Newbie Questions About Vocal Effects Box

Use whatever you want, it still wont mean a thing harry potter. Mic is short for microphone. Mike is a persons proper name. Bike is an object, not proper name.

Communication is an art form. No rules or currency to it. If you just wanted to fight you should have done that from the start.

Use whatever you want, it still wont mean a thing harry potter. Mic is short for microphone. Mike is a persons proper name. Bike is an object, not proper name.

Communication is an art form. No rules or currency to it. If you just wanted to fight you should have done that from the start.

Y'beat me to it Laz'.

Dave.

Calling DesrtRatt !! I hope all this badennage has not put you off the forum?
This is just how it goes sometimes and you are still very, very welcome to come back with questions (or even "shut TFUP! You old *****!_ if you like.

I CAN tell you, these ding-dongs are FAR milder than those of a few years ago when threats of violence and derogation of one's parentage was common!

Dave.

You know, I never knew any Mic's. A Meik. Mc's and Mac's. A Micholes.

If you wanted to avoid confusion, probably calling it a mic is better.

Mike away if you must but it looks weird and COSTS one extra letter.

Last edited:
You know, I never knew any Mic's. A Meik. Mc's and Mac's. A Micholes.

If you wanted to avoid confusion, probably calling it a mic is better.

Mike away if you must but it looks weird and COSTS one extra letter.

THEN we have the verb issue...if we say we MIKE something, some people might think you are taking the proverbial?

I shall say this once more then have me tea. In every electronic device the component is call a "Capacitor" never anything else. Why would we call the capcitor that is the active element in a capacitor mic anything else?

(oh and bicycles used to be called "Verlocipedes")

Dave.

How about a multi pole filter?

A filter can bring the recording to the edge. If the tone controls are not stimulating the area you want, filter.

I got my two new Perception 170 mics yesterday. So things are progressing. They sound much better on vocal.

No, arguments on a forum don’t bother me a bit. I’ve been on many many forms for many many years and nothing bothers me. Thanks for all the great help!

I'm surprised the P170s don't get more mention. For a low cost SDC, I find they have a nicely balanced sound and are reasonably quiet. I have a pair that I use for acoustic guitar, and I've used it for drums as well.

I'm surprised the P170s don't get more mention. For a low cost SDC, I find they have a nicely balanced sound and are reasonably quiet. I have a pair that I use for acoustic guitar, and I've used it for drums as well.

I bought a pair to do stereo mic on my acoustic guitar, but I was short one mic cable in my setup, so I’m waiting for it from Amazon. Meanwhile, the one 170 is sounding great on my guitar. $100 bucks each... no brainier!

I don't know whether the TC Helicon Electric is still available; but that is the vocal effects box which I use anytime I use one. It has reverb and delay, it also has pitch correction, which I have used sparingly when I have recorded. It also has some neat "harmonizer" capability so that you can play a guitar into it, sing, and the unit will generate one or two more vocal parts, depending on the settings you enter. You can also adjust the relationship between the note you sing and the note or notes you get. Thus, if you wanted to emulate bluegrass harmony, you can set for "high," and "higher" to do a pretty good job of doing up a bluegrass song, at least on the simpler chord patterns. It also can use a footswitch to cycle through the memories up or down. It takes a bit of "doing" to get it set the way you want; but I have been happy with my unit. It also came rom Sweetwater, and I have enjoyed dealing with that company very much

The TC Electronics mic mechanic is great live but I would not record with it.

Proximity/distance from the mic has a lot to do with the sound. Good live singers move themselves or the mic closer or further depending upon what they are doing.

When recording I often do this in a less drastic way. I am usually 8 inches from the mic on a lead vocal and if I need to belt something out I back up a bit. When I need that bass I can get and inch or two from the mic.
For back up vocals I can be 2-3 feat away and it really sits nice in the mix.

The mic I switched to after the sm58 was an MXL-990 a pretty decent condenser mic that can be had for under $100.00 it does require 48v phantom power.
Then later I upgraded the capsule and the screen now it sounds as good as the Rode NT1 that I got.

Back