NGD: 1951 Epiphone Broadway Regent

Milnoque

Resident Curmudgeon
Just got it. Plays great. Good strong voice.Broadway Back.jpgBroadway Front.jpgBroadway Peghead.jpg

So I suck at photography.

It's going to get a new pickguard and pickup. The Gibson BJB it's got now doesn't like bronze strings, but as an acoustic it's definitely a keeper.

Sweet...

Put the right strings on it. Flat wound.... Heavy..

For the short haul I'll probably set it up with phosphor bronze 14s. I'll need it to be able to fake it as a flattop for a few of the songs the band does. Flats suck for that. Have you tried the Kent Armstrong Handwound P-90 pickup? I'm thinking that might be the ticket.

I should put flats on the Vega E-300. Thanks Mutt, I love flatwound strings and I haven't had them on anything in way too long.

That looks sweet. I had a '41 Epi Triumph for while--that built up my fingers. A guy came in the shop one day as I was playing it, bending notes on .013s, etc. He asked me what I did to get an acoustic to play like that. I said, "Practice."

For the short haul I'll probably set it up with phosphor bronze 14s. I'll need it to be able to fake it as a flattop for a few of the songs the band does. Flats suck for that. Have you tried the Kent Armstrong Handwound P-90 pickup? I'm thinking that might be the ticket.

I should put flats on the Vega E-300. Thanks Mutt, I love flatwound strings and I haven't had them on anything in way too long.

Yeh, I have used Kents pickups a lot in the past both hand wound and stock. Now I wind my own.

A customer recently send me a soundclip/video of a handwound kent armstrong on one of mine. I'll see if I can dig it out...

This

Why would one use such heavy strings on these things?

They sound great. It's not as much harder to play them as you might think. These guitars are designed to handle the stress. The guys that played them wanted to be heard over the horns in big bands back in the thirties and forties.

I think you've expanded the limits of my jealousy. That is nice!

oh, and I found this..
p1_u2zezzz5d_so.jpg

That's the one I bought!!

I was pleasantly surprised with the voice right out of the case when I first played it. Now she's opening up and showing me what she's really got!!

Damn right you're jealous!! Ha Ha

Back