new "Pirates" mix

First thing I noticed was much better the drums sound from the original track. What you put that through??? Just a nice room reverb??? I like it alot.

Vocals are very clear, too. Nice low end to the bass. Everything seems alot clearer, too. Great stuff, snake.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Drums and bass really carry the bottom well. How are the guitars panned? Once in a while, they seem to fight for space with your vox. You might need to tweak the upper end of the guitars and the vocals to give them each their own space. Other than that, see what you come up with.

It's a fun tune, and the playing is great as usual man... :D

RAMI said:
First thing I noticed was much better the drums sound from the original track. What you put that through??? Just a nice room reverb??? I like it alot.

Vocals are very clear, too. Nice low end to the bass. Everything seems alot clearer, too. Great stuff, snake.

Thanks for checking it out again mate. For the drums:
I gave the original track an EQ boost at 2k
Then I added a new double track, widened that in the stereo image, gave it an EQ boost at 4k and in the kick frequency, the double track kind of thickened it and added a bit of verby feel

The vox, I removed all verb and I put them a little "too loud" in my opinion since when they always sound right to me, everybody says bring them up :D :)
AARRGHH!

Dogman said:
Drums and bass really carry the bottom well. How are the guitars panned? Once in a while, they seem to fight for space with your vox. You might need to tweak the upper end of the guitars and the vocals to give them each their own space. Other than that, see what you come up with.

It's a fun tune, and the playing is great as usual man... :D

Thanks dog, guitars...
Dirty lead 45% right
Dirty rhythm 45% left
clean lead 20% right
clean rhythm 20% left
The tricky thing is that I switch the roles of the lead and rhythm several times, so it's harder to mix that way, I'll mess with it some more then

For the multi vox parts....
Two lead vox in the center
Backup 1 35% right
Backup 2 35% left

Thanks again dog, glad you have fun with the tune and that you and RAMI like the bottom end so far, I think I've spent more time on that than anything, mixing bass has never been my thing ;)

Snakedog - this mix is better....but I still find bits where the vocals are competing with the guitars (chorus mainly). The leads in those areas might come down a tad too. The panning you specified should have this separating the parts so maybe eq/volume might work. The verses are right on the money for tone/mix overall... I like the way you've pulled up your vocals generally, they're now the focal point of the song. The outro's are cool....

Once again I have to repeat that I love what you did with my drum track. Maybe I should let you produce me!!!!:D :D :D
But I agree with others that said that you should maybe pan those guitars out a bit more. They're fighting with the vocals at times. That deep bass is beautiful too.

OK, the song rocks. The bass is just super cool with the heavy end.

In some places the bass seems to be pushing my home theater system to its limits. :). Still sounds cool but might be a tad high in the low end.

The guitar are wrestling with the vocals in places. I'd say maybe boost the vox in around 3kHz area and cut guitars in that area. Also maybe raise the vox a little more. Just a tad. It's a cool song so why shouldn't someone be able to hear the words and make out the story without having to find the lyrics? :)

Cool song, and nice mix. :)

Cool bananas & riding higher in the Sounclick charts too.
Robert Quinne would be proud of your off the wall guitar & Richard Hell of your snotty as hell vocal.
The bottom end rreally does a great job of anchoring this & the dubbing of the bass really is effective.

I didn't catch the original mix....I juts absolutly dig that phat phat bass sound ya got here...guitar is so cool and in your own style..I salute you for that ..it's hard to be original sounding and I think you really achieve that with your music...always very interesting to listen to.Man..that bass...did I mention how great that sounds?Great job Snake!

Sweet I remember the old version.

I think this one has improved the levels sit better IMHO.

The ramster has also been brought up a bit, wich is way cool.

The vox are so theatric, you`d make Peter Hamill take a bow.

great work mate

ido1957 said:
Snakedog - this mix is better....but I still find bits where the vocals are competing with the guitars (chorus mainly). The leads in those areas might come down a tad too. The panning you specified should have this separating the parts so maybe eq/volume might work. The verses are right on the money for tone/mix overall... I like the way you've pulled up your vocals generally, they're now the focal point of the song. The outro's are cool....

Thanks ido, appreciate the second listen. Seems like everyone agrees the vox fight for space during the chorus. I uploaded a new mix this morning, just a little different. I EQed everything away from the vox a bunch more cause there was a bunch up at 2k. I'll wait a bit and listen again, but I think that thins out the guitar too much at other times. So idealy I'll probably just EQ the guitars during the chorus. :)

RAMI said:
Once again I have to repeat that I love what you did with my drum track. Maybe I should let you produce me!!!!:D :D :D
But I agree with others that said that you should maybe pan those guitars out a bit more. They're fighting with the vocals at times. That deep bass is beautiful too.

Haha, thanks man. I would produce you, in fact it's too bad I missed out on your mix contest. I started that up and your tracking was excellent so I was going to have some fun totally weirdifing your song, but ending up dropping out because of a bunch of computer problems those few weeks.
I'm going to fix up that vocal boxing match.
That bass, I spent some time on it since I want that to kind of drive the song... so basically I'm going to write down all those settings are start with that for pretty much everything I do now :D cheers Captain R

bigbubba said:
OK, the song rocks. The bass is just super cool with the heavy end.

In some places the bass seems to be pushing my home theater system to its limits. :). Still sounds cool but might be a tad high in the low end.

The guitar are wrestling with the vocals in places. I'd say maybe boost the vox in around 3kHz area and cut guitars in that area. Also maybe raise the vox a little more. Just a tad. It's a cool song so why shouldn't someone be able to hear the words and make out the story without having to find the lyrics? :)

Cool song, and nice mix. :)

Thanks Captain Bubba for listening again. I'll check out the bass, IMO sounds just right on my surround system, but I want to see how it sounds on other systems too. I was working on this again this morning and found a pretty big bunch up between vocals and guitar at 2k, so I'm trying to fix that. If EQing doesn't end up working, I'll just bring up the vox more. Weird how a vocal track that I did two takes on ends up being the vocal point of this song. That "rapping" part you were refering too was just lack of writing, I ending up writing too many lyrics to fit the part, so I had to sing it really fast :D Thanks again man, appreciate it :)

rayc said:
Cool bananas & riding higher in the Sounclick charts too.
Robert Quinne would be proud of your off the wall guitar & Richard Hell of your snotty as hell vocal.
The bottom end rreally does a great job of anchoring this & the dubbing of the bass really is effective.

RayCaptain, I really need to check out this Richard Hell guy. I know you've refered to him a few times, so I need hear him :D Thanks about the bass, I think for the new mix I compressed the bass enough that the jumping all over the fretboard didn't effect the volume too much. I'm mainly a guitarist, but love playing bass too :D

variaxman said:
I didn't catch the original mix....I juts absolutly dig that phat phat bass sound ya got here...guitar is so cool and in your own style..I salute you for that ..it's hard to be original sounding and I think you really achieve that with your music...always very interesting to listen to.Man..that bass...did I mention how great that sounds?Great job Snake!

Axeman, thanks man! I've always had problems with the low end in songs so I thought I'd spend a lot of time messing around with it, comparing it to professional recordings. I thought this article was a pretty good help http://www.alexandermagazine.com/recordingeq/eq/req0104/bass.htm
I'm going to make sure to write down all the bass settings so I can start with that for the next song. Glad you dig the guitar too, cause you rock man! Always dig your stuff :D

Nakatira said:
Sweet I remember the old version.

I think this one has improved the levels sit better IMHO.

The ramster has also been brought up a bit, wich is way cool.

The vox are so theatric, you`d make Peter Hamill take a bow.

great work mate

Thanks Nak, appreciate your opinon. It's always a pleasure playing along with captain Ramster, some fun stuff. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks about the vox, I'm trying to get better at that stuff :D :)

Back