Nirvana

Kelly, your generation has ALOT more than Kurt Cobain....just lookaround for awhile outside of what is "cool"......

Re: god dammit, who cares

This is the Fuckin coolest post Ive seen in months.

xoxo

lyle christine said:
i really hate the way that these forums turn into pathetic bitchyness. people dont want to hear some idiot chipping in their ten cents worth of 'the state of music today....yawn yawn' and who's band is better......snore. I just asked a question and wanted some straight answers.
DONT post something saying 'this doesn't answer your question but.........', thats so dumb! How will that help me?? All i wanted was a couple of answers.....jeez...

For what its worth ...

Nevermind wasnt mixed by Butch or Nirvana, it was mixed by andy wallace. Also, From what Ive heard the tracks before going to wallace sounded much more in the vein of stuff like on incestiside, or in utero. So, andy wallace I think is somewhat responsible for the slick sheen of nevermind compared to nirvana's other albums.

Nirvana's not my favorite band, but they shit all over creed, anyone who likes creed is fucking deaf. I'm more into like ministry or sonic youth. Looking back, Nirvana's stuff holds up. Nevermind is a bit slick, I prefer in utero overall. Im not a BIG fan of their stuff, but there was that time in my life when I dug them.

what the hell????

I could have swore I already posted a reply to this (I was first, in fact)

And now it's gone? I'll admit - the excerpts from the Bruce Vig interview were better then mine, I thought I was fairly helpful -

or didja cross-post....

daganabit.

RB

what were the differences in the way Nevermind was recorded and In Utero. cause In Utero sounds totally different. Iremember reading that they put mics all over the room and taped them to the ceiling and put them everywhere.

My two cents...

I like Nirvana. I don't think they were geniuses; I don't think they sucked either. What I give them credit for is finishing off what the 80's punks started - namely reviving the notion that the message in a simple song can be more powerful than how many lasers or smoke pots or hairdressers you employ.

Broken - I would be interested in knowing what source you were quoting from in your very interesting post.

A lot of people i notice are bitter towards nirvana...saying they ruined rock music and they werent too talented. i think it's exactly the opposite...where rock music stands today is NOT a result of what Nirvana did. They were just 3 guys...and besides the fact that they were done and over in 94'. It's 2001 and the 80's is back again. Theres no reason to be bitter anymore.

So you dont like Creed?!?!

If it wasnt for Creed the N'sync's and the backstreet boys of the world would completely take over the record companies. And musicians would be in a world of shit.

Besides good musicians they are good down to earth guys if you hung out with them.;)

Are you trying to imply that Creed and N'Sync aren't in the same league. Christ man, this is a horrible time for popular music.

Slackmaster 2000

what world are you living in darrin? as if the n'syncs and backstreet boys haven't already taken over. it's not like Creed is some unique innovative rock band that's saving rock music from all the manufactured, pepsi sponsored, mcdonalds eating teen popstars that cant write one line of music for themselves. i mean theres nothing to them. scott scraps or scott stapp or whatever the fuck his name is and his tight leather pants...thats all rockstars do nowadays...they put on the tight black leather pants, a wifebeater, and try to make their voice sound like a shitty impression of eddie vedder(which they can't quite pull off too well.) now the guy from tantric looks just like the guy from creed. you know, most people i know dont give a shit about creed really...that band just helps contribute to the reason why theres no good rock music anymore. all these bands coming out right now look and sound exactly alike to me.

Im from earth thank you. And just by having guitars in thier hands and still selling competitively with the boy bands Is keeping the record companies from going to all boy bands. And they will do that if that is all that seems lucrative out there.

Right now real bands are being threatened to be replaced by boy singing groups that show no talent ,just looks and dance steps. Slack right it is a bad time for rock but dont even think that creed is up there lipsyncing and dancing arround like a bunch of fairies, they are for real.

do you like them so much b/c theyre christians? im serious, i have a christian friend who likes christian rock...like Creed, P.O.D., U2...stuff like that.

Cobain was ok - but listening to some of you, you'd think he was John Lennon or something. But keep up the bitchin' - it makes for good reading!

AND ANOTHER THING!

N'Sync and Backstreet Boys do suck. Did anyone else see the SuperBowl when Aerosmith was on with some of the lightweights like Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys (or was it N'Sync)- what an embarassment!

Where can I find articles similar to the one that broken posted? These things are interesting to read and it gives me something to do.

so you don't think music right now is like the way it was in the 1980's? a lot of the bands from the 80's are releasing albums and touring all over again. then you got the teen popstars which resemble those of the 80's. rock music pretty much sucks all over again. and instead of big "hair bands" having half naked women stripping in their videos we got the rap artists to do that...having their women in thongs shaking their "booty" in EVERY single video. stop and think about it for a minute. the whole "grunge" direction the early 90's bands took rock music in is completely over. rap/metal music is not a product of early 90's rock...like I don't think Limp Bizkit is in any way influenced by Pearl Jam, you know? I don't particularly like any new music coming out right now. Most times I can't even find indie artists that I really like. theres only a few. mainly b/c they can't reach enough people not having major label distribution. if you want to believe that the music scene right now doesnt have it's similarities to the 1980's then thats fine by me. i'd just think you were somewhat in a state of denial.

I'm not in any denial. If all you can think of when someone mentions the 80's is "hair bands", then you have been listening to too much commercial radio and watching too much VH-1. The "hair bands" were only a small fraction of the rock music scene. Sorry, but I don't put ANY of the bands from NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) in the same category. Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Winger, Poison did in no way sound similar to Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, or Savage. Metallica brought thrash to a head in the states. Not to even mention the more prog leanings of Queensryche, Dream Theatre, and Savatage.

To top it off, NONE of the bands above sound similar to each other, and though there were a few knockoffs, there were far more original sounding artists then than now. Everything is now written and recorded in CreedHz.

Not yet convinced? Then you probably forgot all about guitar solos. Cuz since grunge, the solo from a post 80's song is pretty much taboo.

Still unconvinced? Then take a gander at ticket sales to those 80's acts still trying to tour. Anthrax got bumped off a recent Motley Crue tour because ticket sales were pathetic, and instead of getting rid of the fog machines and babes, they decided to damper the livelihood of their tourmates instead.

Furthermore, what is now the equivalent of the diverse New Wave movement that spread like wildfire and was embraced by the non metal genre?

Denial my ass, the eighties haven't returned.

:rolleyes: if you're talking about metal then thats a different story. i guess i was talking more about rock/pop music. cause i know some metal-head people and they've told me how the metal scene sucks right now... and I've related b/c a feel rock is suffering in the same way. I like some metal...like I love Black Sabbath. It sounds like rock to my ears. but I can't fucking stand metallica. although I give credit where credit is due. So in a metal sense you're right, 80's arent back. But there are so many similarities to the 80's besides the whole metal scene.

Right now some of the acts you mentioned might be doing terrible but there still are a few that are doing very well. Eg* I went to see Bon Jovi a few months ago. He sells out like everywhere he plays. I know there are others but I don't really like to keep up with it. I drive on the parkway past the Arts Center everyday where all the big concerts are held and I don't have to watch Vh1 to see the big sign reading POISON - MOTLEY CRUE...so don't tell me. I personally don't care about those shitty bands. The better of the 80's bands like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, U2, and whoever else is what really matters. They get airplay with their new material and the mainstream is STILL buying into it. There was a time when those bands we're almost finished. so i'm glad those with talent were able to make a comeback. as for guitar solos I don't feel that it's taboo one bit. The problem is that theres so many fucking musicians nowadays that 1 out of every 2 people knows how to play the guitar...so one can only assume that most can only play a few notes or hold down some bar chords. But there are plenty of young and upcoming acts that have killer guitar solos like KWS. They're not really my cup of tea but thats one example of somebody doing it. I just have to repeat my point - the last few years have been terrible for modern music. It just keeps getting worse. A lot of it reminds me of the 1980's. PERIOD!

There's a book in my local public library in their modest collection in the music/recording range of the dewey decimal system called Nevermind: Nirvana by Jim Berkenstadt, Charles Cross, and Clinton Heylin (ISBN 0825672007). I did take the time to look it over even though I'm not a fan of their music and it did appear to be quite informative as to the recording techniques used on Nevermind. A lot of detail about how Butch Vig worked. I would recommend that you look for it at a library or maybe Amazon or B&N.

Back