new stuff..

David

Wanted this to go on the new h/r cd but it still has issues. Just got through tracking yesterday and should of waited a while..but here's what I got so far. http://www.nowhereradio.com/david/singles

Last song on the page " Second chance" I can't get outta the 80's seen..so forgive me:D Thanks.

Decent song musically. Strong singing voice. Very powerfull and resonant. I liked the tone on the rhythm guit. Some of the lead guit stuff was real good. Nice sound and good playing. Liked the doubled guitars (I always do :)). Good power to most everything in fact.

Some timing problems (e.g., :03, :15, 4:02). Something's up with the drum pattern - there's something weird with the kick.

While I'd say that most of the lead guit sounded good, some of that in the lead break begining around 2:15 was a little abrasive sounding in spots. Very good playing though.

For some reason, the harmonies aren't blending like I think they could. I wonder if you tracked them by approaching the mic at a slight angle instead of straight on. They're just not quite subtle enough. However there's one passage that sounds good (e.g., 3:10-3:13). Those blend very well.

Good song. Trip.

Hey David,
Cool tune man. 80's :D ...yeah man, youve got 'em covered w/ this one. Throw some synth in this and it would ring of the outfield, etc. Nice tune. Very nice lead vocs..... Youve got a great voice! When the tune first started the drums hit me as a little wierd verb-wise.... like a touch to much room to blend in w/ the rest of the instuments. It seemed to settle in more as i listened on though, so take that for what its worth. Nice work D...
g

I like your music ( I'm still gonna put something on that other tune, I'm just playing 6 nites a week right now).
You have a great voice for this kind of stuff and your guitar playing is excellent! Good stuff.
That being said.......TripleM had it right about the timing. There's definitely something not right about the drum pattern and I also hear it as being connected to the kick. It's just off in some sort of wierd way.
Also, there are a few pitch issues with the vox.
Good song and I especially liked those ganged harmonies you used in places....very cool.

Trip'
Mike'
Steve, thanks for your ears. I'm pretty damn embarrassed about now:D , I should of paid more attention to the drums..i always do that shit:D . Anyway's, my bud is coming back Sunday to retrack the drums, and i'll try and do some punch in's on the vox in spots. Thanks a million guy's!

Stellar mix. The lead was perfectly placed, everything sat really well.

Great rock tune!

Nice man, another genre nailer.

I could hear this as some 80's b side for sure.

I would say the riffs are kinda typical but that's exactly the point I bet. Too bad there's no one making 80's movies today this would go perfect.
I can see some guy in an alligator shirt working on his old beater car for the big race to beat some richkid and get his dream girl.

Cool

Dough H, thanks for the words man, means a lot.

jake-owa,
I would say the riffs are kinda typical but that's exactly the point I bet.

Sorta, but it was a "best" effort from me at the time:D . Haha, yeah the movie thing, I can see it now:D . Thanks for the listen fella.

Cool tune David.I was wating for "The Outfield" to come in singing "Josies on a vacation far away" at the beginning.LMAO!;)

I like the guitar riff and the background vocal stuff is strong during the chorus.....the octave vocal stuff is a nice touch.......the lead guitar tone is killer.....your doing some nice stuff on the rhythm guitar during the solo.....man,that solo is killer.Thats a Rock and Roll solo!

I like the lead vocals as always.You have a very identifiable(sp?)voice.
You've probably told me before,but what mic do you use for your lead vocals?Do you ever dabble with doubling vocals?Your voice sounds strong without it....just wondering if what Im hearing for the most part is a single vocal.....it sounds like it...sounds good!

Nice job David!You have SOLVED the problem with the clipping you were having awhile back!I cranked this and it sounds great blasting in my face.

Stars*****

your vocals are what can take you to hitsville....80's sound or not.

Staying away from sounding like a "Bad Company", you'll do great by keeping it original enuff;)

I like all your tunes......it's the singing, man.

Kramer said:
Cool tune David.I was wating for "The Outfield" to come in singing "Josies on a vacation far away" at the beginning.LMAO!;)

I like the guitar riff and the background vocal stuff is strong during the chorus.....the octave vocal stuff is a nice touch.......the lead guitar tone is killer.....your doing some nice stuff on the rhythm guitar during the solo.....man,that solo is killer.Thats a Rock and Roll solo!

I like the lead vocals as always.You have a very identifiable(sp?)voice.
You've probably told me before,but what mic do you use for your lead vocals?Do you ever dabble with doubling vocals?Your voice sounds strong without it....just wondering if what Im hearing for the most part is a single vocal.....it sounds like it...sounds good!

Nice job David!You have SOLVED the problem with the clipping you were having awhile back!I cranked this and it sounds great blasting in my face.

Stars*****

Yeah, i probably wrote this after i heard the outfield song LOL! I have no idea at this point:D Really:) . I've recorded it several diffrent times over the years though..none of them the same:D
You've probably told me before,but what mic do you use for your lead vocals?

AT40/50..use it on most everything, along with 57's...that's pretty much it though.

what Im hearing for the most part is a single vocal

Yeah, and thanks..but I wished i was talented enough to double the leads like you do, you're the master around here imo. Thanks bro!

mixmkr said:

Staying away from sounding like a "Bad Company", you'll do great by keeping it original enuff;)

I like all your tunes......it's the singing, man.

Yep, that's the truth anyway you wanna slice it. Thanks mix.

Sounds really good. To complete the eighties sound I'm thinking gated verb on the drums. The drums could be more explosive sounding. Guitar sounds great.

Maybe some vocal harmonies in the later verses (as opposed to just choruses) would be a nice touch.

remix is up..

MBrane,
All I need...is a stinkin' groove.
:D Yeah i know.

I took out the opening kick on it, it's better but i'm gonna have to retrack the drums. Thanks Brane!

fprod south,
To complete the eighties sound I'm thinking gated verb on the drums.

I stuck a cheapass alesis on the drums this time with a gated verb:) i dunno know if they're any better though. Also I worked the b/g vocals a bit more and added a thing or two, but i like what you said about adding harmonies in the later verses..i'm thinking hard on that one. Thanks for the review.

Hey David: You're damned good. Yeah, kinda' dated, I guess...maybe.

That ground hum mostly on the left is pretty loud.

I liked the guitar work and the harmony work the best.

I'll bet you're great, live.

Later.

David,

What a hip vocal track! Sounds effortless! (A few teeny intonation probs, but nothing to seriously fret over.) Liked the lower octave doubling alot.

Vox crescendo, bass entrance @ :48 and rhythm guitar @ :50 rumbled my gut! Creates a powerful build and effective transition to the bridge!

I can't, however, seem to get used the anticipated 4th beat @ :18 or @ :34.
Seems as if you may have jumped the gun esp @:18.

Lead solo is clean and rockin'.......sorta reminds me of how Leslie West would have played it had he the chance to rip one on this tune. (Major compliment btw as I love his feel!)

Bluesy vocal ad lib on the outro is the balls!

Really nice job!
Ralph

I like the remix. It made me notice though that the kick might be a little loud. I thought you might have added too much gated verb on the kick, but listening to the first version it sounds like the kick might have been loud already.

But then again, you're retracking the drums....good stuff!

RETRO BABY, I love the sound! It really is my era. Aside from the timing isuue it's all good. Did you have the drummer sit in with previuos tracks on this song? What guit. are you playing, it 's a great rock tone?

Good stuff as always!

Joe

Back