Non apple mac?!

Dax Productions

Apparently this company http://www.psystar.com is selling a non apple computer running osx. It's looks like a mini tower and has pretty good specs and is selling for $400!!!

Of course, this violates Apple's EULA, but if they somehow aren't shut down, this could be a great option for anyone wanting to put together a recording rig and save some money on the computer!

Well, these days, mac hardware is pretty much pc hardware... isn't it??

It's cheaper than the equivalent mac. So where is the "premium"?

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it "pirated osx" as you still have to buy leopard.

Obviously, there's no way to tell how well it runs, stability etc. But if it holds up, and doesn't get shut down, Hell I'd definitely get one!!

Well, these days, mac hardware is pretty much pc hardware... isn't it??

It's cheaper than the equivalent mac. So where is the "premium"?

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it "pirated osx" as you still have to buy leopard.

Obviously, there's no way to tell how well it runs, stability etc. But if it holds up, and doesn't get shut down, Hell I'd definitely get one!!

Why?? I'm definatly not the only one who thinks that Mac's are terrible. If you still have to buy the OS, then you're buying a PC and installing a non windows operating system on it. Common practise no?

I guess... I've never tried to install osx on a pc, but apparently its pretty tricky. Lots of hardware compatibility issues. These guys do it for you with hardware that will be compatible with osx.

That's the deal here. That, and the price. It's cheaper than the cheapest mac mini, with mac pro type specs.

If you don't like macs, good on ya! Lots of people do, so if these guys are legit, and don't get shut down, I bet they'll be selling tons of these!

My current hardware happens to be 100% compatible with OSX86, and I got it working well.

Didn't take me long to realise I hated it and wipe it.

The moral is that if you can build a PC, you can build a Mac. Just not legally. There's a lot of brainwashed Apple types who think there's something special about their hardware (apart from the pretty case) but for the most part it's the same.

Interesting...!

Did you not like it because you just weren't down with the os, or did you have any performance issues or anything like that?

No, on the hardware it was fine. It was as quick as it should be. I just didn't want to work the way it wanted me to.

Years of Windows conditioning was the cause I imagine, but I'm quite happy with Windows. I just like to experiment occasionally to make sure I'm not missing out, and while I can see the attraction with OSX (especially for creative types) it just wasn't my thing.

'Hated' was probably a strong word :)

Why?? I'm definatly not the only one who thinks that Mac's are terrible. If you still have to buy the OS, then you're buying a PC and installing a non windows operating system on it. Common practise no?

sort of... you have to get a hacked version of os x to install it on most pcs. I'm asuming that this doesn't require the hack?

My current hardware happens to be 100% compatible with OSX86, and I got it working well.

Didn't take me long to realise I hated it and wipe it.

The moral is that if you can build a PC, you can build a Mac. Just not legally. There's a lot of brainwashed Apple types who think there's something special about their hardware (apart from the pretty case) but for the most part it's the same.

keep in mind osx86 is a third party hack. I haven't used it, but I've heard it's not that stable, etc...

Of course you can. A lot of apple users don't even think you can. I'm rebuilding my macbook pro right now with a better screen, and a couple of other things. I have all kinds of self added stuff in my G5 as well. Apple says, you have to use their stuff, just to make more money, but most of the stuff inside is third party anyway.

A linux disto would be better?

you need to be running os x for a logic node...and doesn't final cut pro need os x for render nodes (I'm not 100% sure of that one). Linux would work for a file server, but there are a lot of sexy features I'd miss if not keeping strictly with os x.

Back