New tune... Live drums in this one

VOXVENDOR

Just a fun little ditty I did last night and today.

It's a song about depression... I'm doing it totally for fun, and didn't worry to much about polishing it... Heck the lyrics are pulled out of the air.. Didn't sit and compose them.

Drums...

Yorkville Bass Drum Mike (Apex 125)
2-MXL 603's on OH
SM57 Snare.... .. All going through old macki 1604 CR

Guitar.. Mex Strat, POD

Bass, Direct into my Digi Breakoutbox..

Vocals... AT4033 through my Davisound TB-10

Very unfinished... Don't even have a solo or ending yet.... Just wanted to get some input, so posted a shortened version.

I am still working on the drums.. I don't like this dry/ raw sound... I thought It was ok last night, but I think it needs more processing and wettening.... Not too sure.

Thanks for any input.

"I will never find it."
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/voxvendor/singles

Sounds like your headed stragiht to radio with this one. I`m on pc speakers right now but it sounds really good. The vocal mix is superb. THe drums sound clean and punchy, maybe just a tiny touch of too much in the face. Clean rythyms. tight. yayyy!

Nice pop tune! Nice guitar tones. Would like to hear some harmonies. It almost seems like the song never really gets going. Perhaps you should add something every verse, maybe a harmony or a riff of some sort.

Nice Vox!....Are you doing the drums? Kick sounds great and I really like that fat ringy sounding snare although it could use just a bit more 'snap' for my tastes. Sounds good though.
Cool tune.....well written and catchy.....I'd like to hear it finished.

hey nice job, the drums however, to me, sound canned , listening on studiophile monitors. everything else is superior. And way superior to my stuff, at that!

Peace
Bill

Hey Guys, Thanks!!!!!..

Thanks for listening everyone... Yeah, thats me on the drums.... No, they're not canned.. I swear thats me sitting and playing..... Theres the odd mistake thats been fixed via paste or duplication, but thats me sitting at the kit.

Tama Rockstar, with Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute..

I totally agree Bob, about getting a bit more snap outta that snare, I will work on that...

Thanks for listening everyone..

Joe

Off to a good start....

Needs:

Backing vocals

More guitars

Tighter, thinner snare heads :D

Nice work so far, dude!:cool:

sounds great Vox..

I like loud bass drums, but this one seems almost too loud.. almost. I like the snare too..

Where are the layered backups man??

I think the snare has a nice air to it, but it's pretty loud and it's tuned very high, which is why I think wfaroni made the canned comment...

Needs some BGVs and something in the space between the "da-das" in the chorus (muted guitar percussive-like thing, maybe a tambourine...even a synth pad). It needs to be separated from the verse

Nice tune
Chris

Nice sound-good pop-I wish I could get drums sounding this good-I liked the snare and the kick sounds. Nice guitar tones and parts too. This is going to be a great tune when you flesh it out some more. Very good.

Thanks guys!!!!

Yeah, I tune my snare up very high.... I'm gonna do some layering in the backing vocals and etc.... I think BSabbath and Chrisjob has made good points about the drums being too loud especially the bass drum... I will work on that..

What bothers me, is the drums sound too underprocessed to me... I know this might sound crazy, but they sound *too* real to me........ Not sure..

Might experiment with some reverbs and other shit..

Thanks for listening everyone.

Joe

nice song, it gets a bit repetetive though and i think the vocal melody needs to change a bit more to make it more interesting.
I liked the drum sound though, very crisp. Nice work

VOXVENDOR said:
Thanks guys!!!!

Yeah, I tune my snare up very high.... I'm gonna do some layering in the backing vocals and etc.... I think BSabbath and Chrisjob has made good points about the drums being too loud especially the bass drum... I will work on that..

What bothers me, is the drums sound too underprocessed to me... I know this might sound crazy, but they sound *too* real to me........ Not sure..

Might experiment with some reverbs and other shit..

Joe

If you're gonna add stuff, I say leave the snare where it is, and the kick too. They can get lost as you add stuff (my experience anyway, and I must have done about two dozen tunes this past year with live drums).

I think the rigidness(if that's a word) of your playing probably prompted the "canned" comment, although the song may call for it.

Anyway, good tones thru my PC speakers. I've listened to a lot of your tunes. Live drums will be icing on the cake.

i like the drums! vocal sounds good as well.

bass drum just a tad too loud on my monitors.

ending of the song was a little abrupt :).

Hey Vox,
......very nice, and very clean! I agree re: the loud kick, ....but the dryness (as you put it) doesnt turn me off at all. This is screaming for a shitload of vocs..... Nice, solid Pop man. I enjoyed this alot.
g

I Like!

Vox,
I love the sound you are getting on your drums. I love the snare, it is more what I have personally been looking for. I have a 13" Mapex Maple snare but I haven't gotten that sound out of it. Can you elaborate a little more on your mic placement on the kit?
I think the kick is fine at that loudness , it gives some drive to the bass guitar.

I took this right after the session...

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL10/656353/1305538/23753705.jpg

Not a very good pic... but, will give you an idea.

Snare mic is pointing at the head about 1/4" off the head and about 1" from the rim.... Slightly angled towards the middle of the snare.

Bass drum mic is just tossed in beside the pillow, but doesn't sit on wood.. I have thin foam underneath it.

And overheads, are placed with one being over the ride, and one over the HH and the cymbal, sort of between...

I am very non-surgical with the placement. Just toss them up and away I go...

I do alot of fixing in the mix..... If you saw how much eq I have on the snare, you would shit your pants.... :)

It's weird, but works for me.

Joe

Back