New Song (Original)

Nola

Hey guys, can you tell me what you think of the mix and arrangement? Any glaring issues?
The hardest part to mix was the outro mayhem, so if you can let me know on the levels there.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sounds good Nola. You have a very distinctive style of writing and singing. I like the guitar outro. Getting more variation in the drum parts, fills, etc. would take you to the next level.

Really cool song, love the flute. Since you asked for arrangement thoughts, I will say there's a lot of guitar here and, although each individual part is tasteful, I almost wonder if the mix would open up a little more if you lowered or removed a couple specific guitar parts.. for example the low rumbly distorted guitar that runs underneath in the portion of the song before the duelling solos.. and also the strummy acoustic (could be brought down after it leads the song in), and keep those clean panned leads (which sound great), I also think there's a little tension at the end caused by you wanting to go a little off the rails and that metronomic drum part holding you back. I agree with Robus that some very creative drum programming around there could give you that majestic mess you hopefully envision. This is of course all subjective and ultimately depends on what you're going for, but it has tons of character already.

Thanks, Robus! Did you mean fills in the ending or throughout? I did program some into the early section, though upon re-listen they're a little low. The ending can definitely use some fills.

Thanks Fat Fleet! Really appreciate that detailed feedback and kind words. I did automatic the acoustic from -1db down to -4db in that mix so I heard that as well and tried to thin it out, but you still think lower? I even EQ'd it aggressively with a high pass at 300hz to cut mud. Do you think it's the bass that's too boomy? The kick/bass is always hardest (i mix on headphones).

Ok, second time through here. I was outside smoking a cig and saw this come up and listened to it outside in the dark on my phone. I'm now inside listening on my tracking phones.

Already on the third time through in the time it took me to type that...

I like it a lot. It's a lot more involved and complex than previous offerings, but not like too much, you know?

Arrangement-wise, it's good. Love the mellotronish flute. I always dig that sound. Intro is great. You almost lost me in the middle when you started to repeat phrases and changes weren't forthcoming, but then the feedback, and the outro...ahhh. Nice. How do you generate feedback in that apartment of yours? Do you just crank it and neighbors be damned? I'm too afraid playing that loud even in a house.

The dueling leads at the end are somewhat discordant, but it sounds intentional, so it works in that context.

I love the lyrics. You do what I attempt to do, which is sing plainly but earnestly about seemingly everyday things, but in a way that seems more meaningful beneath the surface. Maybe it's your singing, but it sounds like you really mean what you're saying, even if I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say.

Mix-wise, I was sorely disappointed in the lack of reverb. I expected this to be drenched, but it's practically bone dry by my standards. Sounds good though, if a bit dark overall. Bass is pulsing pretty strongly way down there, but it's probably cool. Just watch out on some systems.

Just in general. This song and the last, it sounded like the drums were a loop. Maybe just a little more variation to set off one part of the song from the next, some fills to give excitement to the transitions. The variation can as simple as, say, closed hats in one part, slightly open in the next. That said, programming convincing drum parts is difficult. Personally, I suck at it. You're better off with a simple part that keeps solid time than a complex part that you can't quite pull off.

Ok, second time through here. I was outside smoking a cig and saw this come up and listened to it outside in the dark on my phone. I'm now inside listening on my tracking phones.

Already on the third time through in the time it took me to type that...

I like it a lot. It's a lot more involved and complex than previous offerings, but not like too much, you know?

Arrangement-wise, it's good. Love the mellotronish flute. I always dig that sound. Intro is great. You almost lost me in the middle when you started to repeat phrases and changes weren't forthcoming, but then the feedback, and the outro...ahhh. Nice. How do you generate feedback in that apartment of yours? Do you just crank it and neighbors be damned? I'm too afraid playing that loud even in a house.

The dueling leads at the end are somewhat discordant, but it sounds intentional, so it works in that context.

I love the lyrics. You do what I attempt to do, which is sing plainly but earnestly about seemingly everyday things, but in a way that seems more meaningful beneath the surface. Maybe it's your singing, but it sounds like you really mean what you're saying, even if I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say.

Mix-wise, I was sorely disappointed in the lack of reverb. I expected this to be drenched, but it's practically bone dry by my standards. Sounds good though, if a bit dark overall. Bass is pulsing pretty strongly way down there, but it's probably cool. Just watch out on some systems.

Thanks, Heat! I used reverb on the vocal. -8db!

The drums have a little, too. I'm becoming a junkie. Next thing you'll know I'll be Roy Orbison.

To get the feedback...well...I have a Grestch semi-hollow/chambered guitar, and it just wants to feedback nonstop. Like you plug it in with a distortion pedal and if the amp is above 3 it will start to squeal. I kind of love it and decided to incorporate it into the style. Regarding neighbors and volume, these guitars were all done at my gf's family's remote cabin. It's far away so I can't go there often, unfortunately.

I appreciate you listening and glad you enjoyed it.

Cool. I'll take your word for it on the verb :). Just to piggyback on the whole drum thing...

Those guys are right. I don't know your setup and I've never programmed drums before per se, but listening through the first couple of times, I didn't even notice the fills you added. I listened again for them specifically, and they're there, and they're fine, but just too quick and subtle to be effective imo. Especially on a casual listen.

If you could just draw them out more...start sooner, you know? Enough to break the metronome-like pace of that snare. They don't have to be big time, grandiose arena rock fills (in fact, they absolutely shouldn't be!), just have them begin earlier and force the snare to play off beat for a bit. It will add tension and release I think. It's a great tune, but the drums could bring so much more life to it, especially at the end there, and maybe at a few key points throughout the track. Don't overdo it though, or it sounds forced.

There's a noise that comes in at .12 that sounds like someone blowing a quiet rasberry, then it goes away when the vocal comes in. The little distorted guitar that comes in occasionally is a good idea, but the tone is a bit too distorted imo and sounds thin & indistinct. Good song though. Your vocal sounds uncannily like Lou Reed

Wow! Someone else said it. Lou Reed.

Thats what I was thinking when I heard it. Also it had a lou Reed vibe in the song as well, not just the vocal.

Overall I like it.

Everything sounds pretty good, but the drums sound like an after thought almost. Like all your energy and thought went into the guitars.

Soundwise the drums sound like 60s drums but with modern guitars. Like you time traveled a drummer on heroin, told him to lay back and not get too crazy, and recorded him in a different room.

I liked the chaotic ending, but the drums could really come up in level and energy.

Listened a couple of times with the morning coffee now.

1. The intro is a bit right sided. Can you stick the clean electric doing something on the left there to balance it out.
2. The fuzzed out electric doesn't sound great in the intro/verses - its just there too much. Why not wait to bring it in later? Maybe even leave it until "way to make me stay"
3. The clean electric on the left seems really up-front in my ear - in fact I think it might be both clean electrics.
4. Outro is cool as fuck, would have been really nice to get all those guitars to bend up to be in unison with eachother though.

Everything sounds pretty good, but the drums sound like an after thought almost.

Thanks for the listen and detailed feedback, rfr.
Yeah, the thing with the drums is that my two favorite styles of drums are rap/hip hop and jazz drums, so I think there's just a natural tendency to be minimal yet syncopate them, and that's what's going on here. I'll experiment and see if I can improve them.

Listened a couple of times with the morning coffee now.

1. The intro is a bit right sided. Can you stick the clean electric doing something on the left there to balance it out.
2. The fuzzed out electric doesn't sound great in the intro/verses - its just there too much. Why not wait to bring it in later? Maybe even leave it until "way to make me stay"
3. The clean electric on the left seems really up-front in my ear - in fact I think it might be both clean electrics.
4. Outro is cool as fuck, would have been really nice to get all those guitars to bend up to be in unison with eachother though.

Thanks JDOD!
You're right those clean guitars are a hair loud.

I will check out the other notes in the morning, thank you.

There's a noise that comes in at .12 that sounds like someone blowing a quiet rasberry, then it goes away when the vocal comes in. The little distorted guitar that comes in occasionally is a good idea, but the tone is a bit too distorted imo and sounds thin & indistinct. Good song though. Your vocal sounds uncannily like Lou Reed

Thanks Bull!
Yeah at .12 that's a fuzzy distortion. I wanted a "white noise" type thing just underlying. Long story why, but it goes back to my original demo of the song and wanting to stay true to that original idea.

I'm in bed on the laptop at the moment, so can't give an in-depth critique, but I'll listen properly later. I agree with most comments mentioned already. I love how the song builds up to, what was it, "a glorious mess"? :D Even so, I would drop those big guitars a dB or two, no more, just so the snare is never completely lost.

Lovely tune. Nice build. The kick has no beater...all thump, no attack. Very 70's vibe at the oversaturated guitar and flute part. :) Very nice. Nice guitar tones on the sides. Agree the distorted dual solo is a bit over the top, but not much.

I tend to like your songs and your style. Really honest and bare. Good song.

The clean guitar on the left sounds nice.

I like the vocal on this, pitchiness and all. It works well for me.

Snare sounded OK. Cymbals had a cheap sound to them. Not the typical SC hissiness. Just kind of a cheap cymbal sound.

The lead-ish guitars on both the left and right seems a bit out of tune.

Maybe the only change I would do to this mix is to raise the acoustic guitar a little bit. It sounds a little buried to me.

But the drums and bass sound really good and tight. You've got the bass right in this mix. It almosts complements the kick drum...its really nice sounding.
Love the guitars...and the vocals sound spot on. Your voice is killer, dude!

The song itself is really damn good.

Strengths: Nice clear clean vocals, the 6/8 feel of the bass, the two panned guitar sounds - how they answer each other during the vocals, the ending chaos.

Things I think could be better - the ride cymbal sounds kinda separate. Not sure if it's too loud or what. It just really sticks out to me. I think the ending could be a little more planned out. Work something out there. People don't focus on endings enough. Endings are important.

Listening with monitor headphones, I really like the guitars solo at 1.17 with the transverse flute, and the way the guitars come and go in the verses, it gives a cool surreal atmosphere.

everything sound good mix wise, I'll second ibleeburgundy, the ending ends pretty much abruptly, but this can be also in line with the idea of the song as well.But overall it is a cool tune with an unique style , very interesting, i like it though :)

I do like that outro. Kinda like early pumpkins when they were trying to be an acid rock band.

Some of the vocals are pretty pitchy. Like you're not sure what the notes are supposed to be.

The drums are a bit repetitive. I'd mostly blame that on the ride (my least favorite cymbal!)

+1 on the clean left lead being too up close.

I heard the "raspberry" noise that someone pointed out on page 1. That's a fuzz guitar, right? Seems fine to me.

Back