Nine Inch Nails sounds

tomb

i finally got a midi keyboard 2 weeks ago. I have been blown away by soft synths and samples. i bought the moog soft synth thinking it would sound ok, but i could no beleive how amazing that program is. My question is, what kind of soft synth would i need to get to produce nin sounds like closer. im new to keyboards so i dont know if im saying this right, but to me the first part other then the drums would be the bass line. nin has always impressed me with there sounds, well trent has. thanks alot.

You have the Arturia Moog modular synth? Please post some examples! And a review would be nice.

From what I understand, NIN uses Nord modulars. There was a couple discussions last spring on this topic, so use the search function. You might look into a used nord micromodular (about 350 on ebay) which you can control with your new MIDI controller, and then store a couple sounds for live use.

Softsynths- look into Absynth, or LinPlug's Albino.

Some free options are Iblit, Triangle II, FreeAlpha, and Crystal

Good luck
Chris

i will gladly get some samples up. i played with it last night for like 4 hours. theres tons of great presets, then i was trying to make my own patch. i had a mini moog given to me that never worked, i couldnt find anyone to get it fixed.i finally trahsed it. but i have wanted a moog for so long sincei hear return of the rentals. so when i saw this i had to get it. and liek i said i was blown away.

He does a lot of screwy things to get his sound. Try running the synths through guitar amps and effects pedals. Take parts and reverse them, slice them up and loop them. Record ambient percussive sounds and map them to a keyboard. Just play around until something sounds cool.

There's some stuff trent has that even he doesn't know what it is, pedals with no labels he bought at some obscure places, I like looking at his chaotic mess of a work environment (except for the clean mix rooms)- the amp idea suggested above was one you can throw out as a trent's method for NIN and that he likes to push on all his artist on Nothing Records is direct- he's all about direct recording.

and remember NIN offerering dating from Broken to present usually consist of a close to a-hundred or even so and beyond tracks- it's all about the layering to get crazy cross sounds. Broken especially- he supposedly put a ton of barely audibly sounds all over the place- suggesting not to play the record on a mono-playback device as it will blow up there's so much a mess of noise. He tried to make the album chaotic and terrible to listen to that way he could get removed from TVT records- hoping the guy who signed up and made things hell for him would think it's utter crap and destroy the 5 (i think) album contract.

tomb said:
i will gladly get some samples up. i played with it last night for like 4 hours. theres tons of great presets, then i was trying to make my own patch. i had a mini moog given to me that never worked, i couldnt find anyone to get it fixed.i finally trahsed it. but i have wanted a moog for so long sincei hear return of the rentals. so when i saw this i had to get it. and liek i said i was blown away.

Cool, man. The Rentals inspired my Moog craze as well :)

-Chris

how could you not love em. heh i sat down the other day trying to figure out how to play the keys on there stuff. so far i have friends of p, waiting and naive down.

I like Seven More Minutes ALOT better than Return of the Rentals.

Got almost all the leads for both records, if you need any assitance

-Chris

yes, i do. send me an e-mail. you say you have them, do you mean you have te music to them, or you know them?

It means I've got them memorized, and have patches programmed to sound like them.

I don't really know how that could help you, but I guess I could write out the note names.

The biggest trick is realizing the guitar and bass are tuned down 1/2 step (to Eb) so all the keys of the songs are usually in Ab, F#, Eb, Db, and B.

-Chris

Back