Newb’s perfect YouTube music video set up

Bearfoot

Hi there, first time poster here.

I’m getting tired of paying someone $200-300 for one nice looking/sounding YouTube video at a time so I’ve decided to bite the bullet and buy some stuff to do my own.

im looking for advice on gear (for the audio Aspect of this of course)

it’ll just be myself and my acoustic guitar in my living room type of thing.

I own a 2013 MacBook Pro and already have Logic Pro downloaded.

I’m mainly looking for suggestions on audio interfaces, and mics (as well as other stuff I may not be thinking of) to be able to pull off a really nice sounding “living room sessions” type of vibe. Keeping in mind, this a set up for someone who knows very little about recording.

Thanks!

Pretty much any interface from a reputable maker that has two inputs will do. Don't go cheap with one that has only one mic input. Mic choice and placement are going to be the big factors, with room acoustics next on the list. If you mic close enough you can largely minimize room effects. I think a standard handheld styel vocal mic is fine for vocals. Maybe a small diaphragm condenser for the guitar will be good, though a large diaphragm condenser is also an option (but more visually intrusive).

My co worker...used a cheap DSLR with USB for youtube vids. On a Win10 Laptop with OpenBroadcastSource software. It was called OBS. You could hang a green screen, pinned to a wall behind you. Then add in backgrounds. Command multiple camera angles. Video effects. Audio inputs could be assigned. Looked pretty easy to me.

Make your bedroom wall into a Stadium!
Screenshot 2021-03-15 133740.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback LazerBeakSkiek.

my main concerns are, seeing as how I don’t know much about this kinda stuff, that I’ll buy an audio interface that doesn’t work seamlessly with Logic, or something like that, that would throw me off ya know.

I have a Neumann Kms 105 that I use for live acoustic shows.

You guy think that would work (well) for this kind of set up?

I’ve got the 105s for stage use and I like the sound but they’re not something that sounds that nice at a distance. They seem optimised for lips on the grill tone, and are quite thin sounding further away. I’d not use them on an acoustic guitar, I have better suited mics. They’re not bad, but that’s not really their design aim.

If your only purpose is to record videos of you playing guitar and singing, why even go the DAW route? Any newer smart phone has a decent camera and mic to record, or get a digital camera that will do the same (I've got a Panasonic that was under $200 - here's an example of what that does: ) You are facing a pretty big learning curve to get comfortable with a DAW, then video editing, too.

I use an M201 for drum overheads - it's a strange thing to - use a dynamic on sizzly cymbals but it works really well and the narrower angle works pretty well.

The Neumann is fine for vocals. I used a 104 (sold to a lady friend who really liked it). I prefer a small diaphragm condenser (SDC) on the acoustic in addition to the vocal mic, though if the space is good a large diaphragm condenser (LDC) can work. I only use that setup in my little music room at home where I've got adequate treatment.

I've done some single mic stuff and it's a lot of testing to get it balanced, and if you spend the time and get your performance and video good, but the mic was in the wrong spot, you get to do it again. With a second mic, you can adjust balance between guitar and vocal if it's not perfect in the recording. My $.02 anyway.

Yeah, if it were me, I'd go with two mics. Use the 104 on vocals and get something that will work on the guitar. A good LDC is great, but an SDC is fine.

My son makes very acceptable recordings of classical guitar with a Mackie EM-91C LDC and a Behringer UMC204HD. I have posted a couple of his pieces here and people seem to think they are good. But a steel stringer and vocals are a rather different matter. 'King sight louder for one thing!

Mics have been well covered but for an interface I would suggest the MOTU M2 or the Native Instruments KA6 (I own one of the latter but lust after the former!)

There was a good article in Sound on Sound a year or so ago on recording a strumming singer, I shall see if I can find a link for thee....I suspect your biggest challenge will be killing bad room acoustics. "Bad" because small rooms always are!

Dave.

Back