Newbie Question!

Railway Surfer

Hi Guys
As the title to my post explains, I'm new, which you can probably also read as DUMB!!! Hopefully someone can help. I've bought an old Porta Two (the big one) to dabble in a little band practice recording and general recording/songwriting. I've managed to get the ol' girl going with no electronics experience so far but ..... the plaque of all old tascam users by the look NO MANUAL!!! I can record 4 tracks but outside of that I have no idea what most of the buttons, switches, dials and general inputs are or mean?! Has anyone got a pdf of a manual they'd care to share? Is there a tutorial for something similar to my machine available, and if so where. Thanks in advance for your time.

Nobody is giving that manual away that I can tell. Most people you ask will think you mean the Porta 02, which is a newer machine. You'll either have to buy the manual or get the manual for another Portastudio and infer how to operate the Porta Two based on that.

Thanks Diggy
I'm quite happy to pay for a copy, if someone can come up with one. I might be on to a guy over here (NZ) who has a later model than mine but appears quite similar. All I'm really confused with is the Sync button and out puts and the Cue dials and outputs. I gather I can bounce tracks over to track 5 and 6 for over dubs but how I have no idea. This is the sort of info I'm after. If someone reads this and can explain it to me I'd be greatly appreciative. If I get this manual I'll let everyone know and put it in PDF form. Cheers

The sync button switches off noise reduction on the highest-numbered track so you can record FSK or SMPTE time code on it. You won't need it unless you plan to sync another device to the Porta.

The cue output and knob are the aux/effects send, and mixer channels 5 and 6 are probably for aux/effect return.

You can't bounce to tracks 5 and 6, as there are only four tracks on the tape.

The original product brochure can be downloaded here. It has some explanatory info. about the machine's features. You will probably have to register to download the file.

Tascam Ministudio Series | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine

Well I've been mucking around and I think I'm pretty much on top of operations now. Just track "bouncing" to sort properly and I'm all good I think. These things are so much fun!!!

OK What am I doing wrong!!! I've tried recording 2 or 3 tracks and then bouncing them to 4 and re recording over them but it erases the original part. Obviously they aren't recording onto track 4? Am I using the right technique, I record 1 + 2 set them to safe, then pan them right and set track 4 to right. Turn the monitor to remix, hit record and play and that should be it??? Am I right or have I missed something vital. Please enlighten me as it's driving me nuts.

Are you un-arming tracks 1&2 before you start bouncing? Sounds to me like they were recording when only track 4 should have been armed to record.

RAMI, setting tracks 1 & 2 to "safe" should unarm them.

Surfer, get the 424 manual from the link in my signature and see how it works there. Should be the same.

Cheers for your help guys, I've already got that manual thanks Diggy, that's how I came up with the process. I managed to get a MIDI drum track onto 4 and two guitar parts onto 1 + 2 and then bounce them onto 3 in the weekend so the process has to be the same for 4? I must have just been doing something wrong??? I'll try and have another go tonight and check my process. The good news is that a mate came around and he has the same model as me and he's certain he has a manual somewhere!!! So if thats the case I'll have a copy for anyone who needs one, although it seems pretty easy once you get into it. Thanks again for your time.

Back