No sound

PumaHD

Hi everyone,

I'm not mixing anything, but I still use my mixer to record with, as it provides phantom power to my microphone. I'm a total newb at mixing, (see link of mixer above) and I need help. For some reason, I can barely hear the voice of the microphone input. I did put every knob to 0, and after recording, I cannot hear a thing. Please look at my mixer and tell me which knob I have to turn so I can hear sound in the output.

Do I have to turn the main mix knob off 0?

[ps: if this helps, i have a cable turning stereo to mono so I can fit it in my GoPro HERO 2

We could use more detail about your mic and the rest of your setup. In the meantime, a few things to check:

- phantom power is actually engaged
- you're using an XLR cable to connect your phantom-powered mic to the XLR input on the mixer channel
- set your channel's EQ flat (to 0) for now, adjust it later if needed
- set your channel's FX at negative infitity for now
- set your channel's pan at center
- set your channel's level at unity (0) for now

With these settings, if you speak loudly into the mic, does the clip indicator light up? How about it you yell? If not, bump up the channel's level a bit and try again. If you get to where the level is up pretty high and you still can't get it to clip, then it's probably the mic or maybe the mixer at fault. Try each of the 2 mic input channels on the mixer.

Next up, are the main bus lights on your mixer lighting up when you speak? Any green, yellow, or red indicators at all?

What outputs are you using on the mixer? Read up on the manual about which knob controls which outputs (phones/control room/main mix).

what type of mike cable are you using? Is it XLR to XLR, which it needs to be to carry phantom power? Can you see any activity on the mixer's meters?

How are you getting the sound from the mixer to your computer to record? What are you plugging into where to listen to the mic?

Okay. My microphone is CAD GXL2200 and I am using XLR to XLR from the mixer to the microphone. I have engaged phantom power. I don't see activity on the mic's meters... From the mixer, a stereo cable turns into a 3.5mm, which I plug in to my gopro. I use this cable which plugs into my GoPro microphone jack.

We could use more detail about your mic and the rest of your setup. In the meantime, a few things to check:

- phantom power is actually engaged
- you're using an XLR cable to connect your phantom-powered mic to the XLR input on the mixer channel
- set your channel's EQ flat (to 0) for now, adjust it later if needed
- set your channel's FX at negative infitity for now
- set your channel's pan at center
- set your channel's level at unity (0) for now

With these settings, if you speak loudly into the mic, does the clip indicator light up? How about it you yell? If not, bump up the channel's level a bit and try again. If you get to where the level is up pretty high and you still can't get it to clip, then it's probably the mic or maybe the mixer at fault. Try each of the 2 mic input channels on the mixer.

Next up, are the main bus lights on your mixer lighting up when you speak? Any green, yellow, or red indicators at all?

What outputs are you using on the mixer? Read up on the manual about which knob controls which outputs (phones/control room/main mix).

I did what you recommended, and on the first channel the clip indicator does not light up, however, on the second channel, if I clap my hands the green light up and if I scream it goes all the way to yellow. That would mean it's a defective mixer right? I turned all the output knobs to max.

Are you close to the settings shown below? These are "starting" settings that should get sound in both left and right.

What are using for a cable from the mixer to the Go-Pro? Just saw your link above

View attachment 88790

Thanks a lot! I was using the wrong output, but that still doesn't clear why I'm barely picking up sound, and how my clip indicators don't light up much

Are you talking about the clip indicator on the mixer or the camera? Does the clip light on the mixer next to the pan knob light up occasionally or the ones above the Main Mix knob?

Mostly you don't want the clip light coming on, but set the levels to just below where it would. Do you have headphones you can plug into the mixer to see if the sound is getting through the mixer at a decent level?

Don't have a clue on the camera, but are there settings for the camera mic input to set levels for different types of inputs?

Ok so the clip indicator shouldn't light up. (I'm talking on the mixer) I'll check the sound with headphones.

Back