Newbie question: Which gear?

Mickmeister

I'm currently using an SM-58 (vintage 1980s from my band days!), going directly into the computer through a USB adapter. That's pretty much the extent of my equipment, so, not exactly state of the art. I'm looking to upgrade without spending a ton of money...maybe $300 US? The SM-58 does a pretty decent job with vocals, but I record a lot of acoustic guitar and I'd like something that works better for that.

Musician's Friend is running a special on this Tascam US-1200 MXL package:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/recording-packages/tascam-us-1200-mxl-package?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=COq2hOHJssICFQET7AodNTcAQg&kwid=productads-plaid^83573862267-sku^J06055000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

Might the above be a good choice for me? Any gear recommendations appreciated!

Wouldn't be a bad setup to get started with; it would definitely give you more options with the 2 MXL mics included. Does it come with any DAW software?

Yowsers...the 1800 sure has a lot of outputs compared to the 1200. Would I really need all that? I'm thinking I would only need a way of getting the signal out of the box and into my computer, no?

Software-wise, I've been using Audacity, but being a computer graphics artist I have a juiced-up Adobe bundle that includes Audition, so I think I may dig into that.

I'm only new to the forum so go by what others say here I'm sure they know more but just so that I can be of some help here and hopefully make a good impression as someone who tries to help as well as ask Qs, are my thoughts:

If there's one thing I've learnt it's spend the money where it will give you the quality, not with gimmicks etc or stuff you won't use.

Do you need 4 inputs?
Do you need two mic stands and cables?
Do you need two mics?

I don't know your circumstances but if it's just you at a computer laying down perhaps a guitar track then vocals on top with another take then rather than getting something cheap that seems like a good deal why not spend the money exactly where you need it, like one very good USB/firewire interface preamp eg RME babyface (dearer I know, but just to make the point) or cheaper. And then also a good mic that can really improve your vocals and be used on guitar too. I use a AT4040 condenser mic good for both... better than a SM58 for vocals and good for acoustic too. But then you need to have a treated room etc etc, so again it depends on yoru circumstances but in any case the general rule I would say would be if you don't need 4 inputs don't get it because you'll be paying for it somehow. I can't see how that bundle will be top quality conversion or top quality mics. But tbh I'm not used any of that before...

Okay, I just pulled the trigger on the Tascam package. I like the idea of getting a total package rather than buying ala carte and wondering about compatibility, etc. Also, I've heard a lot of good things about those mics. Some people are using the pair to mic acoustic guitars...the wide-diaphram one on the bridge and the pencil on the 12th fret. There's a video of a guy on YouTube playing through that combination and I thought it's pretty impressive given the cheap price. So we'll see how this goes...thanks to all for the input. Hmm...can I think of a good "input" pun? No...okay, that's all from me.

Back