New Song (Original)

Vocals are a little pitchy.
The fuzzed guitar needs to be dropped a little sooner.
the cacophony of the solo is OK but I actually liked the further back one.
Lyrically a bit odd.
Reminds me of Lou Reed Circa Sally Can't Dance - ennui abounds.

The low volume distorted guitar during the verses coudl be dropped, it's just noise in the background.
The left side electric in the verses is competing with the vocal for dominance, drop it back a little in volume, or EQ a little high out of it.
When the two fuzzed guitars start the lead part, they are competing with each other, consider just using one.
Definitely a Lou Reed sound.

Listening to the mix in the OP (9/1 maybe?)...

I think this all works together very well. Great guitars. I like the fuzz tone too. I think the ride cymbal is just a touch too loud, made more apparent since it's so unchanging through the whole song. Vocals might benefit from another few tries just to reel in a few more of the pitch misses. I wouldn't sanitize the vocals completely because the loose feel and loose pitch work for the Lou Reed feel of it.

Nice job man, this is a good song.

Listening to the mix in the OP (9/1 maybe?)...

I think this all works together very well. Great guitars. I like the fuzz tone too. I think the ride cymbal is just a touch too loud, made more apparent since it's so unchanging through the whole song. Vocals might benefit from another few tries just to reel in a few more of the pitch misses. I wouldn't sanitize the vocals completely because the loose feel and loose pitch work for the Lou Reed feel of it.

Nice job man, this is a good song.

Thanks Tad, and thanks mjbphotos, too.

Yeah the fuzz is essential to the style, so I need to keep it, but I do agree with those who noted the first fuzz chord that comes in is too loud. I never know if I should attack things like that with compression or automation.

Originally I pitch corrected a handful of notes but then decided to let them go. I've been trying not to use any editing or pitch correction and just letting it all hang out there. It feels good in a way. Probably like being fat and going to a nude beach. But I might redo the vocal a few times to see if I can do better. The thing is, I don't think I can. I'm clearly not a singer and just doing the best I can to present songs.

I think this is the first song of yours that I heard. I confess it wasn't what I expected, so it caught me off guard and forced to me listen with intent. I enjoyed the song. Somebody mentioned the Lou Reed influence, and I agree, but there is something else. The intro kinda reminded me of the Beatles and the song overall had a Pink Floyd Mettle album vibe.

You got a lot of good comments already. I'll add my two cents about th fizzy guitar, I don't see how it is essential to the song. You can mute it and the song still fits in the same style. To me, it is a distraction.

But if you're keen on keeping it, you probably shouldn't use much or any compression on it. An extremely distorted guitar is highly compressed by the distortion process. If you want to change levels, you can do so with automation.

Good tune, man. I'll be paying attention to more of your stuff in the future.

This reminds me of The Band, Smashing Pumpkins, and Lou Reed all in one song. I love the descending thing that repeats at the beginning. I'd like to hear that somewhere at the end too. The mix sounds great to me. I can't hear anything I'd change about it.

This reminds me of The Band, Smashing Pumpkins, and Lou Reed all in one song. I love the descending thing that repeats at the beginning. I'd like to hear that somewhere at the end too.

Hey thanks paulman! I love the pumpkins and velvet underground (not a fan of lou reed solo) so that's great. They're subconscious influences for sure, though I didn't think of anything like that when making it. I don't hear The Band at all -- which section reminds you of that?

The descending line does repeat throughout the song, but it's moved to the bass and slightly altered. It was supposed to be in the 1:15 mark, originally (that's how the demo is), but it seemed busy. I can try putting it back in there. You think it would fit there without being too busy?

--------

I confess it wasn't what I expected I enjoyed the song. Pink Floyd Mettle album vibe.

What did you expect Chill?

That's interesting because Meddle is my favorite PF album, especially Fearless.

Hey thanks paulman! I love the pumpkins and velvet underground (not a fan of lou reed solo) so that's great. They're subconscious influences for sure, though I didn't think of anything like that when making it. I don't hear The Band at all -- which section reminds you of that?

The descending line does repeat throughout the song, but it's moved to the bass and slightly altered. It was supposed to be in the 1:15 mark, originally (that's how the demo is), but it seemed busy. I can try putting it back in there. You think it would fit there without being too busy?

The descending line is what reminds me of The Band. I still hear it a couple of times around 1:15, along with the Mellotron-ish melody. If this were my song, that part would be the rug that ties the room together. It sounds important, anthemic. For a part like that to start the song and then slowly be forgotten about just doesn't seem right. I would build on it every time it comes back in, maybe have those wandering guitars come together in harmony with it at the end or something. Especially if the guitars get REALLY dissonant leading into that; the consonant, anthemic quality of the descending line would have even more impact that way. Maybe you don't want it as big as that, but that's just what comes to mind right now. The possibilities are endless. The main takeaway from this is that you have a good hook. Use it.

Soundtrack Song

wow, this is so soft and quiet compared to everything else i'm listening to today,
i had to jack up my playback more than 2 times the normal setting,
obviously this has not been mastered or processed beyond the mix stage...

dig the guitar sounds at the opening....
sounds like there is a distorted guitar rhythm in the background, but it's mixed so low as to hardly be a part of the mix...

vocal reminds me a bit of lou reed..

the lyric seems overly simple, with the rhyming words almost too obvious,
you could do a lot more with the lyric here.

i like the instrumental section, the sound of it..
but it's just the same chord changes over and over and over.
at that section, at least modulate to a new key,
that would lift the ending up where it ought to be.

Ah shit, was looking forward to giving this one a proper listen. Nevermind. You got a backlog from your cabin recording sessions Nola?

Ah shit, was looking forward to giving this one a proper listen. Nevermind. You got a backlog from your cabin recording sessions Nola?

Hi Rob. Yeah I'm back. Sorry I didn't realize the link had expired. I refreshed the link. I haven't had a chance yet to update the mix after all the feedback, so if you hear anything let me know!

lol nola is like fat_fleet in that you can barely get a listen in before they've deleted the damn recording.

Back