Continuing down the rabbit hole straight into NIGHTMARE. dm10, mt power drumkit 2

Flyndad

For everyone that commented and helped with my earlier problem a most sincerest thanks!

Let's start out with "I am NOT enjoying this learning curve thus far". Every time I believe I am ready to take even the smallest step forward, I find myself taking tens steps backward and becoming even more confused than before.

So here goes:

I thought it would be prudent to learn this new digital recording "thing" as a small step by step approach in the chronological order in which most sessions are (were?) run.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS RECORD DRUMS from an electronic, trigger pad, drum kit to capture the "performance" of the musician, and be able to make the final decision on what drum sounds to use, near or during the mix down stage. This IS supposed to be one of the "great" things about all this computer recording right ?? Back in the days of tape, once it was on tape there wasn't much you could do to get a completely different sound.. So,.. this is something I plan to take advantage of,. even if it kills me,..

So I have an Alesis DM10 studio kit which I have/want to use a vst drum program for the sounds right? Should be simple enough,... NOT! I have usb from dm10 to studio one pro and am able to have the triggers trigger the sounds in MT Power drum kit 2 but there are 2 problems.

1. The midi notes are NOT matching up. When I go into Mt Power to adjust the mapping I can highlight the instrument I want to change and simply type in the proper value for the dm10 (this alone took quite awhile as there is NO mapping information in the dm10 manual), BUT,,... but,.. MT Power has a feature that when you click on the instrument to change it's value, you can get it to autofeed the info by simply hitting the trigger you want to play that instrument. HOWEVER the stupid dm10 WILL NOT stop ghost triggering. Every 15 seconds or so, without even being near the kit, a few of the triggers will sound off meaning the the value I am trying to set gets changed in the drum vst. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating! I have already sent the unit to Alesis once to have it fixed and I have spent endless HOURS adjusting sensitivity, crosstalk, etc, etc,.. Is there a way to turn off the "auto fill" feature in MT Power drum kit 2??

2. The hi hat pedal isn't matching up either. I do get a proper "step on the pedal" sound when the pedal is stepped on. When I hit the hi hat with the pedal up I get an open hi hat sound, but when I depress the pedal AND hit the hi hat I STILL get an open hi hat sound. UUGGHH!,.. Any suggestions out there ??

Right now I am STRONGLY leaning towards the purchase of the Ddrum DDTI Trigger interface Ddrum DDTI Trigger Interface | Musician's Friend as I now LOATH the dm10, am not crazy about the sounds in contains, am frustrated by the limited number of outputs it has, AND it won't stop sending erroneous ghost triggers. This would leave me with a trigger only set up using vst drums, which suits me fine anyway,..

Has anyone out there had the opportunity to work with one of these ?

Can anyone throw a candle down here,.. it certainly appears to be a rather deep hole?,.. hehehe,.. Thanks,.

Okay guys,.. After approximately 8 hours of constant searching through the net I found THIS! 1
Luke Crompton over 3 years ago
HEY GUYS I FOUND THE ISSUE!!!

Ok go to your DM10 module and press UTILITY

Then F3 for Trigger

Change the settings to this

HiHat:Note Only
HHSplash: Not Sent
CYM Choke: Sent

Now go to your Superior Drummer and re-learn the triggers.

Worked for me.

Who would have thunk?!? This did solve everything, and with my daughter helping we were able to get the notes into MT Power Drumkit 2 fast enough before the ghost hits changed the note,..

So,. all in all I consider this a very successful day. Now onto getting the loop function down cold,.. wish me luck! :)

Thanks again...

Good luck. About the only thing standard is GM MIDI
Yes, but the GM MIDI drum mapping standard is actually pretty common across most of these drum VSTis. It really just makes sense that they'd want their software to come close to sounding normal when used to play a GM file, so most (I'm not familiar with this mt powerkit thing, but a quick search confirmed) default to match at least the core kit elements - from C1 kick at least up to B1 Hit Tom and the ride and crash on C#2 and D#2.

But you know who never got on board with that GM standard for drum mapping? Alesis of course. None of their drum modules ever lined up right. Don't know why, but it's a thing. If it was me, I'd have changed the trigger assignments in the DM10 instead of remapping the software. It's more fiddly, but you save that as a preset that you use when you're triggering VSTis and then you're done with it.

Anyway, sounds like you're rocking now! This will definitely be easier and probably sound a lot better than trying to get individual drum sounds from the DM10 like we discussed in your other thread.

I got a lot of stuff that doesn't know GM from GMO. I programmed myself to not mess with it too much anymore : ) I'm back to beat pads and sequencers. I made sure one last largish hardware purchase had GM for when I need it.

Back