Noisless pickups in jazz bass humming during recording

Update!
I went and got a DI box, which made it a little quiter, but not really. So next step is the bass as you all mentioned. I took it directly over to my guitar/bass tech who I trust damn near as much as my wife! My buddy Ross at who is the tech at drum city guitar land here in town. He was good enough to put everything aside and start surgery on my sick puppy. He checked it top,to bottom, nothing wrong. He said it is perfectly grounded and sounds spot on. He is agreement that it is the sub par wiring on my house, but he suggested a power conditioner in my rack will help clean up some of the hiss. UggggggG, back to guitar center tomorrow. Stand by and so the drama co

Update!
I went and got a DI box, which made it a little quiter, but not really. So next step is the bass as you all mentioned. I took it directly over to my guitar/bass tech who I trust damn near as much as my wife! My buddy Ross at who is the tech at drum city guitar land here in town. He was good enough to put everything aside and start surgery on my sick puppy. He checked it top,to bottom, nothing wrong. He said it is perfectly grounded and sounds spot on. He is agreement that it is the sub par wiring on my house, but he suggested a power conditioner in my rack will help clean up some of the hiss. UggggggG, back to guitar center tomorrow. Stand by and so the drama co

Interesting. Keep us updated.

Have you tried tracking in a "clean" environment away from all those monitors and TVs?

Greg said:
Have you tried tracking in a "clean" environment away from all those monitors and TVs?
Right. Can you go to a friend's house with up-to-date wiring and try there? I'm so curious.

Update! I installed a new fender power conditioner in my rack, the noise is now about half as bad as before. I also tried moving around the room while recording and that helped too. Enough atleast to start re recording the some of the bass tracks that we're really noisy. As soon as it gets a little nicer outside I will run a dedicated circuit(or two) into the studio which I think will solve the issue. A good rule I learned from you all is to break down the chain from beginning to end when troubleshooting. I'm going to try to put up some bass tracks that we're really hissy so you can hear the differance

Reactions: JCH
I had a similar problem with my basses. I solved it by re-routing the input cable to the interface away from the computer and that stopped the noise. It could be something that simple.

Bassically, Michael

Back