New to computer recording. needing some opinions.

rottedham

hi, i've previously been using a fostex mr-8 to record my stuff but it's become a real hassle moving all the tracks over to my PC when the flash card runs out of space, and to edit everything. I plan on buying a new computer soon because mine is ancient (550 MHz 312MB RAM.) I am wondering how much RAM you would recommend for a complete desktop recording "studio?"

i am also trying to decide whether i should get a Lexicon Omega Studio or a Digidesign mbox. I have a friend who has an mbox and he says the quality isn't really that good but i've never heard anything that has been recorded with it. I've also heard a lot of hype about the omega studio, in magazines. The Omega studio seems to be really good from what i've read, but the Mbox comes with protools LE and a lot of other stuff. if any of you have used either one of these systems, i'd appreciate it if you gave me some pros and cons of them. i'm on a pretty tight budget so it seems that these are the only two products i can really afford once i get a new computer. thanks in advance for the replies.

-Chris

im new at this, but im pretty sure ur gonna wanna be running atleast 512, 256 will work i think but to be safe get atleast 512... i have 512 and i run pro tools LE with my mbox and dont have any probs... im sure one of the more experienced people would be more helpful though... i love my mbox and for the price i think the qaulity's awesome maybe your friend was just doign something wrong and was getting bad results... heres something i recorded with mbox...

I use a Tascam US-122 USB interface and Tracktion software. There ARE other alternatives besides M-Box + Omega Studio that will fit your budget...

Here's the Tascam:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TASUS122

And here's Tracktion:

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/

Traction has a downloadable demo that will run on your current machine and let you decide if it's right for you before plunking down your whole $80 to buy it online.

And the other reply is right in saying that you will need at least 512 megs. Memory is one of the things that's continued to decline in price over the years - I remember when a Meg of memory for my Atari STe cost $250!

Just a thought - have you considered a bigger Flash Card if you're already up and rolling with the Fostex?

thanks a lot for the posts guys..

ssscientist,
i think i will give tracktion a try and i like the tascam interface. i another question though... if i wanted to mic up a drum set could i get a mixer and hook it up to the tascam to record more than just 2 microphones at once? also, how is the quality of the recordings? do you have anything that i could listen to just to see how the recording sounds? the price looks really good too.

about the fostex: i could upgrade the flash card but compact flash is really expensive and it's also just too much of a hassle to use. the editing on the actual machine is very minimal so i have to move everything to my computer to edit it... the quality also isn't that great either.

thanks,
chris

ntn.. the quality actually is really good.. i just listened to your song. i am leaning more toward the mbox more than anything right now but we'll see.. i still have to buy a new computer first.

Back