Newbie Q: How 2 Replace Microsoft Wave with knew card?

MoBuc

:confused: Hi all. Just installed Tascam US-1800 USB Audio Interface. I had 2 goals:
  1. Replace my EMU 1212m PCI Audio Card with I/O Pre-Amp & greater features;
  2. Maintain or improve my current DAW (Mostly 'In Box') options.

To do the 2 above, I should be able to continue using only 1 Snd Crd. I've disabled my on-board MS Wavetable/AC 97 long ago with no problems. Now with the US-1800, I cannot record Web streams or 3rd party Audio into my Sequencer/Recorder SW.

Q: How can I use or configure, the US-1800 to send Browser streams into 'In Box' Recording Gear?

Ex. Previously, I could Record my Webinar's Audio into either PowerTracks Pro 2011 (ASIO Drvr) or Audacity (MME Drvr). If needed, I could then use Fx within either Mixer/Recorder by send/record from 1 to the other. No cabling or ASIO/MME changes required.

So far, I must use at least 2-Snd Crds/Drivers to achieve what I did with my 1212m alone. I now have Cubase LE5 which came w/the US-1800 but so far, no solution without keeping 2 sound cards active. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Look for an option to enable WDM audio.

I admit, Cubase LE5 is new to me, and may hold the answer but I have not found it. I've just started going thru Cubase's Tutorial. I am experienced w/PGMusic's PowerTracks Pro & have only 2 Audio Driver (Devices) choices: ASIO or MME. For MIDI, of course, I have the 2 Interface choices along with 8 x My YOKE cables (Used with Proteus VX only). In Audacity I do have MME/Win Direct Snd but, that did not solve my problem. Correct me if wrong, I believe MS WDM is disabled when I disabled the default/MoBo's Audio Card. I believe what made the EMU Crd work was it's custom built WDM to accompany the ASIO Drvr. IMO. Do U think I can do this Cubase?

I think it's just an option of your interface. You might not have one but with a quick google search I noticed they do mention WDM in the Tascams specs.

I have a persons fire studio and it's in the same window where you set the sample rate.

I'm not good with computer stuff but here is what I have found. With my 1641 (same as 1800) I made the Tascam the default soundcard device for my PC. The digital inputs (15 and 16) is where every audio signal through my PC is found.

I have no idea if this helps.

I think it's just an option of your interface. You might not have one but with a quick google search I noticed they do mention WDM in the Tascams specs.

I have a persons fire studio and it's in the same window where you set the sample rate.

1st. TetraFish I really appreciate your time & ideas on this ... Below is a link to Screen Prints of the US-1800 Control Panel within Power Tracks Pro and Cubase.

The Control Panel allows me to edit Audio Perform (latency), Sample Clock (Automatic, Internal or External), Digi-Out Channels (only 1-4 Out-Ports), & Digi Format (only SPDIF/AES-EBU). Owner's Manual says all other controls are DAW Software controlled. Since Cubase LE5 came bundled, I believe the answer is somewhere there but- I haven't found it yet.

www-DOT-larryjackson-DOT-net/us1800.html

You will have to copy/paste & replace the "-DOT-" with "." cause this Forum gave me a message that I cannot post a URL until after 5 or more postings! What's that about? :-(

I'm not good with computer stuff but here is what I have found. With my 1641 (same as 1800) I made the Tascam the default soundcard device for my PC. The digital inputs (15 and 16) is where every audio signal through my PC is found.

I have no idea if this helps.

Thanks Jimmy, it does verify another question I had on my mind. Tascam's User Guide is fuzzy about the flow of data between the USB & internal routing of this Interface. I appreciate your response. Forum won't allow me to post a link so, look at my response to tetraFish. If U wish to give more thought to it, try that link out for a better understanding of this issue. Thanks again guys. I'm late for dinner & probably won't be back until tomorrow, I'll check out any new ideas then. Take Care.

I really don't think it's a cubase issue.

Look here tascam DOT com/content/downloads/products/535/e_us-1800_om_va.pdf at page 15. Have you tried that?

I was all set to tell U of a discovery that I made when I saw your latest post. What jumps out at me is the top right column of Pg15 of the manual that says "...but no sound will be output by the computers speakers or headphone jack". I did not believe that would negate streaming Audio from being routed into the PC recording software (or any audio produce within the PC to be recorded within the PC). :eek:

I can hear music played from the PC passing thru the US1800 to speakers attached to the US1800. I can record from any device attached to the US1800 into software on my PC (Audacity, Power Tracks or Cubase) but cannot record audio produced on my PC in 1 program to another program that is a recorder.

I thought my ignorance of Tascam and/or Cubase was the problem but- I think it's more of how Tascam routes it's audio internally (from what I read on Pg15). So, I guess this is more than a newbie issue. I may close this question and open another & re-word the problem as an advance issue and ask for work-around ideas since it's not caused by me or mechanical failure. Notice the Pic on Pg15 shows grayed out volume under the Recording Device. I'm mildly angry w/Tascam as the US1800 cost twice as much as my EMU 1212m & so far has only surpassed the 1212m by Amp'd I/O Ports- and no ADATS OR Toslink SPDIF! :(

I really, really thank you Tetrafish & Jimmys69 again for your help & time. If U have work-around ideas (2 Sound cards, etc), I can use them in my new-2-come Question Post. ;)

BTW, This URL restriction until 5 or more Posts is getting 2B a real headache. I have to alter TetraFish URL in order to quote his reply @#$%^!&*!!! :mad:

Just post a few 'argh's' here and your be set! LOL. I know Cubase LE is limited and does not show inputs in the mixer. In Cubase 5 and up you see them there and can route them (15 and 16) to a bus to record on a track. I am not home to try, but it seems you could just record from a bus setup for them. If you can hear the digital stuff through the interface then it is coming through an input somewhere. I will did in to it this afternoon if someone does'nt figure it out before then. Hang in there man. I'm sure there is a way because I have recorded computer produced signals many times. Just don't remember exactly how. We'll get it figured out.

Just post a few 'argh's' here and your be set! LOL. I know Cubase LE is limited and does not show inputs in the mixer. In Cubase 5 and up you see them there and can route them (15 and 16) to a bus to record on a track. I am not home to try, but it seems you could just record from a bus setup for them. If you can hear the digital stuff through the interface then it is coming through an input somewhere. I will did in to it this afternoon if someone does'nt figure it out before then. Hang in there man. I'm sure there is a way because I have recorded computer produced signals many times. Just don't remember exactly how. We'll get it figured out.

Thanks Jimmy...I wanted to change my Subject line but couldn't so, I've opened another Question about this, "Newbie w/Advance Q: TASCAM US1800, How to "In Box" Play & Record?". I will close this 1 and pickup there. BTW, I'll post the dummy posts like you suggested! :)

Back