New to Home Recording/mic issues

Jcahoon

Hello everyone,

I'll try and keep this short. I recently bought a Nt1a microphone and shock mount and a Yamaha DGX-660 digital piano. I was hoping to plug the microphone into my keyboard and got an adapter so I could do so. The mic wont input anything when its plugged in however.

Am I missing a piece of machinary, is the mic not compatible, or am I doing something wrong? What do you recommend for mic stands that can hold the weight of an nt1a and shock mount? Thanks!

Jacob C

Er....... Digital pianos don't record from microphones - they don't even have a microphone socket. Your mic has an XLR 3 pin connector which also feeds power to the microphone to make it work. Your keyboard doesn't have any inputs does it? How have you even plugged it in?

The NT1A is a condensor mike that requires a phantom power supply that is delivered through its XLR connections.

The microphone input on the Yamaha is a standard 6.5mm jack. It doesn't supply phantom power.

To do what you want you need a phantom power supply.

Something like this would work:
Behringer Micropower PS400 Phantom Power Supply | Microphone Preamps - Store DJ.

Connect mike to supply via XLR to XLR cable.

Connect supply to keyboard via XLR to XLR plus your adapter

---------- Update ----------

Er....... Digital pianos don't record from microphones - they don't even have a microphone socket. Your mic has an XLR 3 pin connector which also feeds power to the microphone to make it work. Your keyboard doesn't have any inputs does it? How have you even plugged it in?

The Yamaha 660 has a 6.5mm mike input

There cpould be a couple of issues? That mic input might not be balanced and so the balanced NT1a might be rather noisy. This also complicates the choice of adapter cable from phantom unit to keyboard.

XLR to TRS (3 pole) jack plug will work if the kbd jack IS balanced but probably won't if the input is not balanced. An XLR to TS (2 pole jack) will work into either style input but will always be unbalanced.

I also fear the kbd mic input is intended for a basic dynamic mic and therefore could easily be overloaded by the rather hot Rode?

Sorry to malke things a little more complicated but this is what happens when you mix up kit that wasn't really designed to be used together.

Personally I would buy a small mixer.

Dave.

I totally missed the fact it can record from a mic. That’s actually rather a neat feature. I googled and saw the sockets in a diagram and totally missed the quarter inch socket for the mic. As laptops have their sockets made condenser mic friendly so people can podcast it seems a dropped ball from Yamaha to limit the feature to dynamics?

I totally missed the fact it can record from a mic. That’s actually rather a neat feature. I googled and saw the sockets in a diagram and totally missed the quarter inch socket for the mic. As laptops have their sockets made condenser mic friendly so people can podcast it seems a dropped ball from Yamaha to limit the feature to dynamics?

Laptop jacks only produce about 5 volts Rob to power the impedance converter in (generally cheap) electret microphones and headsets. I have had two of the 'BM800' style mics and they worked very well with my HP laptop. The mics are supplied with an LR to 3.5mm stereo jack cable but also work with a conventional mic cable and 48V. In many ways a more versatile mic than a cheap USB type.

The jack on OP's kbd MAY provide a similar low voltage but it will be no where near enough for the NT1.

You might think not providing full spook juice is remiss and tight A of the kbd makers but there are complications. They would have to fit a DC-DC converter to boost the existing supply to 48V, an added cost. Then, putting phantom power on a jack is a big no-no, you can eff external kit. 48V should only appear on XLR3 connectors, more cost and space.

Dave.

You are too kind Robby!

As I sit here recovering from my C-19 jab* I thought I would bore the pants off y'all and drone on a bit about why I suggested a mixer?
Firstly it is the 'right' way to solve the problem. Even a modest unit such a my Berry Xenyx 802 will have the correct 48V supply, an XLR(!) and a pre amp with adjustable gain making it suitable for use with almost any type of microphone.

A mixer also gives the future possiblity of feeding in other sources. Another mic, guitar, bass, drum machine/kit. In short, hugely improved versatility. But there is an extra cost...

WTGR Jacob you have a keyboard that cost around $1000? The Nt1a is not a cheap mic by any means. There are ships in danger of spoiling here mate!

So, you are going to ask, "which mixer" TBH it really does not matter. The X802 mentioned already would be fine but so would a score of others around that price. Do not however go for the very cheapes option with one mic input. First of all, some of them do not deliver the full 48V phantom power and secondly you WILL curse the lack of a second mic channel one day!

To use the mixer into the kbd? An XLR mic cable of course (but DO buy a spare!) Output from the mixer TS mono jack cable (or cables, must have a closer look ate those keys...)

* Had it yesterday, 9am. No sweat. Today I am K.N.A.C.K.E.R.E.D! Keep dropping off in me chair, cannot be arsed to do anything...Bit better now.

Dave.

I would guess that the Behringer phantom supply would be sufficient. That and a XLR to TS converter should be fine. I'm guessing that if you're recording into the piano's memory, you're not really worried about it being the absolute highest quality, although I imagine it will be quite usable.

I would guess that the Behringer phantom supply would be sufficient. That and a XLR to TS converter should be fine. I'm guessing that if you're recording into the piano's memory, you're not really worried about it being the absolute highest quality, although I imagine it will be quite usable.

Thing is Rich, if it doesn't work or picks up crap or overloads the mic input OP has spent out for a now useless PSU, and possibly adapters he now does not need. A modest mixer WILL work I am very sure.

He came here for advice. He has a very decent keyboard and microphone why not stay with a 'proper' system and not chance a kludge?

Dave.

Alternately, he could probably just buy a low cost dynamic. The ultimate answer will probably be based on end goal and budget. Several ways to skin the cat, as they say.

Agree. I think there are soe making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

In the end, if OP wants to make it as simple as possible, he can just get a dynamic mike and save the NT1a for future use.

Agree. I think there are soe making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

In the end, if OP wants to make it as simple as possible, he can just get a dynamic mike and save the NT1a for future use.

MORE expense! For a probably inferior sounding mic! Plus he will likely need a 'balun' transformer. Ok, not that expensive but yet another one trick pony that adds nothing more to his system.

There is "simple" and then there is a chancey, inflexible bodge. Buy the right gear, buy it once.

If the chap had asked, "I have this kbd with a microphone jack on it. Please suggest a microphone" I would have agreed, get an SM58 or similar. But, he didn't he already has the Rode. (" keep the NT1a for later" What, into a mixer?!)

Dave.

I've got a Yammy arranger keyboard. It has a MIC input for recording. I also have a RODE NT1 old gray version (not the NT1a), a Behringer PS400 phantom power supply, and an XLR to 1/4" (6,3mm) TS cable, so I hooked this all up last night into the 'MIC/LINE' input of the keyboard. The selection switch for 'MIC/LINE' I left in the MIC position. On this keyboard the MIC input goes pretty much straight away into the first stage of gain (NE5532 OpAmp) with some filtering, but no means to attenuate the signal. The output of the first stage goes to a 'Volume' control prior to going to the second stage of gain (another NE5532). The RODE NT1 is about 20dB hotter than a dynamic mic I would normally use into the keyboard. The RODE NT1a is about 3dB hotter on the output than my NT1. The keyboard has some effects and other processing which I left off, including a noise gate.

Listening with headphones, I spoke at different distances into the NT1. Close up the proximity effect was noticeable and it appeared that the audio was slightly distorted which I would believe was the first gain stage being overloaded by the hot signal. I backed off the mic to about 12" and the distortion subsided, however the room sounds were more evident. I didn't try any recording and the gain setting ('Volume' control) might be able to be set lower to reduce the room sound and keep a good recording level.

In summary, if the OP's DGX660 has a similarly designed MIC input as my Yammy keyboard has, he/she 'might' be able to use the NT1a with the PS400 phantom power if careful about distance to the mic and loudness of singing, otherwise the recording may result in some distortion. An option might be an inline XLR attentuator to knock some of the signal down going into the keyboard, but that's another added expense.

The idea of a mixer could work into the DGX660 'AUX IN', but then the keyboards vocal effects such as reverb are not available using that as an input. Also the mixer purchased needs to be capable of 24-48vdc for phantom for the NT1a, which some budget mixers may only provide 15-18v.

My keyboard and the DGX660 records to a stereo WAV file, so what you record is what you get and no way to mix/adjust the vocal in relationship to the music. The mic inputs of the Yammy keyboards were designed for use with dynamic mics which have a lower sensitivity. I'm inclined to suggest a decent dynamic mic for creating 'live' recordings with the DGX660's vocal effects available and keep the NT1a with the thought of getting a USB interface in the future that can record and track four inputs (one for the NT1a and two for the stereo of the DGX660) into a DAW to create a more polished recording.
I recently got an AKG D5 which runs about $100 and has a crisper output than an SM57.. AKG D5 Supercardioid Dynamic Handheld Vocal Microphone | Sweetwater
EV's Cobalt C09 is also pretty decent for the money.. Electro-Voice Co9 Cobalt Premium Vocal Microphone | Guitar Center

New Question

Out of curiosity, is there a cheaper mic that would have decent quality and that would not require additional power? I can still return the Nt1A up until February 23 so if there is a cheaper option that could just be plugged into the mic input, I think I would prefer that.

Keeping in mind I'm completely new to this and pretty ignorant on the subject as a whole.

There are lots of standard vocal mics. Shure SM57 and 58, Shure Beta 58, AKG D5. I'm partial to the Sennheiser e835 and 935 for vocals. All are good mics, they just have different tonal characteristics. The SM57, 58, D5 and e835 all will run $100 or less. The Beta 58 is about $150, the e935 about $180.
DON'T consider the Blue Encore 200, as it requires phantom power, even though it's a dynamic.

Yes....what TalismanRich has said. Can't go wrong with any of those choices really. I've been using the Sennheiser e935 for years now....and I know it's not cheap...but it's an excellent vocal mic. As well......the e835 is also excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Mick

While the SM57/58 could work, the preamps in these keyboards tend push some noise with a mic that has a low output with the gain/volume pushed up on the keyboard and adapting a 'balanced' mic to an 'unbalanced' connection into the keyboard loses a bit more signal. A mic with a neodymium magnet in the capsule will generally yield a bit more output than one with a 'standard' magnet.

EV ND767a (new version is ND76), EV PL80a, Sennheiser e935, Miktek PM9, AKG D5, and EV Cobalt C09 are a few dynamics I have that I would recommend.

Also be sure to use a proper cable that takes the 'balanced' output connection of the mic and adapts it to the 'unbalanced' input of the keyboard. It would be an XLR to 1/4"(6,3mm) TS type cable such as this one.......
Amazon.com: Hosa PXF-105 XLR3F to 1/4" TS Unbalanced Interconnect Cable, 5 Feet: Musical Instruments

Back