new song - please comment on mix

sandwiches

hi guys, haven't done this for a long time, but would really like some opinions about this mix at the moment.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1509&alid=-1
(How Do I Make You Love Me?)

it's a pop rock song - not my usual style, very poppy, and upbeat, but i'm really into it and i'm not finished yet.

some things i would like to know...

- what is your opinions on the vocals? how can i improve them?
- what about the lead guitars? do they fit in?
- is the shredding solo tight? i'm not a very good guitarist, and that seems to be the best i can come up with, but i would really like that in the song becuase it throws the listener off.

thanks anybody who listens to it and/or inputs.

I think the vocals are quirky but unique so that's a good thing. The sound quality is good IMO, so really it's just a stylistic preference. Having gone to music school I'm sure my teachers would have a lot to say but not much of that seems to apply to pop music. Seems to me the vocals don't really blend into the mix like the guitars do, although they certainly fit the song well.

The end of the guitar solo seems a little hap-hazard. Again, this is a stylistic preference. I don't want to tell you how to write your music.

Either way, you are certainly better at this than I am.

Hi

Very good song. Your vocals are excellent; There's a bit of "Cure" touch them and I like that. Some transitions are questionable but I guess it's a matter of taste.

Nice work!

/Jack Real

ok maybe i'm listening to it too much, but i just had this feeling the vocals were out of tune a bit. do u guys think maybe i should do some more effects or put an extra layer on it?

The vocals are great - the pitch is good. I heard a lot of sibilance in the vocal track that you might want to try and reduce.

The shred solo tone doesn't seem to suit the song. The solo is good though. It's metal versus pop. That's just my opinion, and I'm not sure what I would out in it's place. Just something more pop-ish...

The change in tempo is a good idea. It really brings my attention back to the song - I was just bopping along before that. The vocals are very appealing on the slower part - nice melody lines...

:):D:):D

The vocals are great - the pitch is good. I heard a lot of sibilance in the vocal track that you might want to try and reduce.

The shred solo tone doesn't seem to suit the song. The solo is good though. It's metal versus pop. That's just my opinion, and I'm not sure what I would out in it's place. Just something more pop-ish...

The change in tempo is a good idea. It really brings my attention back to the song - I was just bopping along before that. The vocals are very appealing on the slower part - nice melody lines...

:):D:):D

oh wow, thanks very much for your comments.

yeah, the shred solo i wasn't quite sure about at first... it was just a joke at the start, but i think from everyone's reaction, i think i like it there now. just because it's kind of like a detour in the song... something that kind of jots your focus a bit, before i go back to being poppy again.

The fake drums don't do this justice. And tiny rhythmic imperfections mar this otherwise gorgeous song.

I like your voice and your delivery. Ditto on the Cure stylings.

I think the shred solo works.

Bass could be a little more prominent after the solo.

LOVE the break at 2:40.

More please.

The fake drums don't do this justice. And tiny rhythmic imperfections mar this otherwise gorgeous song.

I like your voice and your delivery. Ditto on the Cure stylings.

I think the shred solo works.

Bass could be a little more prominent after the solo.

LOVE the break at 2:40.

More please.

thanks supercreep...

the only thing is, i don't have access to a drummer or real drums... im stuck with using fake drums. however, im not a drummer, but is there anything u feel i could do, to make the drumming sound better?

like add reverb? or more fills?

personally i thought the drumming did the job, except for the starting drumroll... which sounds really fake.

thanks supercreep...

the only thing is, i don't have access to a drummer or real drums... im stuck with using fake drums. however, im not a drummer, but is there anything u feel i could do, to make the drumming sound better?

like add reverb? or more fills?

personally i thought the drumming did the job, except for the starting drumroll... which sounds really fake.

Use a better drum machine.

Or use a program like DKFHS.

Okay, here I go!!!

It's really cool. But, ... the mids and bass are cloudy, muddy, whatever you want to call it. Dr. White would do well to chime in here: I can't tell whether it's a question of EQ or panning, but things get just a bit too muddy in the low end.

I thought the drums were great, except they are too far in the background.

On further listening....

Keep in mind that I'm answering your request for critiques.... and, THAT I'M JUST AN OLD FART!

As I listen to this more, I agree that the drums in the early part of the song sound waaaaaaay too programed (as if I'm not guilty of that?!).

When the tempo changes, the drums sound great. But, there is still that lack of definition in the mids and lows that goofs stuff up. I want to hear each instrument in a particular spacial realm (wow, that sounds deep).

Great composition! Great panning (which I have loved for a long time)! Nice vocal definition and effects!

Keep on KEEPIN' ON!!!!!! Monkey with this and make it great!

Vocals sound real good. I think they sit real well in this. Very original sound/composition (to me at least). I like how you hit the high note on "stars" that caught my attention right away. Bass booms a little bit on my monitors but it's not severe. Guitars sound nice and mellow. Very cool man, real nice work.

Take care

Gary

Hi guys

thanks so much for the feedback. I've done a new mix of this song based on the feedback.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=249010

I started a new thread because I didnt want new listeners to be biased by previous comments. I'm in the final mixing stage of the song now - so yeah, if you guys can help me again and tell me what you think of the mix, that would be lovely.

Cheers.

It's really cool. But, ... the mids and bass are cloudy, muddy, whatever you want to call it. Dr. White would do well to chime in here: I can't tell whether it's a question of EQ or panning, but things get just a bit too muddy in the low end.

I thought the drums were great, except they are too far in the background.

I tend to agree...

I personally feel like the bass needs to be more centered and perhaps volume lowered down a bit... but that's just me...

Otherwise, cool song and great performance... I even liked the drums... :)

Back