Noise from DI box?

XtenanetX

Hello, this is my first post here, so I hope it's in the right category and stuff.

So I have a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 DI box, which is pretty cheap but kinda just worked out for my budget at the time. The issue I'm having is that there is constant noise that is played through it if I try to record. This noise really isn't affected by the input gain on the box nor the volume knobs on guitars or anything I'm recording. After doing some research on this, I came across the topic of ground loops, so I took what I thought should be the solution, which was to buy a line conditioner. I ended up with a Furman PST-2+6 Power Station, which I hope was actually what I wanted. I have my computer plugged into this, so I'd assume that ground loops shouldn't be a problem.

So, what are your opinions on this? I'm assuming you guys probably know a lot more than I do, since I'm really new to this. I didn't know if maybe it's just because it's a cheap box, if the line conditioner doesn't work (or if its not the kind of product I even wanted), or if it's something else entirely. Thanks in advance!

That is not a "Direct Injection" box X, that is a very basic Audio Interface. Cheap tho they are, the Uphoria range seem to be pretty good, I shall be eyeing up my local Cash Generators for one post Crimble!

If all you have is the Behringer and a computer you can't have a ground loop. The classic GL situation is, AI/laptop on a charger/earthed active monitors. No, I am pretty sure you just need to set Windows (7?) up properly.....

Find you way to the Sounds and Audio Devices menu and make sure the Berry is set a "default" device for playback and record. Now look at "levels" It will I am sure be slammed to 100% for recording. Set it back to 5% yes Five! maybe even lower. Note, the recording level in the software meters should be averaging around -20 to -18dB with peaks no higher than -8 or so. This assumes the box will record at 24bits? If only 16bit capable you might have to come up a bit but TRY neg 20 first!

Oh, and while you are at it, stop Windows sounds.

Dave.

Oh yeah, shoulda given some specs I guess. I'm running Windows 10 right now, and I disabled sounds like you said. The box is only capable of 16bit, but I'm not sure if I want to use 2 Channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz or 1 channel , 16 bit, 44100Hz (there are other options too but I'm pretty sure 44100Hz is the standard sample rate used by most things, right?). Also, without effects, I can't get the dB up to -20 without the volume being around at least 30. I have the input gain on the interface turned up as high as possible without clipping, so what do you reccomend?

" I can't get the dB up to -20 without the volume being around at least 30. I have the input gain on the interface turned up as high as possible without clipping"

I am sorry, I cannot make much sense of that statement. "Volume at 30" what? 16bits at 44.1kHz is perfectly fine, CD quality after all and that is all the "quality" most home systems can handle! I doubt the AI quite manages the absolute 90dB dynamic range of CD but anything around 80 or better will be enough for home recording.

What recording software are you using? I have just one computer on W10 so I will hook up a Behringer UCA 202, about on a par I would think. and see what'appen.

Some sound clips and screenshots of what is going on would be invaluable. The Berry box IS very cheap and very basic but knowing the company as I do I doubt it is completely useless ***t.

Dave.

I suspect that this device has the same inherent problem that cheap A/D converters have in USB mixers - they produce a high-pitched 'hum' (not sure how to describe it) when the volume is past a certain point. My Mackie USB mixer does it if you turn the USB volume control up past about 11 o'clock (this is on playback or recording) - luckily my mixer has a USB volume control, most USB mixers just use the main output to control USB.

I suspect that this device has the same inherent problem that cheap A/D converters have in USB mixers - they produce a high-pitched 'hum' (not sure how to describe it) when the volume is past a certain point. My Mackie USB mixer does it if you turn the USB volume control up past about 11 o'clock (this is on playback or recording) - luckily my mixer has a USB volume control, most USB mixers just use the main output to control USB.

Now sir! My A&H ZED 10 produces the same noise! IIRC a spike at 6kHz. The really nice people at A&H told me that this was an artefact produced by Windows (deff 7, not got 8/8.1) and it cannot be gotten rid of but if the levels are set correctly, i.e. cranked way down, it gets comparable with the noise floor.

USB audio devices that can use ASIO drivers are immune.

Dave.

'An artifact produced by Windows' sounds like a lot of horse hockey! yes, like you say, if you keep the levels down, its not noticeable.

" I can't get the dB up to -20 without the volume being around at least 30. I have the input gain on the interface turned up as high as possible without clipping"

I am sorry, I cannot make much sense of that statement. "Volume at 30" what? 16bits at 44.1kHz is perfectly fine, CD quality after all and that is all the "quality" most home systems can handle! I doubt the AI quite manages the absolute 90dB dynamic range of CD but anything around 80 or better will be enough for home recording.

What recording software are you using? I have just one computer on W10 so I will hook up a Behringer UCA 202, about on a par I would think. and see what'appen.

Some sound clips and screenshots of what is going on would be invaluable. The Berry box IS very cheap and very basic but knowing the company as I do I doubt it is completely useless ***t.

Dave.

Okay, so in the microphone properties for the interface, the lowest I can set the volume to get anywhere near the -20dB you said I should have, is around 30. (you said to try 5)
The interface itself has a input gain knob for each of the two inputs, and has two lights, one that light up when there is a signal (any sound from input instument), and the other lights up if the sound is clipping. I have the input gain knob set as high as I can without the clipping light turning on, unless I try very deliberately.

I use FL Studio 12, as a side note.

Okay, so in the microphone properties for the interface, the lowest I can set the volume to get anywhere near the -20dB you said I should have, is around 30. (you said to try 5)
The interface itself has a input gain knob for each of the two inputs, and has two lights, one that light up when there is a signal (any sound from input instument), and the other lights up if the sound is clipping. I have the input gain knob set as high as I can without the clipping light turning on, unless I try very deliberately.

Gotcha. Well you could be a bit stuffed then. When I reduce the record level in W7 to around 5% the noise gets buried (does not reduce in amplitude ref noise floor, stays about 18dB above it at about 6.8kHz) but then I need to advance the gain on the mixer to compensate. The Berry might not have the gain and/or headroom to cope.

"Horse Hockey" Yes Mike and were it any other than A&H telling me that I would agree!

Later today I shall do more tests with a UCA 202 and the ZED on W10.

Dave.

Back