Mona

K-dub

It's kind of heartwarming and bittersweet. With the mixes I've posted on the board recently, I'm going back to material worked on a decade ago or so ago, and remixing with new tools and new knowledge gained in the interim. It's a challenge doing so, both from the aspect of very little of the tools I employed a decade ago (that I have now) work now. So I have to retool every project opened as I dust them off for remixing.

This was, at one time, a raucous board; filled with a bunch of new to recording folks sorting out the "how to do". Folks back then, some dead now, knew I had a penchant for "remixing". Not even I thought I'd be back over a decade later, still redoing.

I must admit it, I'm better at it now and have better tools. I missed the social aspect of making music live though (this is the internet aspect), and so I started a band. That project came to a screeching halt during covid.

The truth is that none of us were ever going to break the ceiling of popularity via the internet. To use the internet effectively, one must have looks (like Paul McCartney in his day - or Taylor Swift today). Truth told, music is sexual or cerebral.

When I was young, I used it as a sexual lure. It worked. I'm now 43 years with my capture. As I aged, I became more cerebral.

But though I grew up JUST beyond the crest of the wave of musicians that dominated the culture (I was 15 years beyond), I was as good as that time. Back then, I had the sexual component. God help me now. The music as as good as any age. It just never caught the airwaves that culturized it. The internet dawned and we all thought media was open to us NOW. Lol. No.

I didn't go into the biz. I didn't trust it. Trust in muse is an admitance of acceptance of infidelity.

Mona:

Don't waste your good life
On Mona

There's no good reason to go there
You'll find out when she gets close
All too soon.

She'll bring you nothing but sorrow
And you'll start dreading tomorrow
Time is a thing you can't borrow
So cut her loose

Like staying out late on Sunday
And paying for it on Monday
Things just get lost in a vague haze ...
Quite an unpleasant surprise

Hey You
just look at them all
just look at them all
taking the long way home

Not I
I'm smarter than them
And it'll take years to get the way I am

Yes I'm smart
Smart, but lonely
And so I cry
On cold shoulders

If I'm so smart
Then why the hell do I still suffer?
Why the hell do I still try?
Tell me ...

For dreams go on forever
So live for today
And count all your blessings
You've got to
Treasure every day

Dreams are the one place
Where fantasy escapes
But don't bet your life on dreams

For they lead on forever
So live for today
Just count all your blessings
And treasure every day

Reactions: RFR
This sounds pretty good. The style with this song is somewhat like early McCartney's solo thru Wings era, with your vocal not unlike McCartney's in those early years. The song arrangement and melody have a slight Beatlesque/McCartney tinge.

As far as the ‘sexuality’ aspect of the music biz, yeah, it’s a young persons game. Once that breakthrough happens, they’ll let you stay around as long as you continue making them money. The stones are pretty damn old and seeing Mick dancing around on stage is miles away from any sexiness.

Good news, is many talented youngsters never get anywhere either. Well, not sure how that’s good news 😂

But, the actual good news is we ALL can be rockstars in our own minds. :) And good music is listened to, it doesn’t have to be an MTV experience. You can be fat, ugly, old, and missing a leg. The speakers won’t give you away.😂

All things aside, that was a great tune.
Thanks!

As far as the ‘sexuality’ aspect of the music biz, yeah, it’s a young persons game. Once that breakthrough happens, they’ll let you stay around as long as you continue making them money. The stones are pretty damn old and seeing Mick dancing around on stage is miles away from any sexiness.

Good news, is many talented youngsters never get anywhere either. Well, not sure how that’s good news 😂

But, the actual good news is we ALL can be rockstars in our own minds. :) And good music is listened to, it doesn’t have to be an MTV experience. You can be fat, ugly, old, and missing a leg. The speakers won’t give you away.😂

All things aside, that was a great tune.
Thanks!
Damn. The speakers must have given me away!! I've still got two legs ... even if they don't work as well as they used to.

:D

Last edited:
This sounds pretty good. The style with this song is somewhat like early McCartney's solo thru Wings era, with your vocal not unlike McCartney's in those early years. The song arrangement and melody have a slight Beatlesque/McCartney tinge.
Very much accurate. I had the backside of Abbey Road in mind while writing it.

My only comment would be that I would make the drums a bit drier. They sound too "ambient" for all the rest of the track, especially the snare. As far as the song, great job. I really enjoyed it, lots of nice elements with the changes in both tempo and instrumentation.

My only comment would be that I would make the drums a bit drier. They sound too "ambient" for all the rest of the track, especially the snare. As far as the song, great job. I really enjoyed it, lots of nice elements with the changes in both tempo and instrumentation.
Thank you! I'd kind of thought similar, and your comment confirms. Completely dry sounds a little dull, and I have a tight room verb on it, but it still needs to marry better.

Back