new song: The Cage

zed32

Re-Attached Member
this is a rough, rough mix of a song i just made. it's non-cookie-monster-metal music. been up all night doing the tracking, and i couldn't sleep til i had something mixed and generically mastered to listen to. i still need to do a lot of edits and noise gating and fades and maybe some automation too...i know i'm gonna listen to this after i get some sleep and totally slap myself for posting it. anyway here it is...

The Cage: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10191

gonna re-track the bass for sure, and go back and fix some of the pitch problems in the vox...my voice died after attempting so many takes haha. the acoustic part isn't very metal, but i decided to keep it anyway cuz i thought the drums sounded kinda cool.

oh and i almost forgot, theres a HUGE piece of empty space in the middle of the song, that's where my guitar leads are supposed to go...but i couldn't come up with anything good yet, haha. i'll fill it in later.

thanks Dogman and Nicole for listening. i'm working on it a bit right now, but its almost time to get my grub on. still gotta re-do some parts of the vox, man what was i thinking keeping some of those takes! :eek: but i tweaked the sound of the verse vocals, lowered the guitars a little bit, then turned down the squish on the master among other things. still need to do some fine tuning here and there...

this is basically just a bump. ;)

The Cage: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10197

I wrote a song called the cage - sound svery different to this! But this I like, look forward to the finished article.

Sounding really good and bound to get a lot better as you fine tune the parts. The double bass parts sure give it a killer drive and you have some wicked sounding guitar riffs happening..

Sounds awesome. Although, the vocals sound weak in certain parts.

Definitely potential.

yeah...i think i'm just gonna re-track vox for the entire thing when it's not 3AM haha. my voice was practically dead when i started tracking anyway, and on some of the later takes i was struggling. :o

thanks for listening everyone, and thanks for the compliments and stuff. :cool:

I liked the higer fidelity on lightningmp3 but it was loud :eek:

The vocals tone and effects are excellent. Sure, there are parts of the vox which could use a retrack or even *gasp* autotune.... but all in all it's a very ambitious song vocally so tracking it might take a few tries ;) Delivery overall is very high quality. Vox are as good as anything we're getting on the rock stations IMHO....

Don't have any issues with the mix but it is loud...

AFAIK the music is done, no problems there.

i agree with Ido. you're getting closer. the music is really well done, and the vox just need some finesse in them :)

you're doing well Zed :)

The music is sounding good on the song, the delay on the lead vocal either needs a bit less level or the delay itself needs to be just a bit shorter-like maybe less than 10 milliseconds shorter. It seems so be stepping on the Lead vocal as it is-the level was not as high on the first mix and it still sounds better.

The music is sounding good on the song, the delay on the lead vocal either needs a bit less level or the delay itself needs to be just a bit shorter-like maybe less than 10 milliseconds shorter. It seems so be stepping on the Lead vocal as it is-the level was not as high on the first mix and it still sounds better.

yeah i think you're right. in the last version, i'm using a much dirtier compressor (almost distortion) on the verse vocals plus i added more delay to try and smooth it out and make it less lame sounding. basically i figured that by drowning it in delay i could cover up the mistakes haha, but i'll turn it down a bit on my next revision. or i could automate the delay a bit more so that it doesn't step on certain parts. thanks dude.

Dude, the song is pretty cool. :)

The playing is very very cool. The composition? Hats off!

Nice melodies in the chorus. The guitar playing for the rhythms is pretty cool. Sounds hard to play :).

I'm always trying to play and compose similar sound stuff and it never works. It turns out pretty standard to "adult contemporary" rock but not metalish. I guess I should practice for the metal genre but lack the time and the motivation. :)

Back to your stuff, very good. Recommend raising the vox by 3-4dbs and lowering drums track by 1-2 dbs to get that stuffed commercial sound you'll hear on label records.

thanks bigbubba. :cool:

ok here's a quick update. i finally filled the empty space in the middle with a pair of totally uninspired and emotionless guitar leads. still need to work a bit on the levels and EQ for the guitar lead section. tried to get rid of some of the pumping on the master and put a little bit of reverb on the master as well. now that i listen to it, i want to turn the hi-hats down...argh. it's never gonna be done. anyway, i'm going to bed now, so here:

256k MP3: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10250

Soundclick stream: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6003291&q=hi

Back