New Tascam 246 owner general questions

hexade

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Looks like a great resource for all things recording, which is great for a newb like myself. I just picked up my first 4 track recorder, a Tascam 246. So far it seems to have been the perfect choice for what I want to do. I have a couple of questions about it and 4 track cassette recorders in general to help me sort of "inspect" the unit to make sure it's in as good of shape as the seller advertised. It seems to work well. I have tested recording on a couple tracks and bouncing tracks, all lights and meters work, the tape counter is nice and bright and works well. The pinch roller and other rubber parts were replaced and the unit sounds pretty damn good. Here are my questions though, to decide whether a pro tune up will be needed before I start using it a lot:

1.) For those who have experience with these units, how much operating noise is normal when the unit is just powered on? Mine is silent until I put a tape into the well, and at that point a quiet but audible whirring sound is audible, the speed of which changes when the pitch control knob is adjusted. I had to return a 244 once because of this, but on that unit it was LOUD and squeaky. this one just sounds like a quiet-ish spinning. Should it be pretty much silent or is this normal? I'm hoping this isn't trouble on the horizon, but if it is, any ideas about what the issue could be?

2.) The "zero return" function stops at 9999, rather than 0000. This has been the case on many 4-track tape recorders I have used, but that doesn't mean it's normal! So, is this normal or does this indicate something needs to be calibrated/aligned?

3.) When I push "play" or other functions related to the cassette mechanisms (transport?), there is an audible kind of "vvvv" sound when the head moves to make contact with the tape. How much mechanical noise is normal when playing/stopping etc. I'm wondering if soemthing needs to be lubricated or cleaned.

4.) I think the heads are in pretty good shape, but there is a little dust in the well, so what would be the best way to clean this area? Are those cassette-tape head cleaners any good? Is there any difference between official "head cleaner" that costs around $20 and a bottle of 91% or better isopropyl alcohol?

5.) The tape counter display face is pretty scuffed up. Not enough to where it makes it super difficult to read, but it'd be nice if there was a way to buff/recondition the surface so it was shiny and clear again. Any tips? will PlastX damage this?

6.) In general what do you guys use to clean and maintain the various areas of the unit? Is regular contact cleaner good for the jacks? What about pots? How often do you perform these maintenance tasks?

7.) Any other things I should inspect or listen for to determine whether it'd be prudent to bring this to a tech to look at? I'd like to be able to learn how to do basic maintenance and diagnosis for myself to avoid having to pay $75/hr to have my local tech do this kind of thing, but I will if necessary.

I think that covers pretty much everything, and I hope the length of this post isn't discouraging. If this needs to be moved to the Tascam forum, I apologize. I'd like to try and assemble as much information about the proper function and maintenance of this specific unit as possible. Thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to help out!

Hey Hexade!
I know nothing about the Tascam but just thought I'd welcome you to the forums.

If you don't get any bites in here let me know and I'll move the post over to the analog section.
Those guys know a lot, but they don't get out much. ;)

Back