New Song - It's Not Over Yet

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Here's a new tune that mjhamil and I mixed this afternoon and would appreciate your thoughts on the overall balance.
A few new settings here and there and wondering if it all goes together well.
Let us know what you think. :)

It Not Over Yet

It feels claustrophobic in headphones.
The bvox are there but buried.
I think the rhythm guitars are too loud.
The lead guitar isn't loud enough.
The song sounds good.
The parts sound good too but the mix seems all "faders up".

I agree. The sound clashes with the vibe. This needs more air and a feeling space. The rhythm guitars are too forward. Doubled guitars hard panned aren't really needed IMO. I'd rather hear that guitar in one distinct place in the mix. I'd like to hear the positioning and levels as if I were listening to the band on a stage.

I like the kind of music you are doing. I'd be grateful for your comment on the song I have up.

I like the tune. Rhythm guitar seems a bit high in the mix and the vocal a little low. Just my two cents.

Played on HP only. I agree with rayc and track. Overall it is a very clean mix, bringing the rhythm guitars down, may help the vocals sit better. I liked the close sound. Not other nits on my end.

Many thanks for the listens and comments Ray, Rob, Track, DM.
I did drop the rhythms later in the mixing stage but sounds like a further cut would be in order. If we drop them the vocals should open up and sit a little better and take away some of the claustrophobia ;)
:D:D:D:D

Did a quick remix: dropped rhythm guitar level/ tightened balancing and a few other thing to compensate for changes. Any better?? Same link.

Still on HPs. I think this sits better. Vocals may even be a tad high (definitely maybe), but I not 100% sure. I would wait for other comments before touching them.

Much better. Still not crazy about the way the rhythm guitar is sitting. Level is better, but the double tracks hard panned (I think) cause the stereo image sit a bit too close to the lead vocalist in the center. If I were mixing this, I'd pan the rhythm guitar off to the right to get it out from under your vocalist and completely away from that lead guitar on the left. It sounds to me like both of the lead and rhythm guitar parts were played with the same or similar instruments, which causes them to tangle up in your mix. If you moved the rhythm right, a nice piano part would sound great panned left to balance it. Apart from all that the vocal does have more space. It still needs to pop out more. I don't think the level needs to come up too much, just a hair. You might achieve the same by carefully trimming frequencies in competing instruments.

It feels claustrophobic in headphones.
The bvox are there but buried.
I think the rhythm guitars are too loud.
The lead guitar isn't loud enough.
The song sounds good.
The parts sound good too but the mix seems all "faders up".

That's pretty much what I'm hearing too.

THere is a general cloudiness that I'm hearing too.

The mix is a bit on the narrow side. Most of the energy seems to be coming from the center, and not enough from the edges.

I took Robus' advice and remixed again with guitars seperated / panned to each side; seems to have helped, thanks! What do you think? (same link)

Things are a bit dry imho. Levels sound good. Things seem kind of squeezed together in the center. I think widening the image would fix that.

I agree. I don't know why those guitars aren't sitting better. Maybe just turn them way down?

It's a good song. I'm hearing steady improvement with each mix. I hate to keep going on about it, but it still seems congested. To my ears, the guitars are the root of all your troubles. Don't get me wrong--it's good playing. Just aren't quite sitting.

Is that rhythm guitar still doubled? If so, what would happen if you muted the double , then hard panned the primary rhythm guitar and turned down the level? Lower than you would think, almost too low? I'll bet the center of your mix would open up like magic.

That bass is playing a great line but sounds anemic in the mix. If you could clean up the middle, you could boost the level of the bass. Also, I think the harmony vocal is too loud. Again, if you cleared out the center, you could pan it just to one side and lower the level. It would still cut through if it didn't have to compete with the guitars.

All this is based on my current taste, and could be totally wrong for you. My quest lately has been to think of "space" or "air" as being like another instrument in the mix. That means asking, where will I pan it, how will I get it to sit with the other instruments? It sounds paradoxical, but it's been a kind of revelation for me. I'm turning down my rhythm guitars lower than ever before in my life, and really liking the effect. The secret to getting guitar levels low while still doing their job seems to be hard panning.

Have you thought of throwing this up on the Mix This! forum? Might be interesting to hear what a totally fresh set of ears might come up with.

Definitely helped. Best mix so far. Vocals are sounding clearer too now. Bass could come up.

Well, I seem to have missed all in mixing in steps. Any hows, what I just listened to is a great mix. Would I do things a little differently? Who wouldn't (I'd bring the drums up a little. There, I said it). This sounds like a mix to me.

great song man. To my ears the rythym guitars are a tad too loud, the back ground vocals are also a tad too loud, and the bass guitar isn't quite loud enough.
I enjoyed the tune!

Only listening to the current mix, of course - I think it sits well overall, but I don't like the roominess of the drums. To me it sounds like they are spread wide and far back.

Back