noisy counter roller

desmond22

Been into the analog about 4 months now, however a slow process to get up and running. started with getting the deck (TSR8) one of the arm sensors was broken off so got that fixed, then the ATR tape that took a while to get, was shedding like mad, realised not the right tape, thanks to folk on here, so got some RMGI, but realised my counter roller cracked and not helping matters. Sent that off to Terry who did a fine job, that was a month turn around australia to Usa just normal post. Two days before my counter roller came back with the new rubber i broke my meta carpel in my hand skateboarding...ANYWAY. ive set her up and decided to test using mandolin as i can play that ok with a few fingers only. The RMGI sounding awesome and the tape looks and feels like its less hairy. My latest problem is my counter roller has become very noisy. anyone know why? as im an impatient bugger (hey ive been patient since july!) im gonna whack a little oil in it and see what happens, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I may have damaged it a bit as Terry and i got our wires crossed when i was sending the roller over and he asked me to take the bearing apart. i tried to get the bearings out. when i told him it would be hard and that i could only get the radiation sign looking bit off, he said, "yeah just take that bit off" ill try some oil. anyway it rotates, but is noisy!

sounds like you might have effed the bearing while trying to take it out. you might find a new one on ebay.

Heres an email i got from a Fella Called Mike who has sold me a pinch roller and now some bearings that im gonna replace the old ones with

"No, problem. Use a small flat punch, and ball ping hammer. Set between the jaws of a vise, and tap them out. Do not put the roller in the vise, just open the jaws slightly. So the bearing will fall through. Remember, putting them new ones back in is the critical part. We have the bearings here, but you may want to get them locally. Your call, ours are $10.00 for the two. Plus the shipping. "

Heres an email i got from a Fella Called Mike who has sold me a pinch roller and now some bearings that im gonna replace the old ones with

"No, problem. Use a small flat punch, and ball ping hammer. Set between the jaws of a vise, and tap them out. Do not put the roller in the vise, just open the jaws slightly. So the bearing will fall through. Remember, putting them new ones back in is the critical part. We have the bearings here, but you may want to get them locally. Your call, ours are $10.00 for the two. Plus the shipping. "

Sorry, yes - I was actually wondering about the pinch roller, not the counter.
It looks like there is a ring bearing in the centre and two metal rings holding it in place. Do these rings have to be removed or is it just a matter of pushing the whole lot all out with the hammer and punch?

Is there a special technique to putting it all back together once the ring has been replaced, or is it just a matter of hitting it? :P

just be careful not to mess it up. the balls inside have to be able to move freely. Also, out of curiosity, did your counter roller (tachometer) have a disc (tach) attached to the bottom? perhaps this is the cause if it was bent slightly out of alignment?

tachometer

I learned a new word!! Primo.
I had to pull the tachometer off to send to Terrys rubber rollers when i was getting the counter roller re-rubbered. i re glued it back on and its on as it should be, not bent at all. I def stuffed the bearing when i tried getting it out before sending. Im sure it will all be sweet once we get the new bearings in. Im still using 8 track anyway and its working very well. I really dig not using a computer for recording music. Just Feels Right, and sounds better too IMO.

Back