Newbies and newcomers, read this.

DigitalHS

I have been a member of this forum for over 20 years. I never visit this place anymore, and the reason I visited today was simply remembering how and when I got started in the recording rabbit hole. Looking back, I have learned so much, and I asked a lot of silly questions. Cringe worthy questions. Like overthinking things questions. Anyway, best advice I can give as a seasoned engineer it this: Learn the basics of compression and eq, set your studio monitors up correctly (that means calibrate them!) LEARN YOUR GEAR and LEARN TO LOVE YOUR GEAR- If you do all of these thing, everything else will come naturally and in due time. One of my favorite mixing books is by Bobby Owsinski. Good luck guys- I wish you all the best. Signing off. -MD

I have been a member of this forum for over 20 years. I never visit this place anymore, and the reason I visited today was simply remembering how and when I got started in the recording rabbit hole. Looking back, I have learned so much, and I asked a lot of silly questions. Cringe worthy questions. Like overthinking things questions. Anyway, best advice I can give as a seasoned engineer it this: Learn the basics of compression and eq, set your studio monitors up correctly (that means calibrate them!) LEARN YOUR GEAR and LEARN TO LOVE YOUR GEAR- If you do all of these thing, everything else will come naturally and in due time. One of my favorite mixing books is by Bobby Owsinski. Good luck guys- I wish you all the best. Signing off. -MD
If I want to record vocals will I need to buy a microphone?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom! Learning the basics and mastering your gear is indeed invaluable advice. It's incredible how far knowledge and experience can take you on your recording journey. Bobby Owsinski's books are fantastic resources too. Wishing you all the best, and who knows, you might visit again one day!

Back