if it's not too much trouble. I tried googling limp bag absorbers and mostly got products to absorb moisture and what little I found didn't clarify what exactly they are.

thanks in advance,

Daniel
I'll be documenting my build here when I save up some more. Probably not til March of next year. JH Brandt already designed it! :-)

Limp bag is just pink fluffy stuff completely sealed in 2mil plastic. It absorbs more low end that way, but is then reflective to highs. Loose fluffy stuff in front of that absorbs the upper frequencies.

Back